Y'all and dogs

So I like to study outdoor culture and subcultures, find it interesting how eveyone tends to hunt fish trap ect and how they specialize in certain things. Well gotta say you guys in the UK have to have one of the biggest obsessions ( and I truly mean that in the best way possible so please don't get bent outta shape) when it comes to dogs. Noticed when someone posts anything and there's a dog y'all key in on that dog. Asking about the breed, blood line ect.

Dont think I've seen it as engrained in hunting culture with anywhere elese like y'all.  Well there some stuff over here that gets close honunds men over here can be pretty.. perticular...But still not quite to extent of you guys. 

What with that ? Seriously from a historical and cultural perspective? I remember seeing some stuff in the history channel about most kings back in the gap had huge kennels full of different breeds for different purposes. Need to find that documentary again , was really good...... Anyhow anyone able to shed some light on this for me? 

• Like 1

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Man idk what's with you honestly. Yes is polar opposite hence why I'm curious and asking I'm trying to expand my knowledge my guy.  So yes I will show my confusion I will say what think. That's how yo

There’s nothing wrong with wanting the best of things imho mate, I like good kit for anything I do and that extended to not wanting an absolute article at the end of a slip (and believe me, I have had

By far and large yes. But equally that type know f**k all about breeding really, and their interest in blood is superficial, beginning and ending with a bit of paper with some red on it. The lads that

Posted Images

The UK is the home of a lot of the 'globally recognised' working breeds. Germany seems to have produced a fair few too.

I think it's a lot down to the type of fieldsports we have over here, it's virtually all small game, which suits or needs dogs. From there it just becomes an ingrained part of our culture.

Ain't it the same story for small game hunters in the states? Only difference being small game is seen as a bit of a side show to the big game stuff.

Edited by Born Hunter
20 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Honestly can’t imagine life without a dog out an about with me

Same have had dogs around em my entire life, just not into all the breeds blood lines yadda yadda. Heck I pick most of my dogs up off the side of the road as strays.

3 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

I think it's a lot down to the type of fieldsports we have over here, it's virtually all small game, which suits or needs dogs. From there it just becomes an ingrained part of our culture.

Ain't it the same story for small game hunters in the states? Only difference being small game is seen as a bit of a side show to the big game stuff.

Well it's a bit different. Hound hunting for some is just in there blood and can be a regional thing to. Down here the main dog runners you have are rabbit dogs ,coon  dogs , squirrel dogs hog dogs to a lesser extent, and deer dogs. You also have coyote and fox dog runners but they keep in the pens for the most part.  For alot of them guys it's tradition and family and they just pain love dogs. Now with like the coon and rabbit guys it can just be the most efficient mean to hunt them due to how our game works. Generally you not going to spot and stock snap rabbits or cotton tails . They live in the briars and thickets and you need the dogs to flush them . Same with hog dogs. Lotta places you need bay and catch dogs if you really wanna get them. The deer dogs can have some controversy.

Fox and coyote guys just like hearing their dogs run. Also alot of money in competition and what not down here.

Then up north you got the bear and mountain lion guy's bear guys are more like coon hunters it seems but the guys running big cats , well that one if the most efficient means to go after them. 

Then you got guys out with THEIR coyote dogs and that's a complete different deal. Same with the decoy and denning dogs. 

Then theirs the bird hunters and that just a book on its self

• Like 1

It’s because some people think blood matters, me being one of them.

And I say that with no connotations to anything other than dogs.

I don’t known much about the particular area of dogs but I believe over there well recognised breeders of pit dogs thought the same.

• Like 4
5 minutes ago, WILF said:

I don’t known much about the particular area of dogs but I believe over there well recognised breeders of pit dogs thought the same.

I was about to say that. It's probably hard for foreigners to understand but class and therefore heritage is a big subconscious part of British culture. It seems only natural then that we are obsessive about breeding.

Just now, Born Hunter said:

I was about to say that. It's probably hard for foreigners to understand but class and therefore heritage is a big subconscious part of British culture. It seems only natural then that we are obsessive about breeding.

More than subconscious mate, I think anyone who has invested time in honing a line of dogs will tell you that it’s a reality.

The cell is immortal to all intents and purposes.

1 minute ago, WILF said:

More than subconscious mate, I think anyone who has invested time in honing a line of dogs will tell you that it’s a reality.

The cell is immortal to all intents and purposes.

Of course. I meant the belief and behaviour as a result of it. Many people are acting on prejudices based on a persons breeding without even realising it. Classic example is inverted snobbery. As a nation we very much value and judge based on heritage and 'tribe'. In no small part due to our nations being formed around ethnic groups and a long history of aristocracy.

PS. this subject matter isn't explosive at all...:whistling:

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Wolfdog91 said:

So I like to study outdoor culture and subcultures, find it interesting how eveyone tends to hunt fish trap ect and how they specialize in certain things. Well gotta say you guys in the UK have to have one of the biggest obsessions ( and I truly mean that in the best way possible so please don't get bent outta shape) when it comes to dogs. Noticed when someone posts anything and there's a dog y'all key in on that dog. Asking about the breed, blood line ect.

Dont think I've seen it as engrained in hunting culture with anywhere elese like y'all.  Well there some stuff over here that gets close honunds men over here can be pretty.. perticular...But still not quite to extent of you guys. 

What with that ? Seriously from a historical and cultural perspective? I remember seeing some stuff in the history channel about most kings back in the gap had huge kennels full of different breeds for different purposes. Need to find that documentary again , was really good...... Anyhow anyone able to shed some light on this for me? 

Do you have Pedigree cattle in the US mate ?

May be a silly question because I’m sure you do ?

6 minutes ago, WILF said:

Do you have Pedigree cattle in the US mate ?

May be a silly question because I’m sure you do ?

Sure do but honestly when we start talking about a Angus x sambra or something like that I'm lost. 

15 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

Of course. I meant the belief and behaviour as a result of it. Many people are acting on prejudices based on a persons breeding without even realising it. Classic example is inverted snobbery. As a nation we very much value and judge based on heritage and 'tribe'. In no small part due to our nations being formed around ethnic groups and a long history of aristocracy.

PS. this subject matter isn't explosive at all...:whistling:

991410032_1322615842122(1).jpg.7dbd8a9ac31269653256c102ca1fc059.jpg

Boy I see where this is going ......

Anyway idk don't really get alot if it. Rather have a mutt most of the time then a pure bred. 

36 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

O no trust me it's very well known...trust me but before we get off topic,back to dogs ..

46 minutes ago, WILF said:

Egh I know people will pay $2500 for a red papered red nose pit that don't do anything but sit on the end of a chain. Idiotic if you ask me but each to their own

40 minutes ago, Wolfdog91 said:

Sure do but honestly when we start talking about a Angus x sambra or something like that I'm lost. 

Same principal then mate, breeding for specific desirable genetic traits.

Its all basically trying to stack odds in your favour, if you are going to invest time, energy, miles and money in a dog (or a cow) for a job then you may as well give yourself the best chances.

jmho