• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Why complicate things ? Keep the guinea fowl enclosed and feed them at the same time every day until they start coming to to you at feed time, and they are "hanted" as we say up here, just like h

We keep gleanies,  I love them, they are brain dead, hysterical, noisy, ruthless,  comical little dinosaurs.  As I sit here now I have 38 eggs in the incubator that went in yesterday . When they are k

I’ve been to Jamaica a few times and I love tree frogs sitting there nice and warm a few beers a rum chaser listening to this there’s not much finer things in life I believe but then I am easily pleas

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, Ken's Deputy said:

Sorry. I was just guessing Canadian frogs and toads probably sound about as dissimilar as British ones. Dunno.

No mate,there's over a dozen frog and toad species local including a tree frog species, back in the UK there was lots of Marsh frogs where I lived, never saw them further north. 

:icon_eek: Tree Frog? Fukk! Happen to know what sort? I used to Really like my tree frogs! :D

Was in a chat room, the other week. Someone lashed up a clip of a snek, hanging onto a tree frogs foot.

Now, given the demographic of this room, I figured it would be American. But, my own knowledge of tree frogs told me, despite the illogic, that That was a Cuban Tree Frog. It had no business being in urban north america.

Asked if the frog was known to be a Cuban ~ because I felt it matched the visual criteria. No one knew. Just some clip they'd found.

Googled it. Couldn't let it rest! :D And, guess what? Seems, in recent years, Cuban Tree Frogs have become a 'pest' species in Florida. Along with so many former pets.

Nearly thirty years, and I still nailed a particular Tree Frog, completely divorced from where one might expect to see one! From a mobile phone clip in a chat room! Because I Know my shit! :boogy:

No good on GF. But, with toads I can hold my own :good:

• Haha 1

I’ve been to Jamaica a few times and I love tree frogs sitting there nice and warm a few beers a rum chaser listening to this there’s not much finer things in life I believe but then I am easily pleased….

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, Ken's Deputy said:

Actually, Drift; I do Love the call of peacocks ;) Overall though, they just don't fascinate me like the Guineas do.

I passed by a gamekeepers cottage a while back, and there was a peacock stood on the wall, I thought it was stirling, but they say the Guineas are the best watchdogs 

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Ken's Deputy said:

:clapper: Fukkin Lovely, Flattop! And I recreated that, in an inner city two up! :yes:

I have seen tropical jungles recreated in a lot of inner city two ups ? 

• Haha 1

Exactly, mate. GF are said to be useful alarm systems ~ as well as just adding a splash of Some fukking thing to ther place. (It's 'Boring', round here, mate. Nothing around me but grass. No rabbits. Nothing just to See. Ye with me?)

But, yeah, pea's? Dunno. My immediate thought is that one would become an over night idiot magnet. Word would spread like wild fire that there's something that'll make ye cock grow bigger, if ye become the idiot to shoot it. I don't need that sort of shit.

Dunno. If someone gave me one? Sure. Yeah. I'd fukkin love it! I'd certainly feed the thing. I'd like to give it a try, actually. Only; Don't they cost a bob or two?

And, again, sadly; We're straight back to the shit about what happens when I let it go / keeping it decently, till it Wants to stay :(

Shame.

2 hours ago, Paulnix said:

Gleany would be the local term, I am ashamed to say I thought Guinea fowl was completely different until a few years ago ! 

I've heard my neighbour say similar about a fox circling to get a Gleany to get dizzy and fall out the tree, they supposed to make great guards but if they get caught that easy or just piss off somewhere else you maybe better off with a dog ! 

Or a big farm goose

I remember a few people took hatchlings home from the Zoo when i was a lad, adults will just head back home, successfully or not depending on distance, so chicks are easier if aiming for free range. But they need to be housed until fully feathered and able to fly, so at least a temporary shelter and run will be required for a couple of months and then expect to lose a few at the beginning of their free ranging, then regularly thereafter, so start with more than you want.

Ps if young chicks ad in heat lamp.

• Thanks 1