Unlucky terriers?

24 minutes ago, THE GENERAL said:

I understand what your saying mate. Surely though it’s not walkabout if everytime they’re leaving a spot they’re getting on again in another part of the place only to work it to the original spot where the dog had settled at the beginning, then this on repeat. Then settle and that’s the result 

What if the others won't shift, does the terrier keep moving between both and get none dug or work the easier one, does the terrier let stuff past it and work it to a stopend, how does it know which is in the stopend lol. You know what I mean. 

Next lads will be saying their terrier is that smart it can push stuff to the shallow end of the earth's for a easier dig. Lol. 

• Like 1

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Terrier working educated game will have  there work cut out with the one never mind running an earth to round up the rest 

Was he getting pushed around or was he rounding them all up first as he had them all stopped up when you broke through?..

Quarry will move through an earth when getting worked and sometimes end up in a pocket with others.. Its really that simple.. If a terrier is leaving one to go in search of another so it can push it t

Posted Images

12 hours ago, THE GENERAL said:

Seen a young bitch do that one day. Got on and went to the end of the bank, only to run back into different parts and return to the same end another 3 times. We dug her with 4. 
A great bitch she turned out to be. 

Unlucky terriers?
Unlucky isn’t when you’ve a good one! Its losing the likes and nothing out of it or anything to replace it.

I've read a couple of tales about Park dogs doing just that ?

7 minutes ago, Bosun11 said:

I've read a couple of tales about Park dogs doing just that ?

I can understand a young excitable dog knowing there's more than one in an earth and moving between both but for a terrier to actively move round an earth rounding quarry up into a stop and then working them all... Na not buying that one tiny bit. 

• Like 2

The terrier of which I spoke was dug 100 ft north of where I thought he was getting pushed.He had not been on that end of the set all morning but was dug there at The end with 3 coons.He didn't find one then leave it for another.Some how he manged to get all 3 coons to the far north end without him running one at a time to that stopend.I honestly don't know how he did it.

I remember  being 5 years old ,riding a mule with my father and his coonhounds.The hounds would be running full cry.I would say,Daddy what are they tracking,He would reply I don't know son,I can't smell it.When my daughter asks me what a terrier is doing I say I don't know,I can't see it ?

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, dogmandont said:

I can understand a young excitable dog knowing there's more than one in an earth and moving between both but for a terrier to actively move round an earth rounding quarry up into a stop and then working them all... Na not buying that one tiny bit. 

Everyone is entitled to there own opinion mate. I get where your coming from and I agree with you on what your saying. Suppose sometimes seeing is believing, none of the lads that were present would be in anyway wet behind the ears when it comes to terriers. The bitch in question was as good a bitch any man would want to grace their yard.

Edited by THE GENERAL
  • Like 1

I have seen a young terrier on his first ever dig be on a mark for 5 minutes and go off mark but traveling fast as reading was going from 1.2 to 9 metres and 18 but also go back to first mark and stay there... Broke  through and 3 in the end... Same terrier this his second season...dog has never put a foot wrong..also dug a terrier bitch recently and she was sounding not her usual style...so after 15 to 20 minutes in same spot we decided maybe she couldn't get to her fox so decided to go in and see what the story was...if she couldn't get on or what..broke through at a metre she had a dog fox in her mouth and barking out the side of her mouth at another behind it.

• Haha 2
On 30/01/2022 at 15:33, dogmandont said:

Why’s that so hard too work out ferrets round rabbits into stop ends of the terrier runs them the. Same way pushing them into the same end then it os working them all I don’t get why you think this os such a myth it seems pretty simple too me 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, deeley24 said:

Why’s that so hard too work out ferrets round rabbits into stop ends of the terrier runs them the. Same way pushing them into the same end then it os working them all I don’t get why you think this os such a myth it seems pretty simple too me 

Quarry will move through an earth when getting worked and sometimes end up in a pocket with others.. Its really that simple.. If a terrier is leaving one to go in search of another so it can push it to the  stop.end with the other so it can work them both then that idea in my opinion is rubbish.  

If a terrier wants to go rambling through an earth looking for others to work instead of working what's in front it then it's only half hearted and is on its way to jacking completely. If you've seen different then that's fair enough. 

• Like 5
58 minutes ago, fireman said:

Anyone seen a terrier come out a earth to try another entrance to see if it can get to it's quarry any easier?,now is that a working brain working or is it a dog that's not commited to it's task?.

Depends what you want out of a dog , seen dogs that work rock piles do as you say but you get your bolts same dogs work earths the same way come out drop back in most times get your bolt and have worked all there life this way ?

1 hour ago, fireman said:

Anyone seen a terrier come out a earth to try another entrance to see if it can get to it's quarry any easier?,now is that a working brain working or is it a dog that's not commited to it's task?.

Totally different circumstances than the terrier doing a sheepdog trail underground, but if a terrier makes a habit of showing and looking another way in then it definitely isn't committed to being a digging dog. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
2 minutes ago, dogmandont said:

Totally different circumstances than the terrier doing a sheepdog trail underground, but if a terrier makes a habit of showing and looking another way in then it definitely isn't committed to being a digging dog. 

Why because it uses its brain to see if it can find another route rather then trying to dig on? 

• Like 1