Unlucky terriers?

I have a terrier here who when out digging he always ends up on a deeper than normal dig or in a bad spot and usually with a big boar coon.I took him out yesterday to a spot I know well.Its a rangey place but shallow.I assumed I could get this terrier an easy dig.He was getting pushed around for nearly an hour and I was becoming disappointed as this terrier has never given an inch.Finally when he settled I dug him at 2 foot.He had a large boar and 2 sow coons packed in a small stopend like sardines.?My disappointment  was gone.It did make me wonder is this terrier so unlucky he will never have an easy one.I was just wondering  has anyone else ever had a terrier that seemed unlucky? As in you couldn't get them an easy one no matter how you tried? 

• Like 1

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Terrier working educated game will have  there work cut out with the one never mind running an earth to round up the rest 

Was he getting pushed around or was he rounding them all up first as he had them all stopped up when you broke through?..

Quarry will move through an earth when getting worked and sometimes end up in a pocket with others.. Its really that simple.. If a terrier is leaving one to go in search of another so it can push it t

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Wideboy said:

How does a hard terrier fare out with raccoons? Will they kill them in ground? 

As a rough guideline I would expect a terrier to kill a coon his same size.Problem is a twenty pound coon can fit into places the size of a man's fist.So you need a 12 pound terrier who is now facing a twenty pound boar coon.Highly unlikely to kill a coon like this.The terrier mentioned above is twelve pounds,mute and was facing a twenty pound boar and two 15 pound sows.He will need close to 3 weeks rest just guessing.Hope this helps.

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, Wideboy said:

So hunting a “standard” size terrier n the US is not possible do with the tubes being so tight. I take it they would never get to their quarry? 

My father kept jagterriers  ranging in size from 20-25 pounds.They could make it to the coon about 50 percent  of the time.He kept them mostly for hoghunting.I started with 20 pound terriers with the work style I liked and inbred until I got them small.Most people who keep terriers over 20 pounds here are working barns or rarely digging or they bullshitters?

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

Rick,will the terrier fair better/finish quicker against the same coon if it's  above ground??? I would imagine he uses his front paws/hands to grab/hold the dog?

I believe  coon is easier above ground.Not easier to dispatch but the terrier takes much less damage above ground.When i broke through to the terrier mentioned above there was two hands digging in his eyes,two hands digging in his ears and two hands digging in his mouth. like a bunch of monkeys with fingernails ?

9 minutes ago, Rickshaw swami said:

I believe  coon is easier above ground.Not easier to dispatch but the terrier takes much less damage above ground.When i broke through to the terrier mentioned above there was two hands digging in his eyes,two hands digging in his ears and two hands digging in his mouth. like a bunch of monkeys with fingernails ?

???