Unlucky terriers?

On 26/01/2022 at 08:02, Aussie Whip said:

Over here any terrier that does any sort of work is lucky to live to a decent age with the snakes. I lost both these to them, mother and son.

IMG_E0520 (1).JPG

What's the most common venomous snake in your area A/w 

I think I'd pack uk ferreting or any kind of digging if I lived in oz 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Terrier working educated game will have  there work cut out with the one never mind running an earth to round up the rest 

Was he getting pushed around or was he rounding them all up first as he had them all stopped up when you broke through?..

Quarry will move through an earth when getting worked and sometimes end up in a pocket with others.. Its really that simple.. If a terrier is leaving one to go in search of another so it can push it t

Posted Images

On 26/01/2022 at 09:02, Aussie Whip said:

Over here any terrier that does any sort of work is lucky to live to a decent age with the snakes. I lost both these to them, mother and son.

IMG_E0520 (1).JPG

May seem a stupid question but do you not carry anti-venom, knowing you’re working the dogs around snakes etc?

12 minutes ago, mushroom said:

May seem a stupid question but do you not carry anti-venom, knowing you’re working the dogs around snakes etc?

I think each antivenom is specific to the animal that bit you so you'd have to carry them all with you and I'd imagine they aren't cheap?

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Moocher71 said:

What's the most common venomous snake in your area A/w 

Unfortunately it is the Eastern Brown, the worlds second deadliest land snake. Here's two the terriers prepared earlier lol. Only hunt in Winter now but you still need to watch out as I've seen the less deadly to humans but still fatal to dogs Black snakes about then.

IMG_0729.JPG

15 minutes ago, mushroom said:

May seem a stupid question but do you not carry anti-venom, knowing you’re working the dogs around snakes etc

I don't know anyone who does and it costs thousands with an expiry date. I had one terrier treated at the vets, cost over $2500 and she got bitten two weeks later and died. They aren't right again even if you can save them ☹️.

11 minutes ago, gnipper said:

I think each antivenom is specific to the animal that bit you so you'd have to carry them all with you and I'd imagine they aren't cheap?

The antivenom now treats most types of Oz snake bite. 

Edited by Aussie Whip
  • Like 1
5 minutes ago, Aussie Whip said:

I don't know anyone who does and it costs thousands with an expiry date. I had one terrier treated at the vets, cost over $2500 and she got bitten two weeks later and died. They aren't right again even if you can save them ☹️.

Kinell!

I suppose like Gnipper said, if each one is tailored to a specific species and you don’t see what bit the dog you have the added cnut of giving the wrong anti-venom wasting money and losing a dog. What about spiders? Do they they nail the dogs as much?

20 minutes ago, mushroom said:

What about spiders? Do they they nail the dogs as much?

I've never heard of spiders here killing dogs but you see lumps that could be bites at times. The whippets kill spiders in the house and snakes outside, like they know they are a danger and hate them.

• Thanks 1
On 25/01/2022 at 18:12, fireman said:

Was he getting pushed around or was he rounding them all up first as he had them all stopped up when you broke through?..

Seen a young bitch do that one day. Got on and went to the end of the bank, only to run back into different parts and return to the same end another 3 times. We dug her with 4. 
A great bitch she turned out to be. 

Unlucky terriers?
Unlucky isn’t when you’ve a good one! Its losing the likes and nothing out of it or anything to replace it.

Edited by THE GENERAL
  • Like 4
9 hours ago, THE GENERAL said:

Seen a young bitch do that one day. Got on and went to the end of the bank, only to run back into different parts and return to the same end another 3 times. We dug her with 4. 
A great bitch she turned out to be. 

Unlucky terriers?
Unlucky isn’t when you’ve a good one! Its losing the likes and nothing out of it or anything to replace it.

Isn't that just coming away?? should the bitch not of been working what was in front of her and not leaving to go walk abouts. 

I've seen terriers go walk about and when dug with more than 1 in the pot it's always been for the same reason. 

2 hours ago, dogmandont said:

Isn't that just coming away?? should the bitch not of been working what was in front of her and not leaving to go walk abouts. 

I've seen terriers go walk about and when dug with more than 1 in the pot it's always been for the same reason. 

The men in the field that day myself included and the way the hunt was going all believed the bitch to be rounding them up. Once she’d settled long enough and was dug too that was the result.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, THE GENERAL said:

The men in the field that day myself included and the way the hunt was going all believed the bitch to be rounding them up. Once she’d settled long enough and was dug too that was the result.

I've seen similar situations and heard lads say the same but it's just my opinion that the terrier just doesn't want to work what's in front of it, maybe different in a young dog just learning but the 3 times that stand out to me, twice with the same terrier, both began going walkabout regularly till both eventually jacked. 

This is just my opinion by the way. 

20 minutes ago, dogmandont said:

I've seen similar situations and heard lads say the same but it's just my opinion that the terrier just doesn't want to work what's in front of it, maybe different in a young dog just learning but the 3 times that stand out to me, twice with the same terrier, both began going walkabout regularly till both eventually jacked. 

This is just my opinion by the way. 

I understand what your saying mate. Surely though it’s not walkabout if everytime they’re leaving a spot they’re getting on again in another part of the place only to work it to the original spot where the dog had settled at the beginning, then this on repeat. Then settle and that’s the result 

Edited by THE GENERAL