Downsizing

Getting a bit old and my body can’t take too much now so just a shout out to anyone who has been self employed or ran thier own business then gone and become an employee on a monthly payed full time job.fills me with horror if I’m honest not being able to come and go as I please and finishing work at 5 pm to 6 pm for less money .????????

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I do everything I do for my 3 and my Mrs...that's my world,I wouldn't change it,so  long as I got a hole in my arse??

i gave it best about 15 years ago ,just got sick of all the shite , ,just make a few knives and bits and bobs ,out with the dogs ,dont know how i found time for work  ,fk it enjoy your time while your

I'm retired now but worked till 66. In my early 60s was working on the cards as a maintenance manager but had a row with the owner and walked off the job. After taking dip shit jobs agency work etc yo

Posted Images

Since moving jobs a few weeks back I have massively reduced my hours. My choose though.

Unfortunately I miss the money but I have enough to pay whats needed.

f**k it lifes to short to be at work all the time if you don't need too..

And after years doing 12 hour night shifts 5,7 days a week I feel better for it

• Like 4

What role have you taken Q?!

like you I’ve been laying bricks far too long and it’s taken it’s toll.. fcuked knees, plastic spacers in me back and a dodgy shoulder?

been getting asked for last 20 year to run sites and the answers still the same?

must be mad but I’d last about 5 mins in the office, I’ll keep spanking the ibruphropen and chucking blocks about… wish I’d never watched alf vedersain pet when I was at school?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Best move I made if I'm honest doesn't suit everyone now I get pension paid sick pay(not that I'm off eye opener though how many play the game).paid holidays go into work switch off do my hours leave dont have to think about work getting rained off pricing jobs ordering materials chasing everything up getting let down off people etc etc.

23 minutes ago, si brown said:

What role have you taken Q?!

like you I’ve been laying bricks far too long and it’s taken it’s toll.. fcuked knees, plastic spacers in me back and a dodgy shoulder?

been getting asked for last 20 year to run sites and the answers still the same?

must be mad but I’d last about 5 mins in the office, I’ll keep spanking the ibruphropen and chucking blocks about… wish I’d never watched alf vedersain pet when I was at school?

Not taken anything yet mate but like you my bodies fuked cut my thumb off few weeks back had plastic surgery back to work the next day then snapped my fukin toe and walking like a madman. I could never not be outside a free bird and would like to keep in the building so poss have a chance of working on a huge farm doing all the construction stuff they have it’s pretty crazy but also some days I could take it slightly easier.my problem is if I’m not flat out I don’t like being thier and would rather go home than hide up doing nothing just to clock out on time

1 minute ago, Qbgrey said:

Not taken anything yet mate but like you my bodies fuked cut my thumb off few weeks back had plastic surgery back to work the next day then snapped my fukin toe and walking like a madman. I could never not be outside a free bird and would like to keep in the building so poss have a chance of working on a huge farm doing all the construction stuff they have it’s pretty crazy but also some days I could take it slightly easier.my problem is if I’m not flat out I don’t like being thier and would rather go home than hide up doing nothing just to clock out on time

yeah its a rough old game and safe to say you've had a bad run:(

im the same regarding hours, if its raining im out of there.. dont get paid to sit about so I aint sitting about. 

the farm work sounds good, i did a couple of years in Cornwall/north Devon on farms doing loads of bases for silos and reception pits..

I enjoyed it, made a nice change to normal site work

• Like 1

I'm retired now but worked till 66. In my early 60s was working on the cards as a maintenance manager but had a row with the owner and walked off the job. After taking dip shit jobs agency work etc you soon realise no f****r wants you in you 60's or they want you but don't want to pay f**k all. So went back self employed odd job maintenance, hedging, driving machines and gardening any thing really. Was great earned enough could take a day off to go fishing or ferreting when wanted. Then I decided to do just four days a week and stoped working Fridays was brilliant best thing I ever did and would recommend it if you can afford to. Well 65 came around and I tried to give up and retire but all these clients I had taken years to build up kept on and even wanted to work Fridays again. I refused the Fridays but worked for another year just to please the people I had done jobs for. Then I did retire they would still ring "but you do a job for me cant you" I held me ground and refused. Trouble is I realised all my clients had become friends I knew if I did one job it would be the thin end of the wedge and I would never stop. Of coarse if it was a farmer who was desperate for help or an emergency I would help out. Self employed jobbing work was the happiest work I did you get more respect often treated as a friend.

Cheers Arry

• Like 6
13 hours ago, Greb147 said:

If you get an answer get on to me. 

Put my name down to work Christmas Day, Boxing Day and straight through to New Year's Day, first time I've had to do it in my life! ?

The kebab house prices gone up have they..

• Haha 2

I retired in 2007 after an accident and after 3 years off i done some  building  for all my kids the some work for a Builder i knew nothing to hard  but very well paid , tried living in Spain and hated it then up in Yorkshire for a couple of years [ loved it] then back to the Shires because my Mrs  missed the Kids , Grand Kids , and Great Grand Kids , in the Seasons i would go Rabbiting every day and never get fed up  and i had plenty of Rabbits to go at  but now there are no Rabbits  so i had nothing to do also i missed going work as i have always enjoyed it then out of the blue a Lady in the Village asked my Wife if she knew anyone could point up her Gable wall and she told her i would look at it and i did ! and i told her £1600 cash  and she snatched my hand off, 3 more jobs came from that and i am in constant demand , now i work 2/3 days a week and charge  £100 a square  Meter all in , i bought all up to date kit for around £1500 and can easily 8 meters a day when i want too , so other than no Rabbits .........Life is good .

• Like 1
14 hours ago, si brown said:

alf vedersain pet 

1 out of 3  ?

Im nobody to pull anyone on their spelling as im thick as shit most of the time but that tickled me ?

Auf Wiedersehen Pet....i think......cracking series anyway.

• Haha 3

i gave it best about 15 years ago ,just got sick of all the shite , ,just make a few knives and bits and bobs ,out with the dogs ,dont know how i found time for work  ,fk it enjoy your time while your here , you aint coming back for a second chance ......

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, gnasher16 said:

1 out of 3  ?

Im nobody to pull anyone on their spelling as im thick as shit most of the time but that tickled me ?

Auf Wiedersehen Pet....i think......cracking series anyway.

Yeah spelling ain’t one of my stronger points?