Interesting reading .

I found this on the internet ,interesting reading.

Rabbit numbers decreased by 88% in the east Midlands and 83% in Scotland between 1996 and 2018. They fell 43% across the whole of the UK over the decade to 2018, with the latest scientific survey recording no sign of the declines slowing.

“Rabbits are in a lot of trouble,” said Pip Mountjoy, Shifting Sands project manager at Natural England. “They are actually an endangered species in their native region on the Iberian peninsula. It’s surprising for people that rabbits are important in some ecosystems. We think of them as a pest but in Britain they are a keystone species – they act as landscape managers and a lot of other species rely on them.”

• Like 6

That shows rather starkly the impact of RVHD2 on the rabbit population. The thing I find strange is how certain areas seem unaffected. You see the numbers some lads still catch is insane when other areas that used to be plentiful are very low indeed. As said many times before in other threads if left alone I still feel they can and indeed will recover but only if the survivors aren’t hammered. I believe, again from previous threads, toolbox is ahead of our curve in nz and they did recover over there but if there is nothing left they have no chance! 

• Like 1

I was out yesterday at some paddocks and one of the horse owners said they had seen a few rabbits sitting out and once running they looked to be drunk and wobbling and they had found dead rabbits that look healthy with no sighn of mixy .

Used to be good numbers local but lucky to get a couple now .

Seen a similar article on the demise of the weasel, as it's numbers have reduced by 50% over the past 10 years.

Such a reduction can almost only be because of the reduced rabbit numbers caused by RVHD2, though the article was trying to blame habitat loss, trapping & poison. All play their part, but rabbit numbers are key imo...

I can only hope, in my lifetime, they start making a comeback. I miss those crazy nights with big bunny numbers...

Evolution will see them adapt to RVHD but it will take time, immunology would suggest that they have already adapted to a similar infection in their history which may help in the longer term but alas I fear it may take longer than i have. Fingers crossed we see some improvement in the shorter term, I've some ground that was wiped out but has now recovered to a decent degree so maybe, only time will tell.

1 hour ago, Samrog said:

does anybody think buzzard numbers are not helping? I dont think ive seen so many buzzards and surely a pair could take a few rabbit a day?

In areas where buzzards have been traditionally, far north and west,  rabbits had also done well.