Too much of nothing?

Leave the pup to be a pup get your self a dunny an if you know lads that go out ferreting often or you go out. Take the jacket off the rabbit an put to the dummy. An start playing with it have a pal or misses hold pup an drag it out of cover. Gets the pup kean an sharp an using her mouth. Then start to pup it down let her see you or the misses  put down say 600 yards.  Then let her go retrieve it an bring it to you learning to retrieve its all about training at that age

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No pressure me owd bod ,chill out 10 month is young  , give her a break and try again  ,she be fine 

I remember being in the same position a lot of years ago. 12 month old bitch, one or two runs on the local fields most nights on rabbits that were more clued up than me with the lamping game. Then a o

Give her a month break don’t exercise her to much just keep her at her normal running weight take her out for very short walk on lead everyday just to empty, being rested for a good while can fire the

Posted Images

Juckel still a puppy and You expecting to much from it and if it was mine I'd have it out ferreting ,

Running a dog on stuff to young only frustrates them and that in  turn could make a yapper 

Everything will click in place for the dog and you ,I got a old dog here didn't catch a rabbit until gone 18 Mt's but he took most stuff single handed and turned out one of me best ,

Atb 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, scottpenn28 said:

How much can a dog take before it gets sick? 

Pup is around 10 month old now and been out on lamp with her a fair few times now after getting her geared up throughout the summer. We've been heading out local now for couple of months but as of yet she's not made her first catch. 

Been out every night this week so far, and whilst the elements have been against us, (full moon, no cloud, no rain). She has managed a few runs this week but still no catch. Last night she had a run where I was certain she was gonna grab it and she never did, bunny safely made it home. 

Now, I've heard about making dogs sick if they keep running and don't catch. How much is she likely to take before she starts turning her nose up at running the lamp? 

Just got home and whilst we still have full moon, we have much more cloud cover tonight so thinking of heading out, but don't want to spoil this dog as its my belief she definitely has what it takes, she just doesn't fully know yet what she's supposed to do?! 

What sort of ground you running? Hard arable with thin edges, small grass fields etc. You shouldn’t really be running the dog with the moon up mate. You need everything in the pups favour has much as possible. Exactly what is the dog doing? Is it getting anywhere near the rabbit to start with?

7 hours ago, goshawking719 said:

I remember being in the same position a lot of years ago. 12 month old bitch, one or two runs on the local fields most nights on rabbits that were more clued up than me with the lamping game. Then a old mate of mine took me lamping on some rough ground, edge of moorland type land an hour away and the bitch caught 12 bunnies on her first night, missing very few. she never looked back and in my eyes, at the time,became a champion in one night? 

Go, travel and find some easy kills for the dog?

Tbh this was my next thought, get a night that I can travel and go all out to get her the runs that will be easier 

2 hours ago, Qbgrey said:

Rest for a bit and be patient find a longish grass field that’s not been lamped to death, dark windy night and a rabbit out in the open. Lots of mixxy rabbits about too. Will it sicken if not catching??? Poss but other traits can creep in like stalking , or not running rabbits near cover , or not running flat out at them. Patience mate, slow down.

I didnt think the rabbits local to me had been lamped at all, but possibly mistaken, majority turn and run as soon as the low light even goes near them so definitely more clued up than I anticipated 

56 minutes ago, trigger2 said:

What sort of ground you running? Hard arable with thin edges, small grass fields etc. You shouldn’t really be running the dog with the moon up mate. You need everything in the pups favour has much as possible. Exactly what is the dog doing? Is it getting anywhere near the rabbit to start with?

The ground I've been on currently is arable land and smaller grass fields. Fields are all bordered by decent thick hedges. Know I should have waited for conditions to be right but like I mentioned, pressure and a lack of patience to get her going means I've been trying whenever I can. Tbh her last run she was right on the rabbit, I was more shocked that she didn't actually grab it. It was the only squatter we've found local and got within about 3 yards of it before it got up and bolted, she took off as soon as it moved but just stayed millimetres from its tail and didn't make the grab. She's close to them and she's running the majority very well. 

im in a similar position mate, my pups 10 month old in my eyes hes brilliant but im still waiting for that first kill, i know its in him ive seen the chases and it will be such a relief when it happens. ive been out twice on the lamp no kills, weve got to be patient, Ive been on here and asked these questions and took the advice. I wont be going out again until a wet windy night and will probably have a mornings ferreting in between. ATB mate 

• Like 1

The way ur talking there she's holding back not sure what to do you are going to fck the we dog up mate she's going to start Letting out or she is going to be come a stoper at the hedges mate knock her off lamping for a while take her out ferreting let her get a few in the nets she will come the penny will drop all the best with her mate 

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Samrog said:

im in a similar position mate, my pups 10 month old in my eyes hes brilliant but im still waiting for that first kill, i know its in him ive seen the chases and it will be such a relief when it happens. ive been out twice on the lamp no kills, weve got to be patient, Ive been on here and asked these questions and took the advice. I wont be going out again until a wet windy night and will probably have a mornings ferreting in between. ATB mate 

Yeah think gonna leave it for a bit now, do some ferreting with her and try again once we've got the conditions and she's had a few in the nets. This place always been great for me when needing advice. Atb to you and your pup pal 

• Like 1

If you've got ferrets take her ferreting, bolt em for her. 

If she still fails to catch net one up and release the thing further away from the hedge. 

If it still fails take a time out or if you're impatient knock it over the head. ?

Edited by Greb147
12 hours ago, scottpenn28 said:

Shes only pup from her litter not to catch anything yet, safe to say I'm feeling the pressure. 

Don't believe the hype?,don't be in a rush to spoil her,get her out daytime,ferretting so she gets some fur in her mouth....?

• Like 1