Dogs throwing the towel in and breeding.

I genuinely seen a dog i really rated seen him take all game real well my pal wanted to mate him to a bitch so took him for a few days the owner said take him chuck him on what ya want first night out without owner dog done the dirty not just once either. 

Ive never bred a litter of lurchers but if i did id consider it abit of a waste of time if i had to lie about age work ect really folk should be biting ya hand off for them if they worth taking pups off

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bred a litter of terrier pups a few yrs ago  and kept back 2 bitches..reared and treated both the same,had them out from pups,pegged out at digs so they could learn the crack,the smooth bitch went the

Posted Sunday at 13:21 "I was walking a pup I had in the valleys and happened into a chap who was shooting a bit close to me, to warn me away from walking near a field or what

Remember this saying your dogs only have to please one person there owner not some bloke who thinks hes the world's leading authority in the running dog world enjoy your mutts and feck  any body else 

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Bosun11 said:

You do but as you know, many of the best (well grafted) dogs don't make old bones...

So which is the greater risk, taking a litter out of that 3/4 year old, or holding on for another couple of seasons, where the same dog may end up dead before you get chance...?

Yep, had that! I was just genuinely interested, I’m not saying it don’t happen but I’ve not seen it myself or had any mates who’ve had it happen. A dog just decide to become a coward or it’s not for them once they seem fully wed to the job. 

Have seen a few dogs after that youngster enthusiasm runs out and they worked hard start bieng bit iffy in certain places not fully committing to stuff sat of a wood they think when they get there it will hop in ect is that considered jacking in most peoples book ? A dog still killing when it thinks it can but ignoring some stuff it thinks it wont ?

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

M biggest pet hate is seeing a dog turn his head an pretend he can’t see the fcuker sat on the hedge/fence/wood???‍♂️

But still ears up head swivelling like its mad for owt just cant see it ? should also admit i kept the dog until 8 or 9 then retired him to some folk i know just never ever even thought about breeding him i wouldnt have had a pup out of him for the lottery lol

Edited by C.green
  • Haha 1
11 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

4 is a good age an you should know what you have, but aye I think you’ll know more at 6. Iv known older lurchers kill terriers, bite kids, kill sheep, chase other stock an all sorts a problems, life ain’t plain sailing with an older dog, like iv said nothing is guaranteed, your talking about owner fcuk up, what you consider a fcuk up, I may consider a test, some folk will up the work rate as dog gets older an gets more experience, some give it an easier ride, doubling up with younger dog, less runs due to age an taking longer to heal get back in shape. Everybody am every dog is different. Iv saw a coulke adult dogs walk that I couldn’t explain, heard of a load more over the years, shit happens mate. My pal had a dog walk that was 8 an one hardest dogs I ever known,an had a litter of pups in kennel, what you do then? Keep the faith? Get real? Shit happens ??

Aye not talking about sheep chasing or owt. It’s those ‘unexplained’ jackings I’m interested in. I’ve just never come across it. Could usually always see the cracks way way before just folk have made excuses and lied to themselves 

6 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

I

For an adult grafting dog to start worrying stock to me is a jacking, the fcuker should know what quarry is by now, an imho it’s just looking for an easier run, lots won’t agree an i get it if dog never been stock broke then than that’s different but iv saw a few older dogs now that try an refuse there quarry but will run summat easier, rabbit, roe, sheep. That’s jacking to me, same as pushing stuff around a field, most folk don’t even see it an if I’m honest I didn’t until it was pointed out years ago, luckily now I run rabbits so don’t have to worry about pushing an that ? it’s stalking that’s my biggest fear ???

It’s not jacking though is it, it’s just become a c**t. Agreed that may well but be a reason to not breed the dog, but it ain’t got much to do with a lack of heart, dogs just a knob. Do agree if it decides to not take its quarry but takes other stuff then aye that lack of heart. 

The whole deer thing is a bit more complicated and I agree there is a lot more difference between a dog that pulls deer and one that pushes. That’s why I stuck to talking foxes as I think that’s more cut and dry ?

3 minutes ago, stormyboy said:

On that note, it's a strange one why dogs jack on one quarry but still mad for others. I had a bitch, the only dog I've had that jacked on rabbits at 6, never over run on big numbers. Yet more "testing" quarry she would give it all. 

Got bored? 

4 minutes ago, stormyboy said:

On that note, it's a strange one why dogs jack on one quarry but still mad for others. I had a bitch, the only dog I've had that jacked on rabbits at 6, never over run on big numbers. Yet more "testing" quarry she would give it all. 

How many dogs if you walk in a field full of rabbits will seriously run them 100% ? Like in the day when rabbits just come off the field to the hedge. Same with some of these lads ferreting places with high numbers and dogs watching rabbits playing on warrens yet stay on the warren there ferreting. 

lets be honest a rabbit aint a big reward its a furry dummy that scratches and kicks abit bigger things a bigger pay off for same effort

3 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Lots dogs will let a fox go mate, pull some an let some run, if you never saw that then you really should go out with more dogs cos iv saw it a good few times sn fox never been my thing but iv been out with fox going lads an that’s usually why there dogs are doubles cos they know single handed the dog wil start pushing the foxes it don’t want ??

100% theres also how ya doing them i seen dogs catch and kill them when out bushing when there bloods up terriers yapping and ripping cover that would be scared seeing one come to a sqeak trying to slip collar to get away n that. 

yeah i owned that one too ??‍♂️

1 hour ago, sid g said:

with any bloodlines does it make any odds if the parents are doing the job intended or not  . racing pigeons , greyhounds, hounds, race horses , terriers or  running dogs . ?,

It does obviously make a difference or else we would never have established lines and such. 

The proof is in the pudding at the end of the day, breeds and types were created because of their abilities to excel at the task they were created for. 

Now of course bloodlines count but those same bloodlines made their name by doing the job. 

2 minutes ago, sid g said:

so if both sets of grand parents  great grand parents n great great are all known grafters and the parents arnt should they be over looked . 

Not at all but why on earth would you want to breed two dogs together or buy pups off two dogs that haven't done anything? 

There’s a lot of variables in what makes a good dog, e.g you can have a old dog that’s been worked hard on hard land that’s not caught has much as a young dog that’s been worked on easier land so numbers although it helps is not a true measure as such but gives you a good idea.

also how a dogs worked plays a part in it as well if a hare coursing dog has 3 slips with 40 yds law given and catches 3 of them is it a better dog than one that’s had 3 slips with 100yds law given that makes the ground up and catches 2? 

Thats it khatchum ya dead on. Some folk are just very blind also stand there all grumpy nose in the air when another mans dogs doing well yet as soon as there dogs slipped atitude changes.  

I try not to be one of them men pissing on peoples chips tbh ive given away some very good animals and kept some with bad habits but one thing i aint is kennel blind