powerhouse x

20 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

Greb have you ever put your hands on one?don't take alot to subdue them when a dog has a ear/cheek hold...

No never had a pig but they are just the same as a bull, the ear hold is just like the nose hold on cattle, the pain subdues them.

That's why to me you can't really call pig dogs game dogs, if I pig kills a dog it happens very quickly when a cutter opens up a bleeder, the dog doesn't really register what's happened and it just bleeds out.

It's not like a terrier taking lots of stick to its face and feeling constant pain, that's why lesser dogs will hold on to a pig whilst they would jack on things that bite back.

• Like 1

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Spent a couple of years on a cattle station in central Queensland in me early 20s . Just went over backpacking originally, but after drinking all me cash in the first month ended up with a job on this

It's not about money it's about power

I don't think that's true, a dog that has caught plenty of pigs will have the scars to show for its efforts ,even if its just a bailer. One out a big boar can make short work of a dog in fact I lost(k

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

The poor animals get a bad do, with the wannabe hard men going up abs throwing multiple dogs on one just to prove how tough they are. They deserve a bit of respect like any other quarry. 

I agree, most pig hunters, in Oz at least have serious ego problems and are not dogmen at all imo. To be fair if you run into a big mountain boar one dog isn't going to cut it. If you don't respect the boars and take them lightly you can easily be killed.

2 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

No never had a pig but they are just the same as a bull, the ear hold is just like the nose hold on cattle, the pain subdues them.

The only thing with holding the ear is the pig can't get a hook in ,nothing like a nose hold to subdue cattle.

6 minutes ago, Aussie Whip said:

The only thing with holding the ear is the pig can't get a hook in ,nothing like a nose hold to subdue cattle.

So you're saying pigs feel the pain when a dog gets a ear hold?

And of course it helps prevent the pig from getting a hold on the dog but my point remains.

A subdued pig isn't giving the dog proper stick, hence why you don't need a deep game dog.

16 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

That's why to me you can't really call pig dogs game dogs, if I pig kills a dog it happens very quickly when a cutter opens up a bleeder, the dog doesn't really register what's happened and it just bleeds out.

It's not like a terrier taking lots of stick to its face and feeling constant pain, that's why lesser dogs will hold on to a pig whilst they would jack on things that bite back.

They also bite, and use their surroundings to crush a dog, ie off a tree. Obviously not the small ones, but big sows and boars can do a lot of damage. Have seen one killed, carried a couple out while plugging the wounds and seen a few more real sore, bruised, battered and pissing blood. 

Just now, Greb147 said:

So you're saying pigs feel the pain when a dog gets a ear hold?

And of course it helps prevent the pig from getting a hold on the dog but my point remains.

A subdued pig isn't giving the dog proper stick, hence why you don't need a deep game dog.

I think you are underestimating how tough the boars are. We caught a 100kg one near home when we were just exercising the dogs and it dragged six pigdogs down hill with me on it's back and the mrs holding it's tail about 80m before I could get a knife in, lol.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Aussie Whip said:

I think you are underestimating how tough the boars are. We caught a 100kg one near home when we were just exercising the dogs and it dragged six pigdogs down hill with me on it's back and the mrs holding it's tail about 80m before I could get a knife in, lol.

Had one go through two stock fences with a good bull bitch attached to it (unfortunately underneath), getting stamped and dragged. All be it, down hill.

For the record all pig hunting activities occur / occurred in Europe where it’s legal. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Look I’m not calling you out here but a ring goes through the septum of a bull, as it real sensitive, a dog couldn’t get the septum, how could it, especially one with a flat face like the ole bull baiters claimed to use, most bulls dropped by a dog so so out of fatigue pal, that’s all

Dogs were used to control cattle mate.

What do you think bull baiting was pal?

Just now, SheepChaser said:

Had one go through two stock fences with a good bull bitch attached to it (unfortunately underneath), getting stamped and dragged. All be it, down hill.

For the record all pig hunting activities occur / occurred in Europe where it’s legal. 

The one in the pic looks like the proper wild boar, we only have feral pigs here, thank God, lol.

• Like 1