Cow hocked pup

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How old is the pup? With very fast growing pups they often outgrow themselves in sometimes bizarre ways. If he's destined to be big and leggy with it, it could be he's just going through a horrible st

U could be walking into big problems mate me personally I would get it a pet home iam not telling u watt to do now that's just.me all the best ferret man ?

All these boys telling u do.this do that just ask urself would they keep that pup if they had it for a working dog try this try that my advice is try and get it a new home and get urself a good pup al

Posted Images

On 11/07/2021 at 19:32, TOM HEAVY said:

Evening lads, 

wondering if anyone can shed a bit of light on this as my pup has the above condition and i am obviously concerned about the longevity of his working career or if it even worth entering him!??

gutted is an understatement!!

ive put alot of time in and he has taken to most thing very naturally, he’s got a great temperament and showing great potential, i just cant see him lasting very long the way his hind legs are. Is it worth a try or should i start again?? any advise from anyone with experience would be helpful and appreciated.

ATB thanks in advance

6F911B1F-AA17-4E1A-A9E4-776A0474D8FB.jpeg

6A5AA657-698B-4579-BDDB-D74E14B18D72.png

? Its an unfortunate situation Tom...

Your image does enhance the young jukels stance in an exaggerated way, and as such it leaves you with a dilemma?

In reality,..all is not lost, and the eventual outcome is really down, to your own mindset..

IF you have feelings for the youngster and want to stick with him, then my advice would be to put him on a raw meat and bones diet (maybe even sprinkle a wee bit of bone meal in his diet). 

That diet,.. should be choc-full of fish, green tripe, Chicken carcase and raw lamb bones...etc, etc..

If he has a good temperament, you are half way there, ..his education should be easy,..more so if you are pals.?

Personally, I would give him plenty of exercise..

Get him chasing the ball and fetching a Dummy...

Try to get plenty of meat and muscle on him....Build his legs and body up...

Of course,..this extra muscle could make his hocks, look even worse, but at least he will have learned how to use himself,...and how to run.. The end result has got to be an improvement, upon his present demeanour...

OR,.you can bite the bullet,...and say goodbye....

The choice must be yours,...it has to be,...yours..

All the best to you, stay safe, regards, OldPhil.?

?

• Like 5

Old wives tail that cow hocked legs cause hip dysplasia and it really could be a simple fact that it’s muscles and tendons need working and tightening as I said earlier on in the thread …..

8 minutes ago, socks said:

Old wives tail that cow hocked legs cause hip dysplasia and it really could be a simple fact that it’s muscles and tendons need working and tightening as I said earlier on in the thread …..

I’ve seen it mate by time it’s 6 it will have a back end like a German shepherd cow hocked is genetic it’ll walk run on 2 toes really they turn well to be honest lol and I’ve seen lads keep them and give them work there full life’s hassle free but it will only ever be below average ?and I’ve seen them were they  also breakdown a lot with it ?

but if the dog is bonded you can get the best from it and are happy making best of a bad situation then good luck to the lad ?

20 hours ago, OldPhil said:

? Its an unfortunate situation Tom...

Your image does enhance the young jukels stance in an exaggerated way, and as such it leaves you with a dilemma?

In reality,..all is not lost, and the eventual outcome is really down, to your own mindset..

IF you have feelings for the youngster and want to stick with him, then my advice would be to put him on a raw meat and bones diet (maybe even sprinkle a wee bit of bone meal in his diet). 

That diet,.. should be choc-full of fish, green tripe, Chicken carcase and raw lamb bones...etc, etc..

If he has a good temperament, you are half way there, ..his education should be easy,..more so if you are pals.?

Personally, I would give him plenty of exercise..

Get him chasing the ball and fetching a Dummy...

Try to get plenty of meat and muscle on him....Build his legs and body up...

Of course,..this extra muscle could make his hocks, look even worse, but at least he will have learned how to use himself,...and how to run.. The end result has got to be an improvement, upon his present demeanour...

OR,.you can bite the bullet,...and say goodbye....

The choice must be yours,...it has to be,...yours..

All the best to you, stay safe, regards, OldPhil.?

?

Good advice, just I would cut down on the walking.