Personally,...?

I've only bred genuine first crosses using Pastoral Sires,...I like most of the Herding types , so producing a frequently larger edition is really no big deal. I can only talk of the sheepdog and Cattle Dog composites that I've bred, but one thing I want to see from such a hybrid is plenty of robustness, tractability and physical traits of good strong feet and short sturdy wrists. If my end product starts to resemble a pure running dog, I feel that I have failed. The streamlining effect and the addition of extra speed can come later, in the next cross...

As for that next step, well, it is the accepted and easiest route, to go down the 'back to a Greyhound or Whippet ' concept.

I've done this myself on several occasions,..plus I've put Half crosses back the Three Quarter Bred animals to create the incredibly useful, 3/8th x 5/8ths...this is often a sure-fire winner..

However,...my favourite type was when I started putting a genuine half cross back to a genuine half cross...?

I remember once discussing this method with a dreaming schoolmarm,...he was appalled,.."It does not compute Lloyd", he exclaimed.. Well, possibly not, especially if you intend to sell your wares as a product and need everything to be clear cut for the paying customer,...Mercifully , I have never bred dogs for monetary gain...I gift my pups, and love to follow their progress, or in some cases, their lack of it ? 

With the cur crosses, I found that after four of five close mating's, the stamp of the lurchers really levelled out.

They all started to look the same and act in the same manner...I was happy with the end results and saw no reason the change the plot? Obviously, I am now at a stage in my life where all the testosterone of youth, and that manic desire to own the best and to be the best, has drizzled out of my wrinkled todger, so it doesn't matter anymore?

But, I do believe that there is no right and no wrong,...with lurchers, it must always be a case of, "Each to his own"....

Stay safe Brothers..?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

? Personally,..I believe that the initial hybridisation twixt two different types , whilst being more than satisfactory for most enthusiasts, invariably tempt many of us to go to the next stage, and t

Here's a wee first X wheaten...out X by the greyhound side... But the out X was actually a granddaughter of original site... 13 months old broken to stock... First time out ferreting...bolted 8 she ca

What I did was I told you a story that’s true and there are other witnesses on here. The bitch in question caught all of those things, she was never ever a hare dog, she just had a big enough heart to

Posted Images

32 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

A half galgos bull terrier be slower than half grey bull terrier ?but if kept 3 pups back  then ran them all at once you might have some luck but at least with half bull grey you  only need 2 less shit to pick up ? ? ?

There can only be 1 or 3 never 2

3 minutes ago, shaaark said:

f**k all wrong with saying WHIPPET, magoo lol.  ?

i recon be on the notes mate some a them half whippet greys to fast and injury prone galgos a bit slower off start and better put together mate ?

Just now, Greb147 said:

Reckon the Galgos would make those plodders look exciting. 

Sandy, why don't you bang a coursing dog over one of your britches and see how they turn out? 

plodder mate arable  i recon me dog fast as coursing grey mate ?

and bitch has turn of foot and gears 

there bred to kill not chase ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
7 minutes ago, shaaark said:

What's that mate?  ?‍♂️

By the way, yep, those galgos do look to be pretty robust.

hit the notes be on the notes mate  like me when im talking about dogs i hit the notes ?

56 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

Reckon the Galgos would make those plodders look exciting. 

Sandy, why don't you bang a coursing dog over one of your britches and see how they turn out? 

i will at some point but it will be a Spanish one?.

1 hour ago, mC HULL said:

i recon be on the notes mate some a them half whippet greys to fast and injury prone galgos a bit slower off start and better put together mate ?

Your persistent il give you that, like a saluki though plodding along instead of going in for the kill ?... You claim your the saluki king nothing like blowing your on trumpet... You do know some of the best coursing stuff has Irish terrier in them way back..then mostly saluki based now admittedly...Ill be over in Liverpool come winter for a bit of crack with a few lads..you far from there big boots?