Jump to content

Collie, a versatile breed.


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Guss33 said:

one of my mates I go with has 3 whippets and the female just recently had pups. 2 females 5 males.

Take the cutest pup around and show the mrs , it has worked every time for me and my mrs is rather scary, lol.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post

  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Really like my young Collie bitch, 19 1/2” and 14 months. Been doing great ferreting, very biddable, sensible, great marker, also started marking moles. Can stop on hares, I don’t want her running the

15 months and 19 1/2” , nippy little thing, looking forward to some ferreting with her this winter, a good age now for it.

Great Post this ,me great uncul always had herders for rabbiting and poaching and always said if you walking along a country lane no one blinks I eye lid if you got a collie by ya side not so a lurche

Posted Images

On 08/05/2021 at 23:20, Guss33 said:

The only reason I won’t get a dog for ferreting is they need to be worked pretty much every day and I only go out 2 or 3 times a month and work full time. As much as I would like a dog for ferreting it wouldn’t be fair on it being in a back yard not being worked. The one thing I have never liked is how some people keep their dogs in small pens for most of their life and don’t even get walked once a day. 

I can definitely see your point. With me it was the complete opposite though, I only started ferreting because I had working bred dogs and thought that taking them ferreting would add to their repertoire. Most people are put off certain dog breeds when the breed books mention how much walking they need whereas I'd ignore anything that didn't need a decent walk.😁 The only reason I stopped ferreting was because my permission lost its rabbits as it was gradually covered with multiple housing estates. Now I've retired, so I've gone back to what I did when I was younger...just walking a lot.😁 It's one of the benefits of being a non-driver.

Link to post
On 08/05/2021 at 23:20, Guss33 said:

The only reason I won’t get a dog for ferreting is they need to be worked pretty much every day and I only go out 2 or 3 times a month and work full time. As much as I would like a dog for ferreting it wouldn’t be fair on it being in a back yard not being worked. The one thing I have never liked is how some people keep their dogs in small pens for most of their life and don’t even get walked once a day. 

I can definitely see your point. With me it was the complete opposite though, I only started ferreting because I had working bred dogs and thought that taking them ferreting would add to their repertoire. Most people are put off certain dog breeds when the breed books mention how much walking they need whereas I'd ignore anything that didn't need a decent walk.😁 The only reason I stopped ferreting was because my permission lost its rabbits as it was gradually covered with multiple housing estates. Now I've retired, so I've gone back to what I did when I was younger...just walking a lot.😁 It's one of the benefits of being a non-driver.

 

20 hours ago, lifelong cumbrian said:

no you are right, i am lucky she is doing well working, as regards the jacket, my old collie had a long coat, had to bath her everytime i went ferreting, this one gets a dip in a bucket and a quick dry, then clean to go in the house, that jacket turn water great as well, them hairy buggers soak it up.

I found the same thing when I swapped to shorter coated dogs. I had a 3/4 beardie/border when I lived in Coniston and he was almost permanently damp, whereas the kelpie are dry  soon after a quick shake (apart from Noggin's tail which acts like a sponge). I used to tell people that Rusty's coat was so much like teflon, one of his grandparents must have been a frying pan.

Edited by Neal
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post

Well my time and effort paid off tonight, was walking over a barley field and a hare jumped out from under a bold hollow tree stump half a yard in front of the dog, I shouted leave it and she stopped and sat down and watched it run away, right down the field under a gate and over the road, could easily have had a dead dog.

  • Like 9
Link to post

The collies don’t seem to need a lot of training as I have noticed in Australia. I spoke to one farmer years ago who used them for rounding them up sheep. He said just be loyal to your animal and it will listen as it’s just in their blood. Good looking dog well done. 

Link to post
On 08/05/2021 at 16:35, fred90 said:

she's a beautiful bitch👍, no denying that. my father kept collies I was bought up with them. always thought a whippet x collie would be handy. 

Aye at some point I may put a whippet on her or a 3/4 whippet 1/4 collie I know of, the greyhound would make them more versatile but I prefer whippet sized dogs for ferreting 

  • Like 2
Link to post
23 minutes ago, lifelong cumbrian said:

Aye at some point I may put a whippet on her or a 3/4 whippet 1/4 collie I know of, the greyhound would make them more versatile but I prefer whippet sized dogs for ferreting 

Watt about a whippet greyhound dog over her u get the best off both worlds just thinking out loud watt ever way u go mate all the Best with her

  • Like 1
Link to post
29 minutes ago, lifelong cumbrian said:

Aye at some point I may put a whippet on her or a 3/4 whippet 1/4 collie I know of, the greyhound would make them more versatile but I prefer whippet sized dogs for ferreting 

same way of thinking here mate. I can't see me having anything with greyhound blood in it anymore. whippet blood for me👍

  • Like 4
Link to post
On 06/05/2021 at 17:42, lifelong cumbrian said:

Really like my young Collie bitch, 19 1/2” and 14 months. Been doing great ferreting, very biddable, sensible, great marker, also started marking moles. Can stop on hares, I don’t want her running them as I am trapping next to roads a lot. Fantastic little bitch, so pleased I went for another Collie. This is my second collie for ferreting, the other bitch was 20yrs back, had beddy whippet types for a few years and also terriers of different breeds up to 40yrs back,  my old collie was my best ferreting dog but I won’t be surprised if this one doesn’t top her. I’m rather surprised that collies are not more popular for ferreting.

5021F8AE-B343-464F-B90B-177109242BDB.jpeg

DD4FB925-1C91-4562-A3F5-CCAD38191764.jpeg

ED1A4500-3D8B-40B9-B4B2-FC3C37EE2B05.jpeg

5E33E892-62A4-4F71-A028-365AB6642AFB.jpeg

B96EBA24-B9DC-4A9F-969A-614BF5F785C9.jpeg

257FB53A-425C-4D96-A726-0F3C4458E9AC.jpeg

5FBC3335-3DFB-4514-B68F-24B59AFAF32E.jpeg

872FD898-1E1E-4994-9EC4-BF243DF87C77.jpeg

Great Post this ,me great uncul always had herders for rabbiting and poaching and always said if you walking along a country lane no one blinks I eye lid if you got a collie by ya side not so a lurcher ,he worked long hard shifts down the pit and poached to put food on the table and few Bob for beer money 

IMG_3514 (1).JPG

  • Like 10
Link to post
On 06/05/2021 at 17:42, lifelong cumbrian said:

Really like my young Collie bitch, 19 1/2” and 14 months. Been doing great ferreting, very biddable, sensible, great marker, also started marking moles. Can stop on hares, I don’t want her running them as I am trapping next to roads a lot. Fantastic little bitch, so pleased I went for another Collie. This is my second collie for ferreting, the other bitch was 20yrs back, had beddy whippet types for a few years and also terriers of different breeds up to 40yrs back,  my old collie was my best ferreting dog but I won’t be surprised if this one doesn’t top her. I’m rather surprised that collies are not more popular for ferreting.

5021F8AE-B343-464F-B90B-177109242BDB.jpeg

DD4FB925-1C91-4562-A3F5-CCAD38191764.jpeg

ED1A4500-3D8B-40B9-B4B2-FC3C37EE2B05.jpeg

5E33E892-62A4-4F71-A028-365AB6642AFB.jpeg

B96EBA24-B9DC-4A9F-969A-614BF5F785C9.jpeg

257FB53A-425C-4D96-A726-0F3C4458E9AC.jpeg

5FBC3335-3DFB-4514-B68F-24B59AFAF32E.jpeg

872FD898-1E1E-4994-9EC4-BF243DF87C77.jpeg

Topper mate👍

Link to post

 

1 hour ago, troyboy17 said:

This dog is making a top dog but what he has done with her top dog man a huge amount of respect for Joe and don't even know him

Like you have said respect to the man and you can clearly see Joe put the time and effort in from the dog being a pup unlike those that get pups and just expect them to excel with no time put in !!!

  • Like 3
Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...