I was reading a book about robins which my wife bought me for Christmas and it was saying about how they're well known for nesting in odd places. One example was a chap who hung up his coat in the shed while working in his garden or allotment and, two or three hours later, it had a nest in the pocket. 

• Haha 1

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just (04:45) heard my first cuckoo of the year ? Cheers, D.  

If like me small thing's like this brighten the day up.

Posted Images

Back home in Sth Yorkshire cuckoos were rarely heard, even around the wet lands and woods in nearby Ryhill West Yorks. But out here in France you can hear them all day, every day. Same with nightingales. Never heard one in the UK and we used to spend a night in the mountains in Cyprus while on holiday just to hear them. While walking the dog this morning they were everywhere. Golden orioles have recently arrived too. That was another species we used to look for in Cyprus.

A couple of years ago I was fishing near to a place called Marans in early June. While I was there I must have seen a dozen cuckoos, all male, heading south over the river.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, dytkos said:

Got greenfinches coming to the feeders now and goodies sometimes, never had those last year ?and my blackcaps are back. 

Cheers, D.

Can't remember last time i seen a greenie Goldfinches' how ever seem more common than ever around these parts.

10 minutes ago, tatsblisters said:

Can't remember last time i seen a greenie Goldfinches' how ever seem more common than ever around these parts.

There the 4th (I think) most spotted bird in the 2021 RSPB  bird survey. (goldies) 

Cheers, D.

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, Nicepix said:

Back home in Sth Yorkshire cuckoos were rarely heard, even around the wet lands and woods in nearby Ryhill West Yorks. But out here in France you can hear them all day, every day. Same with nightingales. Never heard one in the UK and we used to spend a night in the mountains in Cyprus while on holiday just to hear them. While walking the dog this morning they were everywhere. Golden orioles have recently arrived too. That was another species we used to look for in Cyprus.

A couple of years ago I was fishing near to a place called Marans in early June. While I was there I must have seen a dozen cuckoos, all male, heading south over the river.

Your a lucky man with those beauties round you.  You get hoopoe there mate ?

9 minutes ago, fred90 said:

heard one 2 weeks ago, earliest I have ever heard one. hardly any swallows though sure there is getting less every year. 

Last year was a real bad year for them, think a lot were killed in Europe in freak bad weather. Normally have them in the stable here but not any for 2 years now. 

I heard one very close by last year in a Northumbrian woodland, and that was the first one I can recall hearing, on a different note Les from the arboriculture course mentioned a supervisor at work bending over in her skirt whilst perched on some lifting device to which he exclaimed, the last time I saw a hole like that I was standing in front of a cuckoo clock

Edited by low plains drifter
Cornholio
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, Ken's Deputy said:

Got any source on that, please, mate? ?

(Not trying to be a clever kunt. Seriously looking at my own situation. Could use the data)

WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Swallows and swifts on their annual flight from Africa to Europe have been found dead across Greece

• Like 1
  • Sad 1