1 hour ago, downsouth said:

Yeah I used to lamp mine if I was struggling getting enough daylight hunting time during Dec/jan.Yeah definitely too small for munty.A good female will just about take hares but lads that fly hares a lot usually only fly them exclusively on hares as if the get to fly rabbits or easier quarry they will usually start blanking hares.At the end of the day birds of prey are opportunists that will always take the easiest option for a meal.

makes sense mate, suppose if you want small deer, or a fox  prob better of with small type male eagle  , thats not over big like the female birds. i wonder why in birds, of prey the female bird always bigger than the male ,? 

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A pal of mine sent a deerhound up to a lad in Scotland that works an eagle to fox; Cheers.

Always found it easy gaining permission when you got the bops with you,?Had some cracking days out, a couple of Harris hawks,ferrets and some steady dogs?

I had loads of fun with her and she even ended up going toe to toe with the wife’s Lakeland’ dog,then after that she was determined to nail him because of her anuty spooking her when she was on the bo

Posted Images

57 minutes ago, bird said:

makes sense mate, suppose if you want small deer, or a fox  prob better of with small type male eagle  , thats not over big like the female birds. i wonder why in birds, of prey the female bird always bigger than the male ,? 

I dont think there's many people if any over here that a regularly taking foxes or deer with birds mate.You hear plenty of talk about it but Ive never seen any proof.Think most people have them as a cock extension.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, downsouth said:

Yeah I used to lamp mine if I was struggling getting enough daylight hunting time during Dec/jan.Yeah definitely too small for munty.A good female will just about take hares but lads that fly hares a lot usually only fly them exclusively on hares as if the get to fly rabbits or easier quarry they will usually start blanking hares.At the end of the day birds of prey are opportunists that will always take the easiest option for a meal.

Sounds like an herding cross ? ?? 

28 minutes ago, king said:

If you have a harris on the glove and a hare kicks up by your feet.whats the sort of distance before the bird is upto speed with the hare @downsouth 

Never flew hares mate.I prefered to fly a wide variety of quarry rather than keep a bird just for hares which is the way most lads do it that fly hares with Harrises.Plus I never fancied my bird getting kicked to pieces 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, downsouth said:

Never flew hares mate.I prefered to fly a wide variety of quarry rather than keep a bird just for hares which is the way most lads do it that fly hares with Harrises.Plus I never fancied my bird getting kicked to pieces 

Ah right I have zero knowledge on birds mate they are fascinating though.

Owning and working 1 takes a lot of learning I bet.and not to be rushed into ?

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, downsouth said:

Kicked jumped over dodging out the way missing on the turn hares only easy with a gun ? ?? 

6 minutes ago, downsouth said:

Been out and watched other lads but never flown one myself.Especially like watching the little merlins fly Larks

I reckon it would be a better spectacle with the falcons, I should imagine more air time and more speed. 

The falcons are the greyhounds of the sky.