I know it's got a dedicated section but seeing as it's not something I've ever done or took much interest in thought I'd put it on here. 

I was watching a brilliant video Golden Eagles hunting  Hares yesterday and it got me wanting to ask a few questions. 

It looks great sport no doubt, the strike rates are quite low which got me thinking.

Is this about the same rate as wild eagles or much lower, I should imagine wild eagles are much better hunters and have a higher strike rate. 

And now on to the eagles themselves, the golden eagle is the most widespread of large wild eagles, with there being a big variation in size, is there a preferred strain from a region that is deemed as the best hunter? 

To me some of those eagles looked a bit big and cumbersome for the task, are the smaller goldies better for hare? 

I know males are much smaller, how do they compare to the females for hunting. 

Edited by Greb147

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A pal of mine sent a deerhound up to a lad in Scotland that works an eagle to fox; Cheers.

Always found it easy gaining permission when you got the bops with you,?Had some cracking days out, a couple of Harris hawks,ferrets and some steady dogs?

I had loads of fun with her and she even ended up going toe to toe with the wife’s Lakeland’ dog,then after that she was determined to nail him because of her anuty spooking her when she was on the bo

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, lurchers said:

It was a good watch that mate,that’s the only fault with the eagles they only have 1 shot at the strike.

It does not deter from the spectacle IMO but an interesting question. 

Some of those eagles looked massive, I imagine the smaller specimens, especially the males are more agile and better suited to hare? 

Ive flow Harris Hawks and a Gos in the past and would love to do it again but know that its not something I could give enough time atm to do it properly but for the life of me Ive never been able to see the fascination in flying them big plodding eagles.

• Like 4

A wild bird will pick it's kills in the wild , reducing its chances of missing and injuring it's self...I've been around bops since I was born,Oldman had hawks, various falcon hybrids and owls...never wanted an eagle...my uncle has 3,2 females and a male....along with Harris,gos's and a gyr hybrid...the female eagles are huge..I'm pretty sure if they wanted they could f**k my uncle right up in no time at all? a female gos or female redtail would be my choice for hares....you need Popeye arms to.walk round with a golden eagle ,even s male?

• Like 2

Yes, those eagles do look huge, does anyone know where the majority of breeding stock comes from cos like I said there's a big variation in size with these birds depending on their region on earth. 

Just now, Greb147 said:

Yes, those eagles do look huge, does anyone know where the majority of breeding stock comes from cos like I said there's a big variation in size with these birds depending on their region on earth. 

All I know is to book an egg few yrs back was 5k??

• Haha 1

There a place near Avimore that do hunting holidays for bops and eagles...bring your own or fly theirs ?...

know because we strayed somewhere we weren't allowed ?and the keeper came kicking off...I been saving this spot for 3 gents that have travelled over from Holland payed a fair few grand like?..had to do the walk of shame past them with the 60 odd rabbits we caught from the first Warren we came too?..that was on the Alvie Estate that we got permission on... apparently it was the only spot my mate frog was told we couldn't go at? sneaky b*****d as he is??

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, downsouth said:

Ive flow Harris Hawks and a Gos in the past and would love to do it again but know that its not something I could give enough time atm to do it properly but for the life of me Ive never been able to see the fascination in flying them big plodding eagles.

Same here ive done a couple of Falconry courses that got me all geared up to build a mews and get bang into it but realistically i know i couldnt commit the time needed to a bird......fascinating sport though.

7 minutes ago, Jonjon79 said:

It's an interesting subject and, those birds are gorgeous but, I reckon you'd be better having a chat with the bird lads.

I imagine it's the kind of thing that needs mentoring. 

6y26tbDl.jpg

Look at them things, could do damage couldn't they. ?

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

Look at them things, could do damage couldn't they. ?

I never realise that they got that big - I knew they had some claws on them but, that's properly formidable. 

We've got red kites nesting where I work - they're not that big but, they are big and, surprisingly agile when they chase each other through the trees.