7 minutes ago, tatsblisters said:

Remember being on a Falconry holiday some years back near Grantown on Spey and another well known flyer of eagles was stopping with us in the lodge at Lochindorb who i found to be a sound bloke and who's company i enjoyed tbh i know some of the other lads were not too happy about him being out with us with his female golden eagle has it had snotted a lads Gos the year before. I remember him slipping it on two roe that came out of a spinney and for a brief moment it was a heart in the mouth moment but the bird veered off them when it got close weather it was because they were two of them or it just did not want one.

You here all the talk of golies taking deer and foxes but truth be known 95%of them being flown  over here have never caught anything bigger than a hare and they miss a big percentage of them.Seen more exciting flights watching little 1.6lb male hawk flying rabbits.In fact some of the best sport ive seen is merlins flying skylarks

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A pal of mine sent a deerhound up to a lad in Scotland that works an eagle to fox; Cheers.

Always found it easy gaining permission when you got the bops with you,?Had some cracking days out, a couple of Harris hawks,ferrets and some steady dogs?

I had loads of fun with her and she even ended up going toe to toe with the wife’s Lakeland’ dog,then after that she was determined to nail him because of her anuty spooking her when she was on the bo

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

I would sooner have a bird that's capable of taking pheasant, grouse, duck and maybe the odd goose. 

Best falcon or hawk for that game, Gos, Gyr, Harris or any hybrid, talk to me..... 

For pheasant and duck youd probably want a Gos but the aren't really a bird to be starting out with especially if you cant guarantee yo can dedicate at least a couple of hours everyday to it.I flew a male and a female harris to a decent standard for a couple of seasons before moving on to a gos and even then the f**king thing would nearly drive me round the twist some days.

• Like 1

I be able to get day out next season greb old boys I know use likes been said American red tail hawks ?? 

them golden eagle big scary things man I know had huge cage stand near it while it’s other side call it itd smash into were you was I wouldnt go out with them ? ?? 

14 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

I be able to get day out next season greb old boys I know use likes been said American red tail hawks ?? 

them golden eagle big scary things man I know had huge cage stand near it while it’s other side call it itd smash into were you was I wouldnt go out with them ? ?? 

Heard the red tails have got a screw loose, smash in to cover like nothing else. 

Just now, Greb147 said:

Heard the red tails have got a screw loose, smash in to cover like nothing else. 

Can be right aggresive,spiteful c**ts too.to be fair they cant really do anything a decent harris wont do.Might be a bit better suited if you're flying lots of hares but unless you are on the hares all the time I dont think its worh the stroppines and higher risk of getting footed in the face

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Night Walker said:

Was at the Welsh game fair or the midland a good few years back and there was a massive eagle, bigger than a golden, the handler said that the sister to this eagle killed an 11 year old boy in South Africa apparently 

Just what you want flying round the countryside lol

• Haha 2
2 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

Fcuk me didn't think they were that capable the red tails, smarter than any collie cross I've had.... ?

Harrises can do that too.I see he chucked a lure out for it rather than making in and trading off ???.Youd be surprised the teamwork you can have hunting with a Harris as they naturally hunt in packs in the wild.I used to cast mine off and theyd fly from tree to tree over my dogs waiting for the dogs to bump something out of cover.

• Like 5
3 hours ago, downsouth said:

You here all the talk of golies taking deer and foxes but truth be known 95%of them being flown  over here have never caught anything bigger than a hare and they miss a big percentage of them.Seen more exciting flights watching little 1.6lb male hawk flying rabbits.In fact some of the best sport ive seen is merlins flying skylarks

now its funny you mention  eagles killing foxes , ive seen the vids on here , with them tackling wolves.And in my mind , i reckon even taking  a fox, the birds getting badly hurt, they dont all kill from one strike, from what i seen the fox and the wolf  were   giving  birds  some stick  around there legs chest, seen 70lb lurchers loose a fox, once old charlie clamped on there feet/wrist , never mind  18-20 lb   lol . i t was where i got me user name ( bird )  from like birds of prey, and the Harris  hawk  i think be nice  knock about  easy bird to keep and train, good pot fillers,

5 hours ago, tatsblisters said:

First one i saw fly was a lads from Heathrow way he also had a Brittany spaniel that worked with the eagle. First flight on the day he slipped it from the fist and it just rose to the thermals and disappeared into the sky to be found hours later feeding on carrion in the form of a dead sheep up in the Dales.

Bloody hell

2 hours ago, bird said:

now its funny you mention  eagles killing foxes , ive seen the vids on here , with them tackling wolves.And in my mind , i reckon even taking  a fox, the birds getting badly hurt, they dont all kill from one strike, from what i seen the fox and the wolf  were   giving  birds  some stick  around there legs chest, seen 70lb lurchers loose a fox, once old charlie clamped on there feet/wrist , never mind  18-20 lb   lol . i t was where i got me user name ( bird )  from like birds of prey, and the Harris  hawk  i think be nice  knock about  easy bird to keep and train, good pot fillers,

I think Harrises are under rated mate.I think they get a bird name because they are so forgiving that a lot of idiots get away with keeping them so a lot of people dont get to see them perform to their full potential wheras the same idiots would either loose or kill a gos.But a harris conditioned right and flown hard and regular aint no slouch and is probably more versatile than most other species out there.

• Like 5