• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Gents to say I’m excited is an understatement I’ve just sold my old ProQ smoker on eBay and it surprised me how much I got for it so I took the plunge and have upped my game to an American Pit Boss Au

Buddy did a little BBQ for mother's day  

Was handsome 😋 

Posted Images

25 minutes ago, borderboy said:

Looks delicious! Jerky is so expensive in the shops. Do you think you could make it cheaper? Obviously assuming you already have the smoker! 

I used a 1.8kg joint  from lidl,  lean cheaper cuts are better for jerky  I also got a bulb of garlic and some ginger it cost me a tenner, a can of doctor pepper ,quarter bottle of  soy sauce,  paprika  and a dragons breath chilli I already had, I only used the best out the joint so probably ended up with 1.2kg prime  and I fried the rest off with some onions and had a hot beef sandwich lol , I reckon if you shopped about you could find a better more economical joint with less waste but it was what it was I didn't have time for that,  then add around 3 quid for wood pellets and leccy , it probably returned me around  600grms  after dehydrating and I think your paying around £6 per 100g  in the shops so yeah definitely cheaper and better imo .

27 minutes ago, borderboy said:

assuming you already have the smoker! 

Also most shop bought jerky is done in dehydrators,  the smoker takes it to a whole different flavour level.

1 hour ago, kanny said:

I used a 1.8kg joint  from lidl,  lean cheaper cuts are better for jerky  I also got a bulb of garlic and some ginger it cost me a tenner, a can of doctor pepper ,quarter bottle of  soy sauce,  paprika  and a dragons breath chilli I already had, I only used the best out the joint so probably ended up with 1.2kg prime  and I fried the rest off with some onions and had a hot beef sandwich lol , I reckon if you shopped about you could find a better more economical joint with less waste but it was what it was I didn't have time for that,  then add around 3 quid for wood pellets and leccy , it probably returned me around  600grms  after dehydrating and I think your paying around £6 per 100g  in the shops so yeah definitely cheaper and better imo .

What sort of heat and time are you doing the jerky at mate. 

18 minutes ago, socks said:

What sort of heat and time are you doing the jerky at mate. 

I just had it on smoke setting ,it was holding around 70°c which is perfect for jerky,  you don't want to cook it just dehydrate it , I also did it early morning before the ambient temperature  started to go up , the thinner bits went for 3 hours the slightly thicker bits 4 hours. ?

I did my marinade different but the same principle  I used a can of Dr pepper , a thumb of ginger fine  , half a bulb of garlic,  a bit more than a  quarter bottle of soy sauce  and 1 red hot chilli ,2 teaspoons of paprika,  boil/simmer for 20 min ish and leave to cool. 

• Like 4

Got some Moroccan skewers on , similar rub , basic ingredients... Lemon lime , garlic, cumin quite a bit, tarragon, paprika , salt pepper, cider vinegar, olive oil, but of ground nutmeg , cinnamon, turmeric, lamb has more sugar and it was shoulder so dog had a good feed , another hour should be done...

IMG_20220416_151810177.jpg

IMG_20220416_173619196_HDR.jpg

• Like 6
3 hours ago, kanny said:

Also most shop bought jerky is done in dehydrators,  the smoker takes it to a whole different flavour level.

Used to see it on washing lines outside butchers in zim , just steaks hung out to dry , my jaw was in bits after a month of it lol...

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, Borr said:

Got some Moroccan skewers on , similar rub , basic ingredients... Lemon lime , garlic, cumin quite a bit, tarragon, paprika , salt pepper, cider vinegar, olive oil, but of ground nutmeg , cinnamon, turmeric, lamb has more sugar and it was shoulder so dog had a good feed , another hour should be done...

IMG_20220416_151810177.jpg

IMG_20220416_173619196_HDR.jpg

Looking good mate ?....shes doing a curry  ffs ?

• Haha 1
19 minutes ago, waltjnr said:

Me mate just got the egg thingy ,loves it says its unreal ,he got the aldi one ,400 quid 

IMG-20220410-WA0000.jpg

Tell him to take it back if he only cooked two tiny bits of meat on it. Fukcing disgusting. 

• Haha 2
4 hours ago, kanny said:

I just had it on smoke setting ,it was holding around 70°c which is perfect for jerky,  you don't want to cook it just dehydrate it , I also did it early morning before the ambient temperature  started to go up , the thinner bits went for 3 hours the slightly thicker bits 4 hours. ?

I did my marinade different but the same principle  I used a can of Dr pepper , a thumb of ginger fine  , half a bulb of garlic,  a bit more than a  quarter bottle of soy sauce  and 1 red hot chilli ,2 teaspoons of paprika,  boil/simmer for 20 min ish and leave to cool. 

Cheers mate. I’ve done loads by dehydrating it so I will give the smoker a go. 

• Like 1