• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mink? 

Sorry, not a swan.., or an otter.., or a mink. My favourite UK mammal though. I never get tired of watching stoats. Found this on the tube and thought I’d share it.  

One of my lurchers has a thing for swans and would take one given half the chance, shes pulled a few up from the edge, ive her broke to them now but i can still see it in her that she still wants them

Posted Images

33 minutes ago, kanny said:

Mink? 

mink-attack-swan-770x500.jpg

Cheers kanny  that was exactly the sort of thing I was looking for, though I think more likely to be otters as there is a reasonable population of them on the river, though they are very unwelcome on the estate the latest swan was taken from due to it housing one of the country’s best carp waters (clue) ??

• Like 1

I've personally observed how ferrets (Small otters) will start eating a bird at the face.

Perhaps a well fed otter has taken to just snacking on the favoured heads? Are they not so much beloved of anglers, for their predisposition toward just taking favoured bites from large fish?

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, Greyman said:

Cheers kanny  that was exactly the sort of thing I was looking for, though I think more likely to be otters as there is a reasonable population of them on the river, though they are very unwelcome on the estate the latest swan was taken from due to it housing one of the country’s best carp waters (clue) ??

• Like 1

I don’t know if the lad was telling the truth or if he had heard the local story’s and added the cat sighting to his story for effect, but each one I have found has been clearly taken from the land and pulled out before consumption the water is also always shallow less than a couple of feet deep ?? This is only a screen shot as I can’t take a link from it and this is what he found ?

83B11202-16BD-4A6F-81B9-7AD3D219BE0E.png

EA44692C-DEAD-4804-A7AE-E16B0D3A1A85.jpeg

'Savage' otter given pride of place in manor grounds despite killing prized swan (telegraph.co.uk)

Hope your well P ? 

There was a Swan at Combwhich ponds the locals named "cyanide" because he was deadly and would attack anything that got close. A otter is now a resident of the ponds and "cyanide" is conspicuous in his absence ?    

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, TRUEBRIT66 said:

'Savage' otter given pride of place in manor grounds despite killing prized swan (telegraph.co.uk)

Hope your well P ? 

There was a Swan at Combwhich ponds the locals named "cyanide" because he was deadly and would attack anything that got close. A otter is now a resident of the ponds and "cyanide" is conspicuous in his absence ?    

Cheers mate alls good have you got any further with your move yet, I used to have a lake near bridge water and when an otter arrived as well as taking my prized carp he also ate all the geese so otter is a strong candidate at the moment, it’s just the land based attacks I,m struggling to fathom out, sadly I’m on baby sitting duty’s at the moment as I,m sure if something is hunting the margins of the lake in question it will have to leave some footprints along the margins somewhere, ??

1 hour ago, sandymere said:

Prior plausibility is usually the best consideration, find some dead swans consider likely causes. Current bird flu outbreak 

WWW.GOOGLE.COM

A swan rescue centre shuts after two swans it treated passed the virus on to others.

Dead swans scavenged. 

Most likely. 

People killing swans, quite possibly. 

Fox or Otter taken a liking to swans roosting, possibly but less likely. 

Etc, etc.... 

And that’s how I look at each individual case,  many of them fall at the first hurdle but some just have no other explanation ?other than a large non indigenous predator ?

That wee JRT of mine years ago was a bloody nightmare. He was always after the swans, deer anything he could get hold of tbh. The ex's grandad (old school country bloke) said bring him down to the farm and stick him in with the geese, they'll sort him out ?

3 dead geese later and he's trying to get a hold of the 4th ???

That dog was a complete nutter, no fuucks given. 

What I'm trying to say is, if a JRT can pull a swan, surely a fox, feral or Mustlid can too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What I really need is some footprints as mustilids have 5 toes in comparison to most other things,trouble is Everyman and his dog is out at the moment ruining anything left behind, the latest swan was found near a lake that was a former sand pit so hopefully when I get back I may be able to find something if I get in the bush,s and have a good crawl around ??

May not apply in this case but several years ago we had on the river Dart an aggressive Cob Swan that killed many other Swans in the spring. Usually by holding the head under water much the same as Duck when mating.

Cheers Arry

• Like 1