Whomp.. whomp.. whomp..

39 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

You might have noticed I’m a bit of a nerd. So walking the dogs this glorious afternoon when this happened I was pretty well made up.

My attention was drawn by the sound to the chinook coming straight at me from over the wolds. He then banked hard straight over my head.

D85C441E-9C8C-4594-A712-0BC4109ACEFC.png.2897b89ad2353ca5161e803a7aa3a06c.png

CB844FC3-7F33-4FBB-9299-BC54435000C7.png.7d87219a7948c4c344a34d9d3de4c6bb.png

B6957384-7453-40C8-B9A8-760542109DDF.png.a6d49ba70a48aff7375794d4fa967408.png
I thought he was showing off but then he did another loop. Straight over me again.

3F7B0AB2-3C05-4873-B13D-51D30D20930D.png.7e13a218757ff03b879a305220ce43ed.png

189EB561-9DD5-42C0-AE73-38157D1410BA.png.b45962225afc84456eace23c9ddea17b.png

At this point I really thought he was showing off and then he set it down in the next field to meet a small group of civilians gathered.

5A1BFF2D-FFCC-4AF4-91DD-4B44359F4BCF.png.58a647fb6bb739b38fab619beb0de21c.png

A048E179-7870-41E9-B33A-7F7BDB5C18BA.png.0cb06921cee995d414fbcaeac2571a89.png

Absolutely awesome little private show from the RAF and on a beautiful afternoon.

Im not joking here but I seen them that close if not closer most day throughout my secondary school days. Lol. Literally a couple of hundred yards from the classroom windows and if we were on the 5 aside pitch they landed just the other side of the wall. 

• Like 1

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You might have noticed I’m a bit of a nerd. So walking the dogs this glorious afternoon when this happened I was pretty well made up. My attention was drawn by the sound to the chinook coming str

Down the local army camp today ??Nmp 

I’ve flown in pretty much all the military helicopters but there’s something special about hedge hoping in a chinook in NI or coming in hot into a landing zone In the desert arse first with tail gate

Posted Images

Just now, dogmandont said:

Im not joking here but I seen them that close if not closer most day throughout my secondary school days. Lol. Literally a couple of hundred yards from the classroom windows and if we were on the 5 aside pitch they landed just the other side of the wall. 

Yeah fair one. This was just totally out of the blue. I mean I've seen it all before, them going about their business. But this was just a bit special, I'm out in the middle of the countryside, no where near an airfield or base or anything military and he does two loops over my head and then sets it down in a field so one of them could drop the tail and go and have a natter with some civis. 15 minutes later and they're off. LOL

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

Yeah, theyre mean bits of kit. Do they still hold the world helo speed record? I pass yeovilton quite regularly and see them but very rarely see them up here. Same with the merlins.

Before this lockdown I was on Portland and got my first sight of one of our destroyers, along with some RFA ships I was less bothered by. That was cool. One day I'll make an effort to go see the carriers.

You been down the bottom by the marina where the helipad is, used to see the helicopters taking off an landing there regularly when I dated a woman up on fraggle  rock .

4 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

As kids we used to visit helensbro am places for the day/weekend with the family an saw some smart boats an sibs coming in an out of faslane, was always amazed by them, got the chance to go on one the old Polaris subs one day an missed it Cos I took real Ill, was a real sad day I’ll be honest. Summat Iv never really paid much k treat to tho is the naval fleet an get it do fascinate me, iv jist never stayed by coast or that really, would love to get on some them an get a real good nosey about ?

Get it done mate. The RN is having a bit of a revival at the moment. That's where most of my interest lies tbh. Naval and amphibious.

There was a documentary on recently where a journo was allowed on a vanguard boat for a patrol. First time ever it's been allowed. I never watch live tv but made the effort for that.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Born Hunter said:

Yeah fair one. This was just totally out of the blue. I mean I've seen it all before, them going about their business. But this was just a bit special, I'm out in the middle of the countryside, no where near an airfield or base or anything military and he does two loops over my head and then sets it down in a field so one of them could drop the tail and go and have a natter with some civis. 15 minutes later and they're off. LOL

Like the name of your thread it's the noise that really gets you, used to shake the 6x4 single glazed windows that much you'd swear they were gonna come in around you. 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, forest of dean redneck said:

You been down the bottom by the marina where the helipad is, used to see the helicopters taking off an landing there regularly when I dated a woman up on fraggle  rock .

Dunno mate. I've only been a few times. First time I ever went I was attwnding a course 'sonar and underwater acoustics' at the hotel. Was pretty much entry level course to sonar physics for the defence industry. I genuinely love the south coast.

2 minutes ago, dogmandont said:

Like the name of your thread it's the noise that really gets you, used to shake the 6x4 single glazed windows that much you'd swear they were gonna come in around you. 

Unmistakeable, especially how it seems to come and go and you have that moment of "Is it?". Out of interest mate, were they british or irish Chinooks?

12 minutes ago, Ted Newgent said:

I rode in a sea king chopper once

exactly as katchum described it.

pretty scarey but loads of fun.

amazing machines

Another cold war work horse. Along with the Vulcan and harrier. Fortunate to have seen those ripping over my home back in lincs.

2 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

Dunno mate. I've only been a few times. First time I ever went I was attwnding a course 'sonar and underwater acoustics' at the hotel. Was pretty much entry level course to sonar physics for the defence industry. I genuinely love the south coast.

Which hotel Portland heights ? 
The helipad is to the right of the marina big chain link fence around it .

you can park near the  Portland castle an walk along waterfront an stand in front of it .

3 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

Unmistakeable, especially how it seems to come and go and you have that moment of "Is it?". Out of interest mate, were they british or irish Chinooks?

Very British. Lol. Northern Ireland in the middle of the troubles. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, forest of dean redneck said:

Which hotel Portland heights ? 
The helipad is to the right of the marina big chain link fence around it .

you can park near the  Portland castle an walk along waterfront an stand in front of it .

Yeah the heights.

Oh f**k of course, I remember now, yeah I saw one on the pad there when I drove past. You can see them close from the road right? I was genuinely more geeked out by the RN and RFA ships I forgot about it. Ha

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

When you enter a chinook you should have your weapon pointing down incase it fires into the rotors above in an accidental discharge, all well an good bit them you sit on 2 benches in the rear, along each wall an facing each other so you can see out the windows behind the guy you looking at, one minute you can see the horizon an then the cnut flying it banks hard and your looking straight down at the fields, then banks again an it’s pretty sky, fcuking stomach used to go mental, an they knew it, an then to make shit worse you got a fcuking mechanic dude running back an fro the full length of chinook with an adjustable spanner tightening an loosening things ☹️ I’d much rather a 30 mile tab in with full kit than a half hour chinook ride ?? 

it’s all them osprey things about up here now a days but back when I first come see it was chinooks. I loved them till I started hating them ?

to be fair if I were piloting one of them and had a load of squaddies in the back.....you would be wanting to wind them up..

lol

• Haha 1