Winter solstice

Just now, DIDO.1 said:

Christmas is more or less pagan. 

Christmas tree - pagan (Bible forbids decorating trees of the forest 

Father Christmas - Norwegian and pagan 

Midwinter feast

present giving

yule log, 

I'm.not clued up on it mate, she doesn't celebrate it and was having a meal with her daughter and granddaughter tonight but giving Christmas a miss .

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Personally I think religion should be flexible, it can be made to fit you and how you are feeling. Most religions are joined in some way, they merge and mix and evolve. It's a strange habit of man to

Nature is a constant, all being.  Without  her, no life, no people.  That's my belief,  Atb j 

Twelve Nights of Yule Mother Night is the first of the 12 nights of Yule. It starts on December 20th, and the twelfth night is on the 31st, Yule proper. When our ancestors used a lunar calendar,

Posted Images

Just now, DIDO.1 said:

Christmas is more or less pagan. 

Christmas tree - pagan (Bible forbids decorating trees of the forest 

Father Christmas - Norwegian and pagan 

Midwinter feast

present giving

yule log, 

Holly, misltoe, feasting and drinking

All pagan, but all, for the most part, European do it.

Atb j 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, maxhardcore said:

?

I always thought it fell on the 21st 

The archaeological research project is focussed on the Winter Solstice phenomenon at the 5,200 year old Newgrange monument. Over the coming weeks, either side of the Winter Solstice on 21/22 December, the movement of the winter sunlight coming through the roof box into the passage and chamber will be scientifically measured and monitored, to determine how the beam of dawn light interplays with the chamber as we move towards Solstice and then past it.

Atb j

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Neobliviscaris1776 said:

What's the difference between celebrating Xmas and celebrating solstice?

One gives presents to others, the other sacrifices people to others.

What's the difference? A big difference

Yes, they did.

That was their custom then. 

Atb j 

Not pagan in its origin but the song and words to this in its setting in its tribalism and its background gets me  in a way that few other songs do. 
I always feel that’s my people . That I have a kinship and a connection with them more than any crowd from England. Strange how that diasporic mindset pulls you to where you were . 

• Like 1

image.png.6f1b49c1c6955c1646a98bf05d3fc6c5.png

A little fact

To try to get an impression of how old Newgrange is: if we start from today and go back to the heyday of the Babylonian empire of King Nebuchadnezzar - we need to go back the same length of time again to find the beginning of Newgrange 3200BC

• Like 3
1 hour ago, dytkos said:

2 minutes a day, starting near you soon..,,.,,,

Cheers, D.

thats just an average for middle britain .....its varies quite a lot ....

i find stuff like that interesting....spent last new year in a cottage up in southerland as far north as you can go on the uk mainland.....the time difference up there is different again theres some info on the net you can look at....it supprised me....it starts slow...like 1 min a day after winter solstice then by the end of end of feb its sped up to like 3 mins then 4 mins...then slows down again nearer summer solstice 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, hawki said:

image.png.6f1b49c1c6955c1646a98bf05d3fc6c5.png

A little fact

To try to get an impression of how old Newgrange is: if we start from today and go back to the heyday of the Babylonian empire of King Nebuchadnezzar - we need to go back the same length of time again to find the beginning of Newgrange 3200BC

I'm always blown away by its architecture, some thing that over 5000 years old. 

It inspires more questions than answers, like, why did they build there, what inspired them, how they did it, ect ect. 

Much like Stonehenge in the UK.

Atb j 

• Like 2