Small and Mighty

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bigish terrier small lurcher lol

A tad under 23". Beddy/Grey x Deer/Grey-Whippet/Grey. Had her put down at 15 year old a while back A decent bitch at most things. Cheers.    

21tts, had a good long working life.  Very versitile dog caught all sorts with him. Always seemed to punch above his weight..  Don't get me wrong little dogs have there limitations compared

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Tyla said:

Might well be but I think you'd catch more with a whippet x. You wouldn't bush as much out with one but a couple of bushers and something small and fast like I'm talking about is a wicked combination. I have a pat springer, who is as quick as most leggy terriers I should think, but she only really catches in cover, in the open she just doesn't have the pace. I've bred a litter from the two dogs for exactly that reason. Whether they turn out as i hope still remains to be seen but im hoping .....

Yeah man good luck with it but i know a couple terriers i could name when you let em off your putting bodies away some of the terriers i seen recently aint for pushing stuff to runners really they bred more to catch stuff themselves for that reason of less agg than lurchers. I like that little dog you bred dont get me wrong but wanting too much rolled into one package rarely works out ive found. Them small lurchers wont rip cover like a terrier will but i think the right sort of terriers will still put plenty of game on the floor

Just now, fred90 said:

the right sort of small lurcher, around 18 tts will rip cover like a terrier. seen plenty and owned a few?

I personally think its horses for courses. Very few lurchers will smash through tight bramble rabbit runs like a good bushing terrier. And not many bushing terriers will catch the same stuff as a lurcher in the open once bolted. 

4 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

I personally think its horses for courses. Very few lurchers will smash through tight bramble rabbit runs like a good bushing terrier. And not many bushing terriers will catch the same stuff as a lurcher in the open once bolted. 

the downside of having only 1 dog. doing both jobs. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, chartpolski said:

A tad under 23".

Beddy/Grey x Deer/Grey-Whippet/Grey.

IMG_0341.JPG.9707f65950fb898f121048a66cd1dc16.JPG

IMG_0934.JPG.c3edba1f18b80ce618f47e9fdb144834.JPG

Had her put down at 15 year old a while back

IMG_0630.PNG.af5c174e0fe94ce1a9c5115ca8b7e75c.PNG

A decent bitch at most things.

Cheers.

Lovely looking bitch that charts. You ever have a litter from her?

38 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

The ones that do catch a tad more than an average spectator,im not talking about the stupid dumb lurchers that smack into hedges,walls and pylons because they are to thick to bounce,im talking about the lurcher that works alongside the busher and needs the aptitude to treat brambles with a little disdain,id kick a lurcher scared of brambles.

4 minutes ago, morton said:

The ones that do catch a tad more than an average spectator,im not talking about the stupid dumb lurchers that smack into hedges,walls and pylons because they are to thick to bounce,im talking about the lurcher that works alongside the busher and needs the aptitude to treat brambles with a little disdain,id kick a lurcher scared of brambles.

You can kick it as much as you like but you ain’t wedging it down a rabbit run on a big big patch of bramble at the same speed as a terrier. And if you do, when the quart flushed, it’s gone! 

9 minutes ago, C.green said:

Yeah man good luck with it but i know a couple terriers i could name when you let em off your putting bodies away some of the terriers i seen recently aint for pushing stuff to runners really they bred more to catch stuff themselves for that reason of less agg than lurchers. I like that little dog you bred dont get me wrong but wanting too much rolled into one package rarely works out ive found. Them small lurchers wont rip cover like a terrier will but i think the right sort of terriers will still put plenty of game on the floor

I've heard about these terriers, I'd be interested to see them. We don't have the particular quarry they excel at by me, mores the pity

2 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

You can kick it as much as you like but you ain’t wedging it down a rabbit run on a big big patch of bramble at the same speed as a terrier. And if you do, when the quart flushed, it’s gone! 

Ive watched  lurchers run and enter,without changing gear, dense patches of brambles,if they had checked and changed into a lower gear,the chase would have been futile.I don,t expect a lurcher to follow rabbit runs through brambles,you stated the average lurcher would,nt work brambles which to me is a lurcher better left at home.