Small and Mighty

17 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

You can kick it as much as you like but you ain’t wedging it down a rabbit run on a big big patch of bramble at the same speed as a terrier. And if you do, when the quart flushed, it’s gone! 

I understand where you are coming from because I'm of the same opinion as yourself in certain situations,i should have been a tad clearer in the first instance.To clarify my point nothing can work tight cover,on rabbits or anything else,like a terrier,a lurcher not working rabbits needs to smash the brambles.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bigish terrier small lurcher lol

A tad under 23". Beddy/Grey x Deer/Grey-Whippet/Grey. Had her put down at 15 year old a while back A decent bitch at most things. Cheers.    

21tts, had a good long working life.  Very versitile dog caught all sorts with him. Always seemed to punch above his weight..  Don't get me wrong little dogs have there limitations compared

Posted Images

26 minutes ago, morton said:

Ive watched  lurchers run and enter,without changing gear, dense patches of brambles,if they had checked and changed into a lower gear,the chase would have been futile.I don,t expect a lurcher to follow rabbit runs through brambles,you stated the average lurcher would,nt work brambles which to me is a lurcher better left at home.

No.

This is what I said -

"Very few lurchers will smash through tight bramble rabbit runs like a good bushing terrier"

That is all. I expect lurchers to work cover and not be shy of cover etc. But physics dictates they will be limited in some cover.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, fred90 said:

the right sort of small lurcher, around 18 tts will rip cover like a terrier. seen plenty and owned a few?

I’ve seen good whippets fly through cover , and some of the best ratters I’ve seen av been whippets they shouldn’t be underestimated 

• Like 2
Just now, Loton Moocher said:

I’ve seen good whippets fly through cover , and some of the best ratters I’ve seen av been whippets they shouldn’t be underestimated 

Same here .

Maybe not exactly like a good bushing terrier, or what sheepchaser is after though.

1 minute ago, Loton Moocher said:

One of the finest ratters ive witnessed was a whippet,the worst ive seen to be patched up nearly every time it entered harsh cover was the same whippet,it ripped easier than a tarts clouts.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Loton Moocher said:

Well my bitch or any I’ve had be no good to me if it didn’t get in in cover I’ve ad them fly in and take the terriers catch before now 

Again, same here mate. All the purebred whippets I've owned, were never shy of any cover, and would carry on, and catch, almost every rabbit that hit dense brambles to escape.

Many people disregard the whippet as being 'not tough enough' or whatever. Completely wrong view ?

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, shaaark said:

Again, same here mate. All the purebred whippets I've owned, were never shy of any cover, and would carry on, and catch, almost every rabbit that hit dense brambles to escape.

Many people disregard the whippet as being 'not tough enough' or whatever. Completely wrong view ?

Nowt wrong with a good whippet in a big admirer of them and seen some bloody good uns and whippet crosses , Gona put one over my beddy /grey if I can find the right one 

• Like 1
Just now, Loton Moocher said:

Nowt wrong with a good whippet in a big admirer of them and seen some bloody good uns and whippet crosses , Gona put one over my beddy /grey if I can find the right one 

My favourite breed mate. Can't beat a good whippet. Sounds a good breeding choice?

• Like 1

I totally agree about whippets. Great dogs. I used to own one, which would be exactly the sort of thing I would be after. But sadly I wouldn't know where to find that type now, bred for the right reasons by the right kind of folk. 

What I was getting at, when starting the post, is I have ground I can take the pack, including a couple of big lurchers and its no drama, I also have ground where I couldnt take any lurcher really and I dont even go for the catches, and if there is one I hope its deep in cover! But theres also plenty of places where although a big bull x or coursing type is going to get you looked at, a little 20-22" whippets thing trotting next to you while you're two little pet dogs tear through the cover, wouldn't attract too much attention from anyone passing by. Obviously a catch would alert them, but its rapidly getting to the point where you've only got to be seen walking a big lurcher in the day and the phones come out.

I'm just musing for future, of adding a little non descript runner to the two or three bushers, as where I go it would get a lot of runs.

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, Loton Moocher said:

same here mate, putting one to my little first cross bitch. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, SheepChaser said:

PS Im sure some on here remember my whippet. Hard as nails and a massive character.

Maybe a first x beddy mite be the type that would suit ya , my bitch only 21ats and is up for most stuff not a hare killer I know but if that’s way I wanted I’d go down the saluki route