What was I thinking ?

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Love that bedding. Looks lovely ?

So, I picked the .223 up and a bit of ammo to see me through the lockdown ?

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Stavross said:

I’ll take the gentleman’s.243 first, he just text me to say do you shoot rats because there’s bloody loads of them, I haven’t replied because it’s not something I’ve done since I was a kid, so I might have to pass that on to someone who likes a puff gun

Haha.... don’t knock the puff guns, they’ve got me loads of land, soon as they see you nobblin all the rats n rabbits and not wrecking the place the green light for bigger stuff follows :) 

youll have to get into home loading, I do it for me mate that shoots a chav cannon, raggy holes at 100 his is same gun and same twist rate.. 55gn all the way for windy county 

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, si brown said:

Haha.... don’t knock the puff guns, they’ve got me loads of land, soon as they see you nobblin all the rats n rabbits and not wrecking the place the green light for bigger stuff follows :) 

youll have to get into home loading, I do it for me mate that shoots a chav cannon, raggy holes at 100 his is same gun and same twist rate.. 55gn all the way for windy county 

I’ll get longshanx to shoot the rats and I’ll sit back and take all the glory for it ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
6 minutes ago, Stavross said:

I’ll get longshanx to shoot the rats and I’ll sit back and take all the glory for it ?

Sounds good to me mate?? I'll not turn that down? and there is no way you could just sit and not take a shot? 

Edited by Longshanx
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, Longshanx said:

Sounds good to me mate?? I'll not turn that down? and there is no way you could just sit and not take a shot? 

I knew it, mention some free shooting and he’s there, like a rat up a drain pipe so to speak ?

• Haha 3
1 minute ago, si brown said:

Don’t blame you Ls Rat shooting keeps me from going round the bend in the winter months.. good sport?

Bought myself a pcp the other month for taking out the ferals around the farms outhouses and sheds, keeps me busy when it's quiet. 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, David.evans said:

Now let’s change this thread a bit 

what ammo are you going to use .. ? And. This will run for months ?

Atb 

Well now this is something else to consider.

When i didn't know any better and had a Tikka T3 lite in .223 i started off using Hornady superformance 53grn ammunition.

Occasionally i would miss a fox that i really should of hit but just put it down to me. Until one night when i missed one that absolutely should not of been missed. So i decided to have an extended session on paper to see what was going on. It turned out that every third shot or so would keyhole and be nowhere near the p.o.a.

I thought that the twist rate 1-12 must be marginal for that bullet weight and decided to try something else. After buying a packet of Federal vshock 40grn ballistic tips the rifle shot ragged one hole groups. I shot the whole packet (20) on paper to make sure it was consistent and it was. I remember them being about thirty pound a box at the time which was very expensive, but i didn't miss any more foxes that i ought to hit.

I learnt a lot from that episode, mainly make absolutely sure the ammunition you have chosen suits your barrel under all conditions. This includes different ranges and different temperatures. If i am unfortunate enough to miss a fox now i immediately check everything out on paper.

Just another little bit of advice that you may or may not wish to take any notice of. If your RFD has a bore scope ask him if you can check the barrel of the new rifle for corrosion especially as it is a blued barrel. A good friend of mine is an RFD and you won't believe how many brand new rifles turn up with corrosion in the bores, i have seen them myself. I think it is due to proofing them then not cleaning, putting in a plastic sleeve in a box and lying on a shelf for many months before being sold. The worst i saw was a Sako .243 with a blued barrel, the last half inch of which was absolutely rotten. It takes minutes to do but is worth the time taken imho.

Oh and don't forget your Burberry matching accessories, hat ,scarf and gloves whilst "shooting shit [BANNED TEXT] da 223 innit bruv".?     

• Like 2