What was I thinking ?

1 hour ago, ianm said:

Well now this is something else to consider.

When i didn't know any better and had a Tikka T3 lite in .223 i started off using Hornady superformance 53grn ammunition.

Occasionally i would miss a fox that i really should of hit but just put it down to me. Until one night when i missed one that absolutely should not of been missed. So i decided to have an extended session on paper to see what was going on. It turned out that every third shot or so would keyhole and be nowhere near the p.o.a.

I thought that the twist rate 1-12 must be marginal for that bullet weight and decided to try something else. After buying a packet of Federal vshock 40grn ballistic tips the rifle shot ragged one hole groups. I shot the whole packet (20) on paper to make sure it was consistent and it was. I remember them being about thirty pound a box at the time which was very expensive, but i didn't miss any more foxes that i ought to hit.

I learnt a lot from that episode, mainly make absolutely sure the ammunition you have chosen suits your barrel under all conditions. This includes different ranges and different temperatures. If i am unfortunate enough to miss a fox now i immediately check everything out on paper.

Just another little bit of advice that you may or may not wish to take any notice of. If your RFD has a bore scope ask him if you can check the barrel of the new rifle for corrosion especially as it is a blued barrel. A good friend of mine is an RFD and you won't believe how many brand new rifles turn up with corrosion in the bores, i have seen them myself. I think it is due to proofing them then not cleaning, putting in a plastic sleeve in a box and lying on a shelf for many months before being sold. The worst i saw was a Sako .243 with a blued barrel, the last half inch of which was absolutely rotten. It takes minutes to do but is worth the time taken imho.

Oh and don't forget your Burberry matching accessories, hat ,scarf and gloves whilst "shooting shit [BANNED TEXT] da 223 innit bruv".?     

Sage advised but you definitely had enough twist for that 53 gn bullet mate. Something else was wrong there. It would not be the first time  weird ammo has been released!

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Love that bedding. Looks lovely ?

So, I picked the .223 up and a bit of ammo to see me through the lockdown ?

Posted Images

Following on from yesterday’s phone call asking about a fox problem and some rat shooting, I’ve just had another call asking if I could clear the rabbits up around a garden centre, well what could I say other than of course, sometimes I fell sorry for people who put in all the leg work for permission and get knocked back all the time, it’s nice when people start coming to you?

48 minutes ago, Stavross said:

Following on from yesterday’s phone call asking about a fox problem and some rat shooting, I’ve just had another call asking if I could clear the rabbits up around a garden centre, well what could I say other than of course, sometimes I fell sorry for people who put in all the leg work for permission and get knocked back all the time, it’s nice when people start coming to you?

It's great until you cant cover it all!

4 hours ago, Stavross said:

Fecking hell mate, I'll be pinching your phone next time we are out???

• Haha 1

Well I had a walk around, bumped the fox as soon as I got there and the moon gave me away and it slipped through a hedge, now I know the lay of the land I know where to shoot from, the amount of rabbits around the farm and the garden centre is mental, I couldn’t tell you the last time I seen numbers around here like that, nobody has shot ether place for over 6 years, so it’s now mine, all mine ?

• Like 3
  • Haha 4