Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Neobliviscaris1776

Lurchers and Thermal

Recommended Posts

38 minutes ago, bird said:

true, when i done couple seasons beating at Weston park , there was one bloke who had collie x grey , that was very good at beating, it looked more like pure  collie really, the lad said it had greyhound in it , but  nothing like old bryn as in him he 1x, so it be easy dog to train for beating i reckon. both my dogs are biddable , but there no way in hell could i call Buck off , if a deer or fox  if the got up, he wouldnt stop it till he killed it , or it got away . that lad dog think was just ferrting type dog. And being honest when i was beating , nothing come close to a good trained cocker or springer

Iv walked many a hedge spaniels have worked in front of me and pushed out birds they have missed   Alot of spaniels can be to quick , iv seen good spaniels especially cockers , but beating should. Be a doddle for a traditional type mooching lurcher as it is just doing its normal job but legally 

Share this post


Link to post

11 minutes ago, Loton Moocher said:

Iv always kept mine traditional and expect them to feed me fur or feather 

Traditional would be poaching pheasants not beating/picking up 

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Shadow100 said:

Traditional would be poaching pheasants not beating/picking up 

How you think i learnt lol and as old as am thy still taste nicer when take them from the other side of the fence , and when you drop a bird off its perch at night they can bonce a far way hence a good picking up lurcher ?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Loton Moocher said:

How you think i learnt lol and as old as am thy still taste nicer when take them from the other side of the fence , and when you drop a bird off its perch at night they can bonce a far way hence a good picking up lurcher ?

That’s what I’m saying traditional lurcher work is poaching pheasants that’s different from picking up on shoot days to help keepers out it’s actually the total opposite of the traditional lurchers job 

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Shadow100 said:

That’s what I’m saying traditional lurcher work is poaching pheasants that’s different from picking up on shoot days to help keepers out it’s actually the total opposite of the traditional lurchers job 

Where else can you take your lurcher poaching get a free breafast a free couple of pints as many pheasants as you can carry and get payed for it ? Lol😉

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, Loton Moocher said:

Where else can you take your lurcher poaching get a free breafast a free couple of pints as many pheasants as you can carry and get payed for it ? Lol😉

Oh nearly forgot plenty ratting and digs for the terriers see it has its perks bud

Share this post


Link to post

In my eyes the more different jobs one lurcher can be used for the better be it beating,poaching ferreting,lamping mooching ratting an have a crack at any thing it’s put behind id rather one dog that can just be used than this dogs for jobs crack that’s a specialist at one job it’s not as useful 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
19 minutes ago, Loton Moocher said:

Where else can you take your lurcher poaching get a free breafast a free couple of pints as many pheasants as you can carry and get payed for it ? Lol😉

If that’s your view fair enough, but for me running my dog properly means a lot more than £30 and a free breakfast 

Edited by Shadow100

Share this post


Link to post

I like adaptable dogs I’ve a friend who’s bringing a young dog on they were telling me the dog watches there hands if the thermal to be placed in front of there eye the dog gets ready the minute the land touches the lamp the dogs tense ready for the slip they said it’s strange how quickly different skills using different methods can be picked up 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Shadow100 said:

If that’s your view fair enough, but for me running my dog properly means a lot more than £30 and a free breakfast 

I take it your a lamper ?

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, Loton Moocher said:

I take it your a lamper ?

I do lamp myself dogs, but they get more daytime work than lamping. What makes you say that? 

Edited by Shadow100

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, poxon said:

I like adaptable dogs I’ve a friend who’s bringing a young dog on they were telling me the dog watches there hands if the thermal to be placed in front of there eye the dog gets ready the minute the land touches the lamp the dogs tense ready for the slip they said it’s strange how quickly different skills using different methods can be picked up 

Started taking a catty out with me everytime  out since this Covid nonsense.... Took the runner 3/4 days to suss the craic... When it comes out the pocket, she's straight at my side, scanning the trees.... Will try her with the longnets sometime this season and a few days out with the hawks.... My old bitch did just about everything asked of her.... Got a little gunshy as she got older but we had plenty of sport👍

Id expect any dog to do what ever, other than a dog thats just for digging, 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Loton Moocher said:

If you read my post again it says not all , as for the spaniel kickers you get alot of city boys with high payed jobs move the country buy a gun , dog and all the expensive gear and know it all thinking there lord of manor , you would have seen it if your a keeper and you would also know if a lurcher wasnt up to scratch it wouldnt be on the shoot in the first place , i say half my mates are keepers but i never forget where i started.

I would say very few keepers went to any  posh school none I know did lol, glad for you that you have a  dog your proud of mate, I picked up on a moor for a mate when he was short my cockers caught loads of rabbits but dont make em better than a good lurcher, be silly to draw a comparison imho.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Shadow100 said:

I do lamp myself dogs, but they get more daytime work than lamping. What makes you say that? 

Cant make out what you mean about doin proper lurcher work ?

Share this post


Link to post
23 minutes ago, two crows said:

I would say very few keepers went to any  posh school none I know did lol, glad for you that you have a  dog your proud of mate, I picked up on a moor for a mate when he was short my cockers caught loads of rabbits but dont make em better than a good lurcher, be silly to draw a comparison imho.

What i ment was keepers school (fordingbridge) thats if they still do it i may behind the times , and iv not said my dog better than anyone elses i said many times iv dun a hedge after spaniels been and flushed birds they have missed tbh all a good beating dog needs is good stop and go buttons in other words. Be obedient?

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...