Lurchers and Thermal

35 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

Out of curiosity, who decided? 

Just in my mind like I wouldn’t want a pup out of dogs that spent days messing about on shoots mid season but we’re all different if that’s what men like fair play to them.

Its changed days and not for the better the proper poachers lurcher is a rare thing to find because instead of trying to outsmart keepers most lurchermen want to be in with them.

Edited by Shadow100

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Out of curiosity, who decided? 

I got to page 7 then jumped to the this page did I miss anything?

when I was a partridge keeper I used to do ten thousand a year and partridges are in and out the pen in about 12 hours, if you not on your game fox wise your stuffed, I am still on the same land with

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

But what about the guys who graft there dogs but go to shoots, should they leave dogs at home? I must admit I rarely leave home without a dog, no matter if what I going to do ain’t very lurchery ?

cant think of a worse way to spand the day, than without the mutts?

If men are running their dogs then letting them tag along while they go beating as well that’s different. That’s not the same as saying beating is proper lurcher work that’s daft.

For me I’d rather rest the dog up so it’s fresh for running rather than waste its energy in a beating line 

Edited by Shadow100
1 minute ago, W. Katchum said:

Aye it’s part of it ( if your that way inclined?)but deffo ain’t a lurchers job, but I’d not let - dog sit about Cos we not coursing lamping it ferreting, my mutts come moling am trapping an ratting or milking haha where ever I go but I don’t class that as there jobs, I do class it as company an my mutts are always first an foremost companions an pals, if they not them I can’t gel with them an I couldn’t live with a dog sat in kennel unless I was ferreting lamping or coursing, fcuk even if I did one them every day it’s stil only few hours graft, what about rest of day? Dogs don’t need to lay in a kennel to rest jist like we don’t need to go to bed after the gym ?   But there again I don’t keep lots a dogs an at this given moment have me own dog a kelpie x, my lad got a dog, an my daughter got a house pet so they can have lots time spent with them 

dogs can handle a lot more than 99% folk think, fcuk id go as far as to say very few folk( me included) don’t even get them to their fullest potential when getting them fit??

That’s what I mean it’s a job a lurchers is capable of doing but it’s not a lurchers job. I do think though if a dogs had a hard shift and you want it out again in a couple of days rest goes a long way 

15 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

What you mean by rest tho, pitting dog to bed for a few days? Mine sleep like babies at night, but wouldn’t dream of closing there eyes whilst I’m up an about Cos they know at some point they be goin somewhere ? I was out last night, by no means a hard shift but pup had 17 bunnies come home around half 2 this morn an washed her feet, gave her some warm grun am rubbed her down, into bed an she was out an waiting for me this morning, Iv saw them stay in bed most the day after but then they bouncing again an deffo never had one need a few days rest unless it’s injured mate, but I do try an keep them quite fit but like I said I ain’t got time or brains to get a dog to it’s full potential, these mongrely lurchers can take some graft whem kept right 

Depends what you’re doing with them, just an example say I’ve got a dog out on a Monday beating woods, has 3 or 4 good runs, I’d get him home, wash his feet, rub him down, dinner and in to bed. Next day I’d let him laze about the garden all day because I want him well rested to be back out on the Wednesday, same again Thursday because we’d be out Friday night then weekend off where it would just be good walks down the beach, if you’re wanting to run them hard I reckon they need rest days where they get to lie about the garden relaxing

Edited by Shadow100
2 hours ago, Shadow100 said:

I mean what lurchers are bred to do, course & catch running game. Rabbits & hares, foxes, deer (pre ban). Flushing game birds in a beating line & retrieving them isn’t proper lurcher work, it’s a task a lurcher can do if the owner wants, but it’s not lurcher work.

Well thanks for letting me know all the years me and those before me who used lurchers to work nets , work with ferrets ,bush  and to put a dinner on the table by any means is not lurcher work what is then enlighten me ?

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

He means you could have done all them jobs with a diff type a dog, real lurcher work is running, surely? I use nets an ferrets together an nets on there own an I can do them plus busing with me lads plummer , an I do so?

That’s exactly what I mean, the lurcher is a breed of dog crossed with a sighthound, the whole point of adding the sighthound is to add speed for running, that’s the lurchers job 

An anology in lurchers I've often used is; " I'd rather have a Daley Thompson, than a Usain Bolt" !

A dog that's good in a few disciplines rather than a dog that's great in only one.

But that's just me, I don't care what others do, my dog only has to please me , and if that is also doing a bit of beating or picking up, so be it.

Cheers.

Edited by chartpolski
  • Like 1
8 minutes ago, Shadow100 said:

That’s exactly what I mean, the lurcher is a breed of dog crossed with a sighthound, the whole point of adding the sighthound is to add speed for running, that’s the lurchers job 

That begs the question, What is a lurcher?

7 minutes ago, sandymere said:

That begs the question, What is a lurcher?

sighthound x herding dog  ,longdog        sighthound x sighthound think it goeds back to the days when the common man couldnt own pure greyhounds  , so he managed to cross them with the old farm collie .

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

An anology in lurchers I've often used is; " I'd rather have a Daley Thompson, than a Usain Bolt" !

A dog that's good in a few disciplines rather than a dog that's great in only one.

But that's just me, I don't care what others do, my dog only has to please me , and if that is also doing a bit of beating or picking up, so be it.

Cheers.

I don’t reckon because a lurchers no good for gundog work it’s a one trick pony. There’s a lot of quarry in this country a dog can go at to be considered an all rounder without having to touch a game bird

1 minute ago, Shadow100 said:

I don’t reckon because a lurchers no good for gundog work it’s a one trick pony. There’s a lot of quarry in this country a dog can go at to be considered an all rounder without having to touch a game bird

Neither do I.

Some people are extremely happy with one trick ponies, be it on hares, fox, deer, whatever. That's their choice, good luck to them, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the pursuit of excellence in one chosen field !

i like to have a go at everything with my dogs, and they sure as hell won't excel at everything, but that's my choice.

As I say, if they keep me happy, that's all that counts.

Cheers.

31 minutes ago, Shadow100 said:

Whats the other half put in a lurcher for then ?and when i get a bunny bolt across a field or one in the beam what you think my lurcher does shoot them??

17 minutes ago, Shadow100 said:

Have you not come across partridges on the lamp ?

3 minutes ago, Loton Moocher said:

Whats the other half put in a lurcher for then ?and when i get a bunny bolt across a field or one in the beam what you think my lurcher does shoot them??

We’ll leave it at that I think, could go on all night, best of luck to you & your dog for the upcoming pheasant season.