Lurchers and Thermal

2 hours ago, Shadow100 said:

Just in my mind like I wouldn’t want a pup out of dogs that spent days messing about on shoots mid season but we’re all different if that’s what men like fair play to them.

Its changed days and not for the better the proper poachers lurcher is a rare thing to find because instead of trying to outsmart keepers most lurchermen want to be in with them.

Ha ha what you class as a proper poachers dog ?

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Out of curiosity, who decided? 

I got to page 7 then jumped to the this page did I miss anything?

when I was a partridge keeper I used to do ten thousand a year and partridges are in and out the pen in about 12 hours, if you not on your game fox wise your stuffed, I am still on the same land with

Posted Images

54 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

He means you could have done all them jobs with a diff type a dog, real lurcher work is running, surely? I use nets an ferrets together an nets on there own an I can do them plus busing with me lads plummer , an I do so?

Thats a fast plummer you use if it catches runners wow

3 minutes ago, poxon said:

a collie cur bred thing surely 

3 minutes ago, poxon said:

a collie cur bred thing surely 

I always thort it was a crafty thing that could turn its paw to most things ,and yeah the original lurchet was made from a cur /grey bred by old drovers closely followed by yes wait for it the beddy/grey ?

2 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Taking birds an fish an ground game by night, using nets an snares am traps, a dog needed fed an was a hindrance to them folk, I came from a family of the, everyday folk in a big city but would travel away orut the estates or salmon rivers to put food on the table an money in the family pot? They had dogs but they weren’t used for poaching they were used for a bit fun at weekend or whatever  out for a run or a few ?

they were used a fair bit on bambi  mate 

5 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

But that’s just one species, an most poachers didn’t take deer mate,  atleast not the ones I heard about, my family had big dogs capable of deer but like I said them dogs were used mostly at weekends during the day?

north of the wall i think like you say salmon was the thing , and still is  so im told

It’s like tales of the old poachers on here ?law still classifies poaching as the same thing be with dog or traps....trespass an taking game/hunting with out consent we’ve just moved forward with methods that suits modern time hunting it’s not done as a means to feed a starving family any longer  it’s done as a past time it’s like the use of thermal it’s to aid effectively in the methods used 

• Like 2

? As a youth, I never understood the term poacher,..I thought that anything we could catch from the fields and woods, belonged to the man that took it...

Obviously, as time went by, I learned different...?

Dogs are great for certain tasks, but for ground game,  the wires were always favorite...Rabbits, Hares, Pheasants and Deer all succumbed to the hangman's noose.

Plus factor was, "Ye ain't got to feed a snare"....?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 3
3 hours ago, Shadow100 said:

Depends what you’re doing with them, just an example say I’ve got a dog out on a Monday beating woods, has 3 or 4 good runs, I’d get him home, wash his feet, rub him down, dinner and in to bed. Next day I’d let him laze about the garden all day because I want him well rested to be back out on the Wednesday, same again Thursday because we’d be out Friday night then weekend off where it would just be good walks down the beach, if you’re wanting to run them hard I reckon they need rest days where they get to lie about the garden relaxing

3 or 4 runs and needs a day rest? f**k that!