The Mighty Oak

2 minutes ago, WILF said:

My local town has Oak in the name mate also but obviously in Gealic ?

Nice one wilf, did you see this before ten mins from me, over the border

image.png.cdb632b33fc53e9de20c01cc8e24fbf8.pngimage.png.77ae61f9dc974a917cc87b2645adc354.png

Celtic Cross, a man did this some going wilf. 

Edited by Francie
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Found this tree on my travels one time down Bristol way. I was absolutely blown away by the sheer scale and beauty of it and it ranks up there if not above with any animal I've seen for just being in

Yeah I have an Oak at the top of the garden, the acorns fall and up little Oak's come every where.  I'm very fond of the Oak tree myself and read an interesting book about them. I wanted to put a

Its taken 18 years mate. I don't know if any body is interested this was the mound when I cleared in and planted the tree. This is the other side. 2010 Phone shot

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

You from derry Francie? I got family there, they moved there from Glasgow years back an love the place, thanks for the history lesson ?

Yeah katch derry city, on the border with donegal, is your family in the town, or out in the county derry somewere? 

1 minute ago, Francie said:

image.png.cdb632b33fc53e9de20c01cc8e24fbf8.pngimage.png.77ae61f9dc974a917cc87b2645adc354.png

Never seen that mate, it’s amazing.

The spelling for Oak Grove is slightly different for my town, they spell it “doirin” 

As I said, in the pre Christian British isles before we were separate countries the oak was revered by our people.

I personally like to think they could relate to something so embedded in the very soil of their lands, the ground they stood on literally meant everything to them.

That may just be a romantic fantasy of mine but there’s something about the oak and these islands that stirs something 

4 minutes ago, WILF said:

Never seen that mate, it’s amazing.

The spelling for Oak Grove is slightly different for my town, they spell it “doirin” 

As I said, in the pre Christian British isles before we were separate countries the oak was revered by our people.

I personally like to think they could relate to something so embedded in the very soil of their lands, the ground they stood on literally meant everything to them.

That may just be a romantic fantasy of mine but there’s something about the oak and these islands that stirs something 

No fantasy wilf, your right it is romantic I love it mate, it means everything,am glad st colmcille named it derry not londonderry haha oj 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
21 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Town I think, big family mate, mcnally they called, like i say from Glasgow to start with, was always on me case to go over Cos my Aunty knows I’m into the dogs an says it’s a good place for them ?

If you ever over visiting your family, let me know, your more than welcome at my house, an we'll do a bit of country activities?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
42 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

You from derry Francie? I got family there, they moved there from Glasgow years back an love the place, thanks for the history lesson ?

Do you ever get over here mate ?, I know you live in a pretty bloody nice place yourself but it’s well worth a visit, nearly the whole country is rural and it’s lovely ?

1 minute ago, W. Katchum said:

Only time I ever over was goin to jigsaw, an both the folk an place itself made me come home an tell wife an kids if we ever leave here we going to south of Ireland, never met such nice friendly folk since I left Glasgow an that’s the truth mate, I love where I am now but there is deffo a connection I can’t put me finger on with Ireland an I now get why a lot of family moved over after visiting ?

Could you understand any of them down Jigsaws way ? Haha 

Joking aside, I hear you mate, I always say it’s normal people being normal to each other in a land not yet ruined ?

To think the whole of Britain was like this once huh ? ?

57 minutes ago, Francie said:

They've done something similar in Germany in the 1940s, but with a different symbol obviously.....

1 hour ago, Francie said:

That is truly amazing. I love it Francie. thanks.

Cheers Arry

• Like 1

I'm sure you put that on here before francie and I agree with everyone it is amazing what 1 man done.i bet he was some lad to sit in that forest. with having a cuppa with.

That's the work of someone with real pride in there country.

Some nice footage of it here.

• Like 1