Lynx in Scotland

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No need to go to Africa for seeing hypocritical "green" behavior. In Romania we are forced to fully protect bears, wolves and lynxes only because we had bad representatives when we negotiated EU membe

It does strike me as somewhat hypocritical that 'we' think we can tell Africa how to conserve their native fauna and ecosystems when we wiped ours out hundreds of years ago and won't give reintroducti

I did do a seach but i accidently typed in Big Twats, your name was top of the list.

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Greyman said:

Really good little documentary for anyone interested and if you get to the end take note of how much trouble a good tracker in his own back yard has finding the semi tame lynx he,s reared ?

A good watch greyman 

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Rusty_terrier said:

Would they have a big impact on roe,rabbit and fox numbers?

In areas where we have a lynx family, roe completely disappears in 2-3 years. They are moving away from danger or they are eaten.

I'm saying this from experience, I'm not quoting here from National Geographic or from some TV documentary.

• Like 4

caught a Scottish wild cat back in the day that the terrier had bolted from the base of an old tree my lurcher at the time 3/4 grey 1/4 bull had a bit of a time with it at one point she was wearing it like a davey crocket hat so I think these would take a bit of doing 

• Like 1

This could be a case of "be careful of what you wish for"....if they are successful in getting permission to release the lynx then I wouldn't be surprised in a few years to see the same kind of attempt made to reintroduce the bear and wolf,down south here they have just released another 7 sea eagles on the IOW....god knows where this latest batch will end but I have hear one of the last lot released is flying around with red kites well inland...fully expect to read of missing lambs and small pets in months to come as the EU have taken all the fish!

5 hours ago, Rusty_terrier said:

Not so good for me then as only thing I have round me worth going at is roe deer.

Don’t panic mate if you ain’t got no muntjacs now you’ll be tripping over the little feckers in a couple of years, very nocturnal and a good size to lug about and spreading like a rash, ???

1 hour ago, weebster said:

This could be a case of "be careful of what you wish for"....if they are successful in getting permission to release the lynx then I wouldn't be surprised in a few years to see the same kind of attempt made to reintroduce the bear and wolf,down south here they have just released another 7 sea eagles on the IOW....god knows where this latest batch will end but I have hear one of the last lot released is flying around with red kites well inland...fully expect to read of missing lambs and small pets in months to come as the EU have taken all the fish!

Don’t think it will ever go any bigger in reality mate for a couple of reasons, one the eu have been driving the rewinding program and as we are leaving there will be no more funding and more importantly any risk to human life would have to many repercussions for it to be even considered, maybe in a large fenced area but never at liberty, 

The Lynx we have here eat mostly Roe and Reindeer a reindeer can weight up to 90kg (or similar to a fallow deer). Yes they take a lot of sheeps. I has happened they have attacked dogs(and one pony) but its not very common. Then hunted with dogs they run until it climbs up in a tree or on a rock, its safe for the dog wildboar hunting has much more injuries on dogs. Max weight 30+kg normaly 12-15kg, they can be hunted here with 222r and bigger and also shotgun.

Robert Salomonsson video, he had one dangerous encounter only because he is allergic to cats.

• Like 1

"and there is only one country that looses any significant amount of sheep"

If they locally take 50 sheeps its significant for the owners. 

"Would they have a big impact on roe,rabbit and fox numbers?"

Yes big impact on roe not so much on fox, 100% on rabbit we dont have any here in northern Sweden never had.

"In areas where we have a lynx family, roe completely disappears in 2-3 years. They are moving away from danger or they are eaten.  I'm saying this from experience, I'm not quoting here from National Geographic or from some TV documentary."

Yes this has been our observation too they emtpy the area on roe deer and moves on. Lynx can also follow a reindeer herd in the winter, reindeers are moving to find food under the snow.

"Im surrounded by big blocks of forestry here and you hardly see a fox so a shy animal like a lynx would be a rare sight. Im not so sure hill keepers would be delighted mind you, that is a direct and relevant threat to their living."

I have seen Lynx  three times, bear 5-6 times. My neighbor had one lynx on her porch.

Edited by KimE
  • Like 1

Without wishing to get into a lynx off, I don’t think there are very many similarity’s between your country’s and ours, the way your sheep are grazed, the amount of forest cover in your country, you also have more alpha predators competing for your deer population where as we have none and are over run with the f***ing things and the human population difference means we will only ever have a tiny population, not much difference to how it is anyway ?