Sign in to follow this  
jetro

Living in the past

1 hour ago, chartpolski said:

You're right !

I try not to look back through rose tinted glasses, and yes the 60's were great and I was at the right age to enjoy every moment of them, but I've seen life , in general, improve greatly since the 50's

I'm pretty stoical and frugal, but happy, I have friends and family who work all hours, won't start a family because they both have to work, but both have new leased cars every three years, live in four bedroom houses thought there's just the two of them, go on exotic holidays, eat in fancy restaurants, but are up to their eyes in debt and are terrified of losing their jobs. They aren't happy, but that's their choice.

Cheers.

And that’s the problem with this world. People think they need all the fancy things to live a good life. Not for me roof over my head and food on the plate is number 1. I got cheapest cars I can afford and maintain my self. Cheapest phone contract. On a 5 year old phone. People my age with everything look to be living a amazing life with the material things. But can’t afford to scratch there arse. Money spent on cars phones and other things a month would be paying a mortgage 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, WILF said:

What’s he saying Max ? 

Watch his content from when he talks about getting a 10 stretch and how he decided to implement things in his life to make things better' walking away from always wanting more and more re material things ' getting his body fit thus his mind and soul. Re

Focousing on helping others and not just thinking about self and image ect.

Many things ' he's a bit full on but imo his message is a good one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WILF said:

See, I don’t recognise that world you describe at all mate ?......it’s why it’s fascinating to read others views.

By the way, I’m not saying you are wrong, it’s just different views.

I will agree that kids horizons are bigger and that’s a good thing but I genuinely fear the world they have to enter into.

As I said, I think we are in a dark time and I don’t know where it’s going to end up......everywhere I look I see madness.

Maybe it was always that way ? 

I think, perhaps, that the fact that you have the time, and freedom, to think about and form these opinions shows that its not so bad just now.

In the not so distant past you'd have been so exhausted from working on someone else's land to provide for whatever family disease and / or war had left you with that you wouldn't have had the time to even think about it. 

Its true that the world is in no great shape now but I think its been that way for quite some time and unlikely to get much better or worse.

All we can do is make the very best of what we've got and not waste our lives wishing for something different.

My opinion anyway, for what its worth.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rusty_terrier said:

People get too caught up in what bads going on around them. Sure theres crime and poverty around me. But I've got a job, ̶g̶r̶e̶a̶t̶ wife and kid

Same mate

• Haha 1

On 13/08/2020 at 11:55, jetro said:

If you live in any part of history, when would it be and why.

For me it would be when they were building newgrange in the Boyne valley. 

Just to see how and why they did it. 

I know a bit of a silly question, but it makes a nice change, 

Atb j 

Bollocks your going to set a booby trap device to kill king billy before he wins, awwwwwwww jetro i didnt think you got involved in all that hahahaha

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Born Hunter said:

The Palaeolithic or maybe ancient/classical Greece.

Don't do that Born :no:

.......... you'll either be eaten by monkey people or, bummed by a bloke wrapped in a dust sheet 😬

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jonjon79 said:

Don't do that Born :no:

.......... you'll either be eaten by monkey people or, bummed by a bloke wrapped in a dust sheet 😬

Oh that’s alright, it was being bummed by monkeys I was worried about!

• Haha 2

I used to ask my grandaddy who was born a sharecropper to tell me about the good old days.He would say that the only good thing about them days is there gone!

• Like 2

Maybe ive misread the question but i thought it was what era in history would you like to have lived in not would you like to have lived yesterday or today.

Personally ive always fancied those wild west days of late 1800,s America when men pitted their wits against each other.... it all looked very interesting in the films anyway 😆

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

Maybe ive misread the question but i thought it was what era in history would you like to have lived in not would you like to have lived yesterday or today.

Personally ive always fancied those wild west days of late 1800,s America when men pitted their wits against each other.... it all looked very interesting in the films anyway 😆

I fancy that  era also but wouldn't HONESTLY wanted to live back then.A paper cut could still kill you.

• Like 1

If it was going back to a point in time from the present, after placing a few bets in more recent times it would have to be the middle east when Jesus of Nazareth was around and find out what the craic was with all that. Seeing the building of the pyramids and Stonehenge would be interesting. I imagine some things would not have changed,  slaves "job's a joke, we'll never get finished on time!", high priests " howay, come on!".

• Like 2

I grew up right on the edge of what I regard as change for the worse .Born 65 so saw all the freedoms we had with dogs until the silly ban .Someone mentioned the internet and I’d agree this is one of the major turning points in world history .People being able to see beyond their own limitations and wanting more than is practical or achievable within their own means .If I could of lived in any century previous I know I wouldn’t of achieved what I have today though ,in travel ,work or happiness ,met the people I have or worked dogs the places I have but back then I was just as happy walking the local places not knowing ant better .

Someone writes of humans as a herd animal ,can’t disagree more strongly on that one .I know several people who live solitary lives and no worse for it and I sometimes hanker for that myself .

Will be lads on here that can identify with that I’m sure .

Life is what it is ,we are here for the blink of an eye so don’t waste it ,live dreams and travel .

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We're here for a good time, not a long time 

Atb j 

• Like 1

Someone writes about poverty etc and I can’t help but think some are just born to be culls whereas some shine .

We can’t all be equal that’s for sure because evolution favours those who want to be evolved and dosnt allow for slow starters ,sickness or background .