• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well it had to happen . Slinky 2 is no more . Well I hope it’s slinky 2 because I’m done with that place . Two fruitless visits over the weekend and I’d almost resigned myself to not shooting it . 

Last weekend I was having a natter to a couple I know outside my house and gave them some eggs . The conversation turned to where I got the eggs and I explained that I shoot foxes on a farm that produ

Full of renewed hope and optimism I arrived at the small holding to finish a job that has been dragging on longer than is should have . I had my plan of where I was going to hide , this time with a sh

Posted Images

Full of renewed hope and optimism I arrived at the small holding to finish a job that has been dragging on longer than is should have . I had my plan of where I was going to hide , this time with a shotgun. 
        By the time I got there the owner had already closed the birds in . The wind had picked up and was in my favour.... things were looking good .

I waited until about 10.30 and I could no longer see to shoot . I switched over to thermal and rifle set up and soon spotted a fox quartering a paddock like a spaniel I tried to stop it with a whistle and then a squeak but it just hit the hedge and disappeared.

I gave it a bit longer and decided to call it a night . I will be back in a day or so . Have faith people, I will shoot this fox , I as they say only need to be lucky once , slinky 2 has to be lucky all the time .?

• Like 8

You don't know how happy I am that you got a slinky to frustrate you ? Took me near three years!

Now I have another lamp shy turn up. Worse than slinky 1! Slinky 1 would at least give me the finger! This one nothing!

When I find out who is educating them I will be having words!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I used to use 42gr No: 3 or 1's (can't seem to see 1's in heavy non magnum anymore) eg Gamebore Mammoth. Avoid the trap of going for too large a shot over numbers of shot.  At range the large singles carry more energy but the overall shocking effect can be insufficient to kill. Better to carry slightly less energy per shot and have a lot more hits and thus overall shock.1's or 3' tend to be the sweet spot with BB's the largest I'd ever personally go.

Also if you're going out after fox, I'd choke the gun up 3/4 or full. That way you have maximum range. Obviously, if you're shooting other game, the choking needs to be appropriate for that as shooting charly will just be opportunist. At close range choked up the shot will be like a slug. No spread, but then again if you're missing good positioning or even the whole target at eg 10 yds you clearly need to shoot shome clays!

Gamebore do a magnum cartridge with 63gr No;1 if you want to really go extreme. Unecessary though.

3 hours ago, Alsone said:

I used to use 42gr No: 3 or 1's (can't seem to see 1's in heavy non magnum anymore) eg Gamebore Mammoth. Avoid the trap of going for too large a shot over numbers of shot.  At range the large singles carry more energy but the overall shocking effect can be insufficient to kill. Better to carry slightly less energy per shot and have a lot more hits and thus overall shock.1's or 3' tend to be the sweet spot with BB's the largest I'd ever personally go.

Also if you're going out after fox, I'd choke the gun up 3/4 or full. That way you have maximum range. Obviously, if you're shooting other game, the choking needs to be appropriate for that as shooting charly will just be opportunist. At close range choked up the shot will be like a slug. No spread, but then again if you're missing good positioning or even the whole target at eg 10 yds you clearly need to shoot shome clays!

Gamebore do a magnum cartridge with 63gr No;1 if you want to really go extreme. Unecessary though.

Thanks for your words of wisdom, your sage advice is valued by us all . ?

Well at least I saw one of mine this morning. 04:10am. It saw me at the end of a chicken unit and dashed up the track to the far fields.

I followed it's prints for a mile but lost it.

IMG_20200614_052120871.jpg.c59d5d66611cd3d3b3acf95e5443e080.jpg

I didn't push to hard because a field of grass is coming off soon and a cub was seen in it yesterday!

Close but no cigar!

• Like 5