Last weekend I was having a natter to a couple I know outside my house and gave them some eggs . The conversation turned to where I got the eggs and I explained that I shoot foxes on a farm that produces eggs . “ oh that’s interesting because my sister has a small holding and a fox has been taking her chickens and geese”  . I told her to give them my number and forgot all about it . 
        The other  night I had a phone call from the sisters husband and it took me a moment to figure out who I was talking to . It turns out that they live near Tewkesbury in the middle of nowhere and keep horses and poultry. Although they try to ensure that there is adequate protection they are losing birds all the time,  at all hours of the day and night . Even though it’s about 10 miles from me I said I’d be there last night . 
          I arrived at about 8.0pm and introduced myself, and they proceeded to show me the scene of the foxes crimes . The property is situated on behind flood defences, high burms ideal for shooting down from (Tewkesbury floods .....a lot) in fact there is a crude expression locally, when trying to describe the state of a females sexual arousal , one could say “ her was wetter than a Tewkesbury doorstep “!!! You probably need to say it in a West Country accent ( think Jethro ) . 
         So the owners left me to it and I got a garden chair and sat down to observe the paddocks where I was assured I would see the fox , “ her comes from that hedge , through that gate and across this paddock , but hers quick mind “!! 
        I settled down for my vigil, and at that time when light is failing she showed herself, she was moving fast , not stopping to sniff around , I squeaked and whistled but she just wouldn’t stop . I ran around the other side of the small holding to intercept it but it had disappeared. I decided to get the thermal out and wait it out . I set up the remote caller and and tried the distressed pheasant, then field mouse, then rabbit. But nothing showed. An hour and a half went by and I was about to call it a night when I detected a heat signature at the end of the paddock. A fox was coming and it had something big in its mouth and it wasn’t stopping, straight across and back the way it had come at full pelt . I reckon that the poultry owners have had a go at this fox and it’s now hyper aware . I plan on coming back Sunday or Monday evening and I will try a tin of cat food spread about on her route to see if it will stop her long enough for me to shoot her . This is going to be a challenge. A new nemesis .

407A3E23-7BF5-473E-B757-096299892F0E.jpeg

28E18B9C-10CC-4CD3-B5D6-250246EF347C.jpeg

• Like 10

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well it had to happen . Slinky 2 is no more . Well I hope it’s slinky 2 because I’m done with that place . Two fruitless visits over the weekend and I’d almost resigned myself to not shooting it . 

Last weekend I was having a natter to a couple I know outside my house and gave them some eggs . The conversation turned to where I got the eggs and I explained that I shoot foxes on a farm that produ

Full of renewed hope and optimism I arrived at the small holding to finish a job that has been dragging on longer than is should have . I had my plan of where I was going to hide , this time with a sh

Posted Images

You,l get him S,L he,s going to keep coming back for an easy meal.

Last night first outing since lockdown after 3 hours saw a fox at the bottom of the hill in the thermal going away from me.

So a quick blast on the acme caller what a mistake, flew off like a scolded cat .

Don't know who,s educated it as ive  been away 10 weeks during lockdown ?

This run is fox railway including in an entry and exit hole but the grass is higher keith Richards so a shotgun sounds like next steps .

When the monsoon stops il get back out and have another go .

No doubt when you get this 1 S,l another will be along to replace it so you're going to be clocking up the miles atb

• Like 3

Through the gate way:hmm: is the gate left open and if so draw it almost closed so she has to go through the gap with a wire set on it maybe?,but the run she uses at speed is her weak spot i'd say..

• Like 1

Snares are out of the question as the gate is shut  between two horse paddocks . The shotgun could work. But I would rather make 100% sure and get the fox to stop on some cat food . It’s something I’ve done in the past in situations like this , they wind the food and can’t help but investigate. 
      The problem as I see it with the shotgun is the horses , I’d want to close the distance a bit to make sure I don’t just wound it . That means I’d probably have the horses right next to me sniffing and wanting a carrot or something. It’s always the same with livestock, if you try to set up next to them they just converge on you . 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, foxdropper said:

Sounds like you need to ask at the next place too mate .There are obviously cubs around as well so maybe stake out an earth if you find it .Been getting a few myself lately and sorting cubs .

Waste of time , it’s big hunting country. I’ve got to laugh , cos this fox is one of the wariest foxes I’ve come across for a while . Someone has had a go at it , and made my job harder . All it does is make it all the sweeter when I do bring it down . I’m out now , I’m armed with some co-op dog food which I’ve just scattered over the paddock. Fingers crossed ? 

C47C392D-DBA3-47BC-8766-3F3A65D07E5D.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
9 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

Waste of time , it’s big hunting country. I’ve got to laugh , cos this fox is one of the wariest foxes I’ve come across for a while . Someone has had a go at it , and made my job harder . All it does is make it all the sweeter when I do bring it down . I’m out now , I’m armed with some co-op dog food which I’ve just scattered over the paddock. Fingers crossed ? 

Good luck..:victory:

• Thanks 1
51 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

Err, you can't use that! I thought the co-op was against blood sports!!

• Haha 4
6 hours ago, Balaur said:

Kinda ironic their product may lead to a fox getting slotted. ?

There is a huge commercial shoot down the road from me. They been there donkeys. Ivor Bigg'n is his name. They rent the land off the co-op!

Edited by Sausagedog
  • Haha 1

Money talks,morals walk the prices they charge ripping the elderly off in their shops is beyond a joke.

A bit like May admitting he employed a deer stalker to control the deer on his estate. Hypocrisy at the basest level from the "environmentalist agenda"

A certain chlis plickham  takes wages from the rspb who cull foxes on their property. 

And breathe ??

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Well I arrived and scattered the tin of dog food around the paddock and tucked myself behind a bush at the top of the flood bank . As the light faded I stood , gun at the ready on the sticks , safety off . I felt a little bit like a Heron at the waters edge waiting for a little fish to swim past , I was focused and motionless, this fox was dead meat . I had the script all planned out . The fox enters the field via the gate , and runs across the paddock left to right , but smells the dog food , stops to investigate, bang !!!! 
         Well needless to say the fox didn’t read his role in the script . As I waited, it turned 10pm the light just going, a movement just below me , the fox running tight to the fence at the bottom of the bank , not 10 meters away . My pulse quickened , I watched it disappear and could do nothing, a minute later out of the corner of my eye it appeared next to a hole in the chicken wire by some bushes , saw me and disappeared. This is a shotgun job . I stuck it out for another hour but saw nothing, there was not a breath of wind and eventually I headed for home . I will give it a day or so before I return. As if to tease me , as I turned the corner into the road leading to my house a fox stood in the road and looked at me before casually sauntering up a garden path . ?

• Like 3