Another trip to get on terms with slinky 2 . Another waste of time . The problem is I’ve basically got one paddock to shoot it in and it is a very spooked fox . And tonight I found out why . I was waiting with the  shotgun, then when it got too dark I switched to the thermal and digisight on my .223 . I heard a vehicle turn up in the field next to the paddock, a lamp shone around followed by the crack of what I would guess was a 17hmr . The guy with the rimfire had a few more shots at I’m guessing rabbits. I didn’t see him pick anything up or even shoot anything, I witnessed the whole sorry shooting display with my thermal. It was a bit disconcerting having someone shooting in such close proximity and I could hear the bullets wizzing past in front of me . I would think this guy is responsible for the fox being so scared. I am also wondering if it was for my benefit to get me to leave because the farmer is into his hunting and maybe doesn’t want the fox shot . Either way it worked and I left . But just like Arnie , “ I’ll be back “!!

• Sad 1

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well it had to happen . Slinky 2 is no more . Well I hope it’s slinky 2 because I’m done with that place . Two fruitless visits over the weekend and I’d almost resigned myself to not shooting it . 

Last weekend I was having a natter to a couple I know outside my house and gave them some eggs . The conversation turned to where I got the eggs and I explained that I shoot foxes on a farm that produ

Full of renewed hope and optimism I arrived at the small holding to finish a job that has been dragging on longer than is should have . I had my plan of where I was going to hide , this time with a sh

Posted Images

4 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

Another trip to get on terms with slinky 2 . Another waste of time . The problem is I’ve basically got one paddock to shoot it in and it is a very spooked fox . And tonight I found out why . I was waiting with the  shotgun, then when it got too dark I switched to the thermal and digisight on my .223 . I heard a vehicle turn up in the field next to the paddock, a lamp shone around followed by the crack of what I would guess was a 17hmr . The guy with the rimfire had a few more shots at I’m guessing rabbits. I didn’t see him pick anything up or even shoot anything, I witnessed the whole sorry shooting display with my thermal. It was a bit disconcerting having someone shooting in such close proximity and I could hear the bullets wizzing past in front of me . I would think this guy is responsible for the fox being so scared. I am also wondering if it was for my benefit to get me to leave because the farmer is into his hunting and maybe doesn’t want the fox shot . Either way it worked and I left . But just like Arnie , “ I’ll be back “!!

Sad. I've had similar my self mate.

You can never second guess an idiot!

• Like 2
11 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

3 things to do:

1. Clear up with the farmer who it is and if they have permission to be there

2. If shooting the same land, make yourself known. You don't want the other shooter seeing you as a shadow in the next field, thinking you're a fox and taking a shot or seeing a rabbit between you and him and taking the shot with you as the background! A flashlight should clear up your presence.

3. Get a clear understanding from the farmer of what he wants shot. A permission is not a licence to shoot anything on the land but what the farmer wants shot and if you shoot species he doesn't want controlling, then you risk losing your permission. Always a good idea to know exactly what the famer wants doing and to keep in with him with the odd present of a bottle of wine or similar every now again. It deosn't hurt to be the favoured shooter if there is more than one.

1 hour ago, Alsone said:

3 things to do:

1. Clear up with the farmer who it is and if they have permission to be there

2. If shooting the same land, make yourself known. You don't want the other shooter seeing you as a shadow in the next field, thinking you're a fox and taking a shot or seeing a rabbit between you and him and taking the shot with you as the background! A flashlight should clear up your presence.

3. Get a clear understanding from the farmer of what he wants shot. A permission is not a licence to shoot anything on the land but what the farmer wants shot and if you shoot species he doesn't want controlling, then you risk losing your permission. Always a good idea to know exactly what the famer wants doing and to keep in with him with the odd present of a bottle of wine or similar every now again. It deosn't hurt to be the favoured shooter if there is more than one.

Where would we be without this guy hey ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well I think ? a mind of information and some  things explained that we may not understand of how the process works regarding safe shooting, I find theses comments invaluable 

fuc me I’m lucky to be a member on this site 

atb 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
35 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

God only knows.

I feel as though I’ve spent my entire adult life stumbling around in the dark . Thanks Alsone for guiding me through this latest misadventure. I prostrate myself at your fountain of common sense and knowledge which has before now not been available to me .

• Haha 7
10 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

I feel as though I’ve spent my entire adult life stumbling around in the dark . Thanks Alsone for guiding me through this latest misadventure. I prostrate myself at your fountain of common sense and knowledge which has before now not been available to me .

Not sure if I'm sensing sarcasm here or not. :laugh:

Or to summarise: If there's wankers you don't know blasting away in the dark, go somewhere else. :thumbs:

37 minutes ago, walshie said:

Not sure if I'm sensing sarcasm here or not. :laugh:

Or to summarise: If there's wankers you don't know blasting away in the dark, go somewhere else. :thumbs:

Yeah but why use only one paragraph when you can use four ?

• Haha 2

I think SL 

WE should all meet down on this paddock have a look around the adjoining fields 

and make a safe secure plan in the way forward for you get get to grips with slinky 2 

if we can’t all agree on the best way forward , you can invite your mentor down 

In the knowledge that I’m sure the way forward will become clear 

atb mate ??

16 minutes ago, David.evans said:

I think SL 

WE should all meet down on this paddock have a look around the adjoining fields 

and make a safe secure plan in the way forward for you get get to grips with slinky 2 

if we can’t all agree on the best way forward , you can invite your mentor down 

In the knowledge that I’m sure the way forward will become clear 

atb mate ??

At last someone who knows what they are doing . Don’t forget a hard hat and high vis vest for your risk assessment. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
8 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

At last someone who knows what they are doing . Don’t forget a hard hat and high vis vest for your risk assessment. 

Dont forget your goggles ,gloves and boots. Hope you've done a lone worker risk assessment too and have the guardian app ??????

• Haha 2

I’m not coming down mate ! 

2 fold reasons mr alsone would be your mentor ( with the vast amount of knowledge that is stored up stairs 

I can’t do a risk assessment I’m not the project manager ( Mr Alsone again ) 

any way I’m a brummie and can’t right ( spelt wrong ) ?

atb mate ?

• Haha 3