Back up at the shoot

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Baldcoot said:

Going to be a lot of pheasants surplus this year .Pheasant sausage rolls,Pheasant pie ,lots of ideas for recipes as I can't see them allowing shoots December/January or extending into February  ??

On the up side, I’ve got myself a free game larder paid for by the syndicate members, every cloud and all that ??

• Like 2

I did diced pheasant in olive oil, garlic salt and black pepper. 

Once fried added a can of leek and potato soup. Served on sweet potatoes.  Took 20mins. Jamie Oliver  would of been impressed. It was so good.

The bird was neck shot at 8 0 yards or so rested.  22 subbie.

I thought pheasants were legally protected and have closed season! Is this not a contradiction by WJ?

These birds have roamed Britain  for centuries.  Just what was the damage they cause again??

Is this ban fox hunting in another guise?

I'm sick of this world.

Edited by Sausagedog
  • Like 2

It comes down to numbers, if people put 30,000 birds down on a commercial shoot and don’t shoot them and stop feeding them because there’s no revenue from shooting, then that’s another 30,000 birds competing for food, you can bet your arse if the shoots don’t take responsibility for the birds they have put down it will be used against them 

1 hour ago, Stavross said:

You’ll have to stock up on pheasants for over Christmas, you had better bring your A game on Wednesday, we are going to shoot the sh*t out of them

The more pheasants in my freezer the better mate, the Mrs and I love it. 

Hopefully now I'm shooting off the left shoulder i'll get a few more than usual??

Seemed to work on the corvids over the summer. 

51 minutes ago, ianm said:

It was always going to be a gamble whether or not to put birds down this season.

However i have a feeling from our lot that covid or no covid, lockdown or no lockdown shooting will take place.

I think they will be a few people out doing a bit of rough shooting taking a pheasant or two. 

2 hours ago, Stavross said:

It comes down to numbers, if people put 30,000 birds down on a commercial shoot and don’t shoot them and stop feeding them because there’s no revenue from shooting, then that’s another 30,000 birds competing for food, you can bet your arse if the shoots don’t take responsibility for the birds they have put down it will be used against them 

What competes? Woodpigeons eat similar.  Crows maybe. Finches find plenty. No known species is under threat that I am aware of due to pheasants. Buzzards do extremely well from pheasants as does the fox.

In summer they eat invertebrates but not every species. They certainly do not encroach on other birds invertebrate diet requirements at all.

This is a pure fabricated clap trap veneer to conceal a hidden agenda. The real agenda is communism in as much as they will decide for you what is right or wrong, acceptable or what is not acceptable.

Such a shame these idealist look at this forsaken world through rose coloured spectacles. In the real world once they have succeeded in their quest we will find an underworld emerge whereupon illegal hunting activities continue under the radar. The problem then is that the animal welfare that they parade a banner for will be far worse than it ever is now! Do they really think they can suppress thousands of years of hunting bred in some of us? Who is going to police it? Are they going to fund a Bobby in every holly Bush?

Idealists=from another planet.

What's next convert the whole world to veganism? Really! Ban fossil fuel? Really!

I sure hope they find their perfect world but somehow I doubt it. I certainly for one don't want to live in their idea of a perfect world. A world of intolerance. Fundermentalism. Communism and violence.

The asylum is most definitely  run by the loons now for sure. Government, what government!

• Like 6

The problem is pheasant and partridges ( reds ) are still classed as none native and the likes of wild Justice would like nothing more than been able to say you released 10’s of thousands of none native birds into the countryside and did nothing to manage them, as we know the best way to manage them is to shoot them, if they are not managed it just adds more fuel to the wild Justice fire of licensing game shooting or banning it 

• Like 1