Back up at the shoot

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

20 hours ago, Stavross said:

Oh, I think it’s because it’s on my news app on my phone, no idea how to make it so you can read it ( it’s in the independent)

basically, it’s the government bending over ( AGAIN) and been shafted by wild Justice, it looks like as from next year you will have to have a license to release pheasant and partridge, because wild Justice have said they are an invasive species and have a detrimental effect on indigenous animals, nothing about how much good we do by controlling pests/predators  and feeding everything else not just the birds we put down ? rant over ( for now )

I think it’s basically , you need a license to release birds 500 meters from Special conservation areas SACs and special protection areas SPAs , I’ve had a look on the gov map and most of these areas are coastal . I’m not sure but I don’t think many shoots are going to be affected. I might be wrong but it’s just a “ mini victory “ for wild justice to harp on about , that doesn’t really do anything. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

I think it’s basically , you need a license to release birds 500 meters from Special conservation areas SACs and special protection areas SPAs , I’ve had a look on the gov map and most of these areas are coastal . I’m not sure but I don’t think many shoots are going to be affected. I might be wrong but it’s just a “ mini victory “ for wild justice to harp on about , that doesn’t really do anything. 

Yeah I think you are right, I’ve been reading about it today, the worrying thing about it is if Defra keep buckling with these small changes the likes of wild Justice will move onto bigger things 

• Like 1

Well , it looks like we are getting locked down . I spoke to the boss today and the next three shoots will be cancelled, it looks like we can reschedule them in later as long as the lockdowns  not extended . But speaking to a keeper who runs a commercial shoot , they will be losing £100.000 in lost revenue . Then there is another shoot near me who will be losing double that figure . Some of the Welsh shoots are in even worse condition. It was a gamble shooting in these uncertain times . Hopefully they can sell more days December and January . 

I’ve read that the decision will be given on Wednesday when it’s voted for but at the minute it doesn’t look good for game shooting, pest control and crop protection still look ok as this is an essential service, we’ll wait and see

3 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

I don’t think they have been told . Just waiting for a decision, but I can’t see how it can with the restrictions that the government is laying down .

Yeah, what I’ve just been reading I would of thought they will shut it down, but they will let top flight sports carry on and thousands of kids mix at school. I don’t think this limp wristed, half arsed lockdown will do anything for the spread of the virus, if you are going to shut the country down, do it properly 

• Like 1

Just read it ???. What a load of piss and wind . There are a few sights around the coast and inland wetlands . But even so , all any affected shooting concerns would have to do is move their release pen . They are making out it’s some sort of big victory . I say let them have their pathetic moment, we will carry on .??

• Like 1

Anyway  I was invited duck shooting tonight to my mates shoot. The guns went on the main pond and as I was a guest me and my mate went on a splash 2 fields away . Anyway we were out of the shooting but I did manage a first for me , 2 teal came in and I dropped both with 1 shot ? The guns on the pond had a good flight shooting 4 Canadas  ,mallard , teal   wigeon and a gadwall. 

20201101_181405.jpg

• Like 7