Back up at the shoot

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

30 minutes ago, lllluke1 said:

The commercial shoots should get something off the government for having to stop, what about the smaller shoots, can they claim anything?

Most smaller shoots will get nothing, only if you can show it’s a business that pays tax

ive just been speaking to mate of mine and they are taking about what to do with the birds if they don’t get to shoot for the rest of the season because they can’t just leave that amount of introduced birds on the land

10 minutes ago, Stavross said:

Most smaller shoots will get nothing, only if you can show it’s a business that pays tax

ive just been speaking to mate of mine and they are taking about what to do with the birds if they don’t get to shoot for the rest of the season because they can’t just leave that amount of introduced birds on the land

Now I don't know anything about pheasants, but if you left them till next year, would there be enough cover and feed to last them?  Would it save you on buying as many young next year?

2 minutes ago, lllluke1 said:

Now I don't know anything about pheasants, but if you left them till next year, would there be enough cover and feed to last them?  Would it save you on buying as many young next year?

Going off what they said, they have a responsibility to feed them, which is ok while money is coming in to pay for it and birds are getting shot, lowering the numbers as the pheasant is a competitor for food to the native wildlife. You tend to get a very low return of birds from the previous season, pheasants are not the smartest of creatures and have a habit of killing them selves or been killed 

21 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

If they end up in Section 9 and treated like other non native species you will be able to clear them up out of season ?

Hopefully it won’t come to that, there’s talk of trying to get a month long extension to the season, it  will be a sad state of affairs if birds have to be culled 

Edited by Stavross
  • Sad 1

I always thought that driven grouse shooting would get banned first but now it may be driven pheasants/ partridge if WJ get their way. Why dont we have a lobby as good as them at promoting shooting , they certainly get their teeth stuck in and don't let go.

Just now, Stavross said:

Hopefully it won’t come to that, there’s take of trying to get an month long extension to the season, it’s will be a sad state of affairs if birds have to be culled 

Now is probably the best time to extend the season til the end of February. 

• Like 1

I’ve just organised to shoot on Wednesday, it’s upset a few of the members that can’t make it but sod them, I don’t think they will get another opportunity this year to go game shooting ☹️

Edited by Stavross
  • Like 3

The talk is that we come out of lockdown 2nd December , see how it goes with the “R” for two weeks, then possibly another lockdown and so on . But that is just guessing, who knows ? I’ve got a feeling every shoot will be squeezing as many days in to whatever time we have . One thing is for sure , we can’t afford to feed all these pheasants until next year , worst case scenario is im out rifling them and taking them to the game dealer. I’m actually being paid for them at the moment, it started off at £1.60 a brace then £1 a brace and now 60p a brace , which he told me I would get throughout the season as there are less birds being shot this year . So it would make financial sense to shoot them and get them in the food chain . With the price of wheat the way it is at the moment, feeding them all year just won’t happen.