Back up at the shoot

After seeing nothing on the stubbles I called at another farm on the way home. A fox came to the rabbit call immediately but decided to sit on the farm track skylined so no shot....it must have sat there for 5 mins before wandering off.

Only one thing for it , go and search for it. Now I was walking along the gorse covered bank and it appeared about 40 yds from me , a naive cub so quickly put it to bed ?

20220727_011038.jpg

• Like 4

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

Been out a few times this week as all the barley is now off and my mate has started on the rape, first outing was Tuesday ( I think) to my mates farm, seen the roe buck I’d seen a couple of weeks ago but this time he was in the middle of the field and the back stop or lack of was a road so I had to let him be, the next trip out was Thursday after my mate rang to say they had cleared a full group of rape fields and had push 3 foxes out, so an early evening trip out, I’ve not been taking my phone with me lately and it’s made a big difference, no temptation to look at it instead of concentrating on what I’m doing, anyway, after 15 minutes with the caller on hare death cry a fox appeared from the hedge beside a small stream at the bottom of the field, approximately 120 yards, soon put to sleep with the .243, a dog cub, not a bad size for this time of year, didn’t see anything else before I lost the light so called it a night. Last nights outing was up to the shoot, first stand was the oak wood field where I seen the fox last time I was there, when I first entered the field I could see 3 fallow about 100 yards from me, looking through the scope it was 2 doe’s and a prickett the first male I’ve seen up there since the winter, with the way the wind was blowing I had to move further up the field away from the corner where the fox entered the field, called for approximately  30 minutes before I could see 2 fox shaped heat signatures in the bracken, a couple of minutes later they were both out in the field, one headed towards the caller and sat down looking in the direction of the caller about 90ish yards away, switched the lamp on on the side of the .243 and smacked it in the bib with a 70gn the other one didn’t move and just stud at the edge of the bracken, I changed the volume on the caller trying to temped it out further as I just couldn’t see it properly with the lamp ( dam you red lamp ) but after a couple of minutes it disappeared back into the wood, collecting the shot fox, this one was a small dog cub, I gave the piggeries a go for half an hour and a field down the road from my shoot but didn’t see another fox, there was a good number of fallow doe’s in the oats over the piggeries which is always nice to see, I’ll be back up there tomorrow afternoon to finish the pen repairs off and I might hang around a bit, maybe see if the roe buck that hangs around the farm shows and maybe have a call ?

• Like 5

Out on the barley stubble again this afternoon for the corvids. A bit slower than last week which I was expecting but still had a good afternoon. The birds still decoyed well and I bagged a bonus magpie that came flitting up the hedge.

I was packing up when I had shot 75 but birds still kept coming so jumped back in hide and ended up shooting 95 birds and a bonus squizzer ?

20220731_191653.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just popped out seeing as the rut is in swing to see if anything was chasing about.

Spotted a kid so tried a call thinking mother wont be far away but nothing responded so moved to another spot and again nothing.

Next spot nothing again but when I moved on and neared some bracken a young buck jumped out right in front of me , ran and stopped 15 yds away . A quick boiler room shot and he took off , I was thinking surely I never missed but as he was running off I could see blood spraying from his flank.

Couldnt believe he made 100 yds before dropping with a perfect lung shot.

I tracked the really good blood trail and found him lying in some thistles ?

Youngster with a strange head ?

Will never know if he responded to the call or was just in the bracken...wish he'd called in though.

20220801_165741.jpg

20220801_165951.jpg

20220801_170155.jpg

• Like 3

I had an early wander this morning left home at about 04:40 I shot 4 rabbits but there was loads about but dodgy shots horse paddocks and a house it’s frustrating as I would probably have had double figures if I’d taken my air rifle, I’m just set in my ways.

Mosquitoes were out in force as well they were eating me through my shirt here’s a nice little pic of the sun coming up.

98210F62-A1E9-4351-8366-A061774C7525.jpeg.52ed406b7fa2939d4cc8fc86a51bd4ea.jpeg

• Like 5
22 hours ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Just popped out seeing as the rut is in swing to see if anything was chasing about.

Spotted a kid so tried a call thinking mother wont be far away but nothing responded so moved to another spot and again nothing.

Next spot nothing again but when I moved on and neared some bracken a young buck jumped out right in front of me , ran and stopped 15 yds away . A quick boiler room shot and he took off , I was thinking surely I never missed but as he was running off I could see blood spraying from his flank.

Couldnt believe he made 100 yds before dropping with a perfect lung shot.

I tracked the really good blood trail and found him lying in some thistles ?

Youngster with a strange head ?

Will never know if he responded to the call or was just in the bracken...wish he'd called in though.

20220801_165741.jpg

20220801_165951.jpg

20220801_170155.jpg

Nice shot placement Mark ,see you’ve been practicing since I last met you .?