Back up at the shoot

Up to the shoot this morning early to try and beat the flies, turns out they get up earlier than me, so I’ve finished the pen repairs and redone the pop holes, I’ve just the IBC’s to fill with water and the electric fences to go on, all that’s left to come down now is the wheat and apparently that’s coming down this week, now the barley, rape and oats are all combined I can see a lot more and I’m surprised at how many young are about, I went over on the rape stubbles and there was 2 groups of young red legs about 20 in all, they will of come from what next door put down last year and a group of poults at the back of the piggeries tree side drive. It’s very dry up there and I’ve been filling drinkers and water butts over the piggeries, I’d said to someone last week that was going up, “ take 25lts over the piggeries and top the water up” did he do it ? Did he buggery, so I went over and both of them were bone dry, you can even see where the deer have been hoofing it trying to get a drink from it, I don’t know what is so hard to understand when I say water IS the most important thing?

C16D78A6-5F39-49D9-A477-7953C33084BF.jpeg

DEEA04A2-C4C7-48A9-AFE2-7915DB2AD97C.jpeg

B0832A25-AAFC-4C51-8C46-54EAF334D65A.jpeg

8E84AE87-3694-4802-B61F-8AD6655D49AF.jpeg

DDDD86F1-202C-47A4-BA37-1DC2232EC114.jpeg

8533759D-21F5-4217-856C-C05229A28F30.jpeg

4B4ADAF5-2451-4ACF-B4CE-CD7CDC07965C.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

1 hour ago, FOXHUNTER said:

I did but he seemed to think 7 months wasnt bad ??

Shocking service that, I know someone who has just renewed down here and they did it well within the time and didn’t even get a visit, the FEO just rang him to ask if anything had changed, when he said no and that everything was the same his tickets were with him 48 hours later 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Stavross said:

Shocking service that, I know someone who has just renewed down here and they did it well within the time and didn’t even get a visit, the FEO just rang him to ask if anything had changed, when he said no and that everything was the same his tickets were with him 48 hours later 

He explained that 6 women work in the office and 3 of them went off on maternity leave at the same time. They are now due back so the backlog should decrease. 

Just now, FOXHUNTER said:

He explained that 6 women work in the office and 3 of them went off on maternity leave at the same time. They are now due back so the backlog should decrease. 

? bloody lockdown, there firing kids out left right and centre, ?

• Haha 2

Had a look out last night in search of? not realising it was a full moon , but it was still surprisingly dark as the moon stayed low.

Full circuit of the farm and seeing nothing so final call was next to my car where there is some rough ground with a stream and gorse.

Started with rabbit call which produced nothing so switched to cub call and had a fox on top of the banking which I couldnt see as it kept disappearing. 

Changed back to rabbit call and coaxed it down the bank. It came to around 50 yds but for some reason I was hypnotised to it and didn't shoot ? it turned and ran off so I hollered stopping it at 100 yds and dropped it with a 100 grainer through the shoulder. 

Talk about making things harder for yourself ??

20220808_233015.jpg

• Like 3

The close ones are the ones I seem to feck up .Much rather they stayed out there a bit .Out last night at farmers request ,he’s a needy fecker tbh .

Saw 3 but no shot .Cattle ,sheep any excuse not to shoot tbh ?

Out tonight on the rats with airgun .Can’t decide if it’s fac or not though .

Im a bit cosy on the airgun forum so might be fac at 15 m .Challenging shooting ,for a one eyed dwarf with a twitch .

• Haha 2

Been out a fair bit lately but haven’t been taking my phone, tonight I did and it was a trip out with longshanx up to his place on the lookout for a buck, we got to a small spinney that he knows holds a nice group of roe, we thought we knew where they would come out but as we made our way there one of the farm hands turned up to gather bails, within a few minutes a couple of doe’s came out on the side of the wood and were followed by a buck, sadly this fella was over 300 yards away and didn’t hang about, running back into the cover and pushing another doe out, we gave it until last light but the buck never showed again, we did have a couple of doe’s come within a few feet of us and had no idea we were there, we’ll probably give it another go tomorrow night as we are both hungry and tight northerners ? on the way back to the farm we came across a large fox sat on a track about 100 yards from us, sadly no foxes are to be shot on here ☹️

0000CB90-7355-4C54-AEF1-43DD4BDF82CD.jpeg

FA8FC40F-E2F4-4EB7-AC80-AD2632391A4A.jpeg

B4ED53D8-631D-4BAF-B959-0200466E7FB3.jpeg

41D96E77-83D3-41B9-ABE2-1B8200FA5793.jpeg

Edited by Stavross
  • Like 5
17 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Should have the deer magnet with you ???????

It’s crazy how many deer are on his land, we were out maybe a couple of hours just on one spot maybe about 40 acres or so and although we only seen one buck we could of shot easily half a dozen doe’s, they were literally walking past us no more than 15 foot away, we’re going back up tonight and maybe we’ll walk a bit more of the farm where we know there’s other deer, longshanx is the only person that shoots deer on there and only takes one when he wants one so there’s no pressure on them 

• Like 4