Back up at the shoot

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

42 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Oh dear , I would bin all that techy gear mate causes more grief than enough....would have probably had that fox if using lamp and not faffing about with thermal ????

I wouldn’t of got it with the lamp, as soon as it seen my pretty face it was off like a shot ?

• Haha 3

Another trip out tonight, when I got into the cut barley field it had just gone 9pm, my plan was to head down the bottom to try and call a fox from the grass field that often produces a fox, now this barley field has a large field of rape along side it which won’t be cut until next week, as I looked along it with the thermal I could see two heat sources, clearly two foxes sat in the rape, looking through the scope I couldn’t see them and knew this would be a waiting game, so I crept the hedge back and put the caller out, setting it away with hare distress it was a couple of minutes before one started to move along the edge of the rape, still only able to see it through the thermal I carried on with the hare call, changing the volume to try and coax one out. Another 15 minutes past before finally one came out of the edge of the rape and I could see it through the scope, just the head and a bit of bib, I could tell it was a cub by the way it was doing the cub head tilt thing, as I lined up on it I had one last look to it’s right and I could see the other one had come out the rape but could just see the top of its head, this one was an adult, not wanting to risk not getting ether I took the shot at the cub as I could see more of that one, head shot at around 110 yards, it’s mind was blown ? the adult turned and ran back through the rape, switching the caller to cub distress the adult returned but would not leave the cover of the rape as I could only see it with the thermal, hopefully I’ll get a go at that one once the rape is off, nothing else showed and as the rain started I called it a night, another example of just how good thermal is, I would never of seen them and wouldn’t of stopped where they were for a call, can I also recommend that you use ballistic tips for all your fox shooting, purely for dramatic effect, they don’t make them any deader than SP’s but they  do make more of a mess ?

640F8927-FBDB-45C4-94C9-26A649ACE7F9.jpeg

3E22ABF7-AC35-480B-A921-168B804B6F06.jpeg

Edited by Stavross
  • Like 8
2 hours ago, foxdropper said:

Really need to get on top of the foxes here .Been neglecting them in favour of deer watching lately .

It must of been a really good year for them, I’ve seen good numbers around here, seeing at least one every time I’ve gone out, ( not hitting them all ?) that’s not how it usually goes around here

I’ve just been talking to my mate down in Lincolnshire, he went out 3 times in the last week and shot 11, went out last night and shot 10 and there’s still hundreds of aches of wheat and rape to come off, I can’t wait for my annual pilgrimage down there in September, he’s promised me double figures ?

• Like 2

So I’ve started up at the shoot, first job was to get some water around the place, not sure I needed to bother because it was pouring down and I got soaked, anyway I filled the water butts over the piggeries and the drinkers around the pen near the farm, the bed and breakfast beast have arrived so getting the bike in and out is a bit of an arse on now, as soon as I went into the field they were over pushing against me ( tw*ts ) i’ve got some wildies over the piggeries, there’s a group together around the edge of the wheat, clearly 2 different ages, one group look between 4 and 6 weeks and the other group are a good way on, I’d of said easily a couple of months, between the two groups I would of guessed there was between a dozen and 14, the hen’s have done well to get them that far on up there, how many make it through the summer I have no idea but it’s really nice to see them up there,  my first thought when I seen them was they had walked across the cut rape from next doors pen, but then seen 2 different sizes, I still had a ride round to look at next doors pen, no birds in there yet ??

6EBE4709-589E-4413-B30C-8CE4299325EC.jpeg

AA287CC8-7A28-4717-B1A1-2A464F0292F6.jpeg

F94D6237-B501-4348-B029-644DEE82F000.jpeg

FE4B57CF-E981-444C-826D-3DE71B9468AE.jpeg

• Like 4

Personal best ????????

I shot the same barley stubble yesterday from 11am to 7pm and achieved my personal best ????

On arrival 2 stubbles were black with corvids so I elected to set up in my usual place . The shooting was very fast for the first 2 hours shooting 104 birds in 2 hours then it was more or less a steady stream the rest of the day apart from an interval of an hour when it chucked it down ???

I had 2 visits from the police due to the  interfering public ringing  in saying I was shooting deer all day ?????

Police were great actually and I continued shooting. 

At one point my barrels were that hot you couldn't touch them ......it was a fantastic day.

Loads of right and lefts and even 3 birds with 2 shots ?

Ended up on 257 birds ??????

20220724_200256.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
Just now, foxdropper said:

Wow mate ,that’s a target hard to beat again .?

Awesome mate , be hard pushed to beat it although would have been  more if didnt miss a few sitters but hard to be at your best for 8 hours but didn't do too bad ?

Great shooting that? Fair play to you for sitting it out for 8 hours, a couple of hours is enough for me with a shotgun, no matter how good the shooting is, I’ve just turned down an invite for pigeon shooting in Norfolk because he told me it would be 5/6 hours in a hide