Back up at the shoot

19 minutes ago, ianm said:

They cannot stand our damp weather indefinitely. I have found a way to get a bit longer out them is to create a cover for them out of a plastic milk jug. It protects them from the worse downpours and of course constant drizzle we get but eventually they do succumb. I have brought odd ones back to life by leaving them on a radiator for a few days but it isn't always successful. 

IMG_9770.JPG

I will try that on the replacement Ian ?.

I did dry it out last time it played up and it worked.

I pulled it apart and found a dried out bug on the circuitry. Just how the bug got in I have no idea. 

• Like 1

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

40 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

I will try that on the replacement Ian ?.

I did dry it out last time it played up and it worked.

I pulled it apart and found a dried out bug on the circuitry. Just how the bug got in I have no idea. 

On more than one occasion i have opened one of mine up to find it is full of earwigs, just how they get in i have no idea. However if earwigs can get in, dampness will have no problem.

• Like 3
42 minutes ago, ianm said:

On more than one occasion i have opened one of mine up to find it is full of earwigs, just how they get in i have no idea. However if earwigs can get in, dampness will have no problem.

+1 

• Like 1

A trip up to the shoot this afternoon for a quick feed and a leg stretch, when I got on the top I was greeted by 3” of snow, after a quick blast around on the bike with a bit of wheat for the birds and a few carrots for the deer I put the bike away, grabbed the .17 and went for a walk, shooting a couple of rabbits on the way, I had the whole place to myself which was lovely. Walking around the piggeries I came across 5 deer in different places, 3 of them were shootable so that was good to see, just as I was losing the light and heading towards the field at the back of the farm I looked along the bank side with the thermal where I seen the unmistakable heat signature of a fox, I made my way as quick as I could to the bottom of the field ( 10 minute walk ) thinking I know where it was likely to come out, when I got there I couldn’t see it but gave a few goes on the mouth caller, to my surprise the bugger went behind me, no more than 10 yards from me and off out of sight ☹️ Oh well, it was still a nice walk out

i wished I’d not walked around the pens, with this wind there’s some trees down and some damaged fencing, ☹️ More work 

602414C8-C588-4C22-8AAC-404A16B1A6F6.jpeg

E12BF559-E8E0-46DE-90A2-B995AC34CBB5.jpeg

52BCACFE-9684-475B-8653-9A116432477D.jpeg

E00D2CFD-694B-4995-8131-9953B6124AF8.jpeg

53B3C0AA-2DE0-4E16-A90B-2493EB069EF9.jpeg

9A737160-FC90-4637-9BA3-06922E48C70E.jpeg

• Like 7
1 hour ago, David.evans said:

I must be going daft stav I was bought up to believe carrots were for wabbits 

strange folk up north ??

Did you never put a carrot out for Rudolph, the fallow like them even more with a bit of bird puller on them 

• Like 2
Just now, FOXHUNTER said:

Very scenic mate , pity I wasn't there would have been nice getting a fallow in the snow ❄. Shame about the fox ?

I thought it was going to be wet and windy, so I thought I’d just have a walk around for a bit, I couldn’t believe it when I got on the top, if it had of been just up the road from me, I would of gone back for the .243, it’s a different day today, wind and rain ☹️

Seeing as there was a break in the weather last night I decided to pop out to a smallholding where the guy keeps a few hens , I havent been since Covid erupted so a good 2 years. The weather was very still and light and proved unfruitful with nothing seen.  With the night still young I then went to a nearby farm. Got set up in my favourite field and started playing various calls with no joy , after about half an hour I switched to chicken in distress and had a fox appear immediately.  The fox dropped over a banking out of sight but reappeared directly in front of me at 120 yds. A nice vixen who wasnt pregnant. 

20220219_213149.jpg

• Like 7