Back up at the shoot

Well that’s it, over and done with, not a big day but a good day to finish the season with, today I had Fellman Mark off here as my guest so I hoped the wind would get behind a few and make there way over him

We arrived a bit early after checking the weather and knowing what birds would be there would be out and about, so we walked a few back into the drives

drive number 1 was Gordon’s pen,  not massive numbers but what did come out was very fast once the wind was behind it, a few of the guns got to shoot at some very nice birds on this one. Drive number 2 was the ruff next to Gordon’s pen, again a few fast pheasants and a fair few woodcock out of here, back to the farm now for elevenses, 3 different types of pie, cakes, sloe gin and Prosecco and dog biscuits for longshanx?, now drive number 3 and just a filler, a small patch opposite the farm, a couple of really high birds came out of here and again a few woodcock. To finish the morning off drive number 4 we did the back side of the forestry huts, very little came from here, just a few woodcock 

Lunch

drive number 5, piggeries, tree side, not loads but more than was expected, the wind was really getting up by now and one bird broke cover and cut right across the trees towards longshanx as the bird reached the edge of the trees and he raised his gun to it, a gust of wind bent a tree which smacked the pheasant out the sky in front of him, the pheasant hit the floor and took off running ? drive number 6, piggeries, ruff side, this took quite a while to get going but some good birds came from here right along the line, off now for another little filler, drive number 7, roadside, we never shoot this after early December and after only pushing 3 birds from it you can see why. Now to finish the day off, drive number 8 forestry pen, with it been 3:30 and the sun getting low in the sky, what birds were about were heading back around the pen, right from the start birds were getting up here, some low, some not so low, a good drive to finish the day and the season  with, it was nice to be able to put a few over Fellman Mark with it been the last day and his first time up here. All in all I’m very pleased with how the season has gone and I’m looking forward to a bit of a rest now before the madness starts again

we finished the day on 22 pheasants 2 woodcock and 3 squirrels picked, with about another 8 birds not found  

once we’d finished a select few went back for some private dining at a very posh pub, just as a little thank you to ourselves, a lovely way to finish the off 

B8FFBBE0-AC66-4317-A7B0-3284942C551E.jpeg

AF167C05-C045-462E-BBC1-FA4429506578.jpeg

B74691D4-1B55-4C82-ACCC-423D3EB184B9.jpeg

4E13D1AB-75F7-459C-BFA4-4678DD3FDAC0.jpeg

5205CC79-37AF-420B-A8A7-A4C3EA05B716.jpeg

Edited by Stavross
  • Like 10

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

Despite the fairly gusty conditions (I know it was nothing compared to you lot up there) I was itching to get out last night (even I have my limits on on time spent looking at sheep fanny). 

Fairly early on saw one in thermal working hedge about 180yds to my left but wind was being a bugger swirling around me and blowing down to him. He disappeared into hedge but hadn't seem that spooked. I took a slow walk towards where he'd been (needed to go that way anyway for the gate). No sign. Just before opening gate had a scan behind me and he was back in field with me, 250yds back up to my left again (I'd turned around, do keep up). I knew of a run nearby where he was & suspect where he would pop out. I made like Usain & I got into prone and used mouth caller. Right enough he came out of hedge right in front of me. He came trotting in like a good 'un. Had to give a shout at 50yds and 32grns dropped him on spot. 

Carried on up towards to our woodland & in final field before woods heard a vixen. Love that noise!! Snuck in against hedge and scan, spot her sitting there. Get rifle up, check in thermal...gone!! Ffs. Waited a bit. Nothing. Made my way along hedge scanning. Spotted her behind me at one point, then gone again. To cut long story short she played me a good one, spotting her 3 times but then vanishing between trees or seemingly into thin air - its love Mrs slinky! 

12274462_10208309204513094_1422848551988555614_n.jpg

20220129_214724.jpg

• Like 9
  • Haha 1
22 minutes ago, BenBhoy said:

Despite the fairly gusty conditions (I know it was nothing compared to you lot up there) I was itching to get out last night (even I have my limits on on time spent looking at sheep fanny). 

Fairly early on saw one in thermal working hedge about 180yds to my left but wind was being a bugger swirling around me and blowing down to him. He disappeared into hedge but hadn't seem that spooked. I took a slow walk towards where he'd been (needed to go that way anyway for the gate). No sign. Just before opening gate had a scan behind me and he was back in field with me, 250yds back up to my left again (I'd turned around, do keep up). I knew of a run nearby where he was & suspect where he would pop out. I made like Usain & I got into prone and used mouth caller. Right enough he came out of hedge right in front of me. He came trotting in like a good 'un. Had to give a shout at 50yds and 32grns dropped him on spot. 

Carried on up towards to our woodland & in final field before woods heard a vixen. Love that noise!! Snuck in against hedge and scan, spot her sitting there. Get rifle up, check in thermal...gone!! Ffs. Waited a bit. Nothing. Made my way along hedge scanning. Spotted her behind me at one point, then gone again. To cut long story short she played me a good one, spotting her 3 times but then vanishing between trees or seemingly into thin air - its love Mrs slinky! 

12274462_10208309204513094_1422848551988555614_n.jpg

20220129_214724.jpg

You have a slinky. She will haunt you day and night Ben!

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

You have a slinky. She will haunt you day and night Ben!

Yeah. It was pretty much same spot I missed one couple weeks back when I was fuckíng about with them quad sticks, I reckon it must be her. Fingers crossed that was her boyfriend I dropped though. 

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

Good news!

I found my fox. Looks like it went to ground. I walked past the badger earth yesterday. I think they must of kicked it out!

My dog Jess was a big help this morning so pleased about that.

20220130_082512.jpg.8790dad23916aa37012b8d22ac5b7502.jpg

Glad you found it , you can sleep sound at night now ?

• Thanks 1
36 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Another season over Stav , you can have a well deserved rest now. Do you keep feeding until the Spring?  That was a canny last day seeing as the wind was shocking .

I have a few bags of wheat left at the farm so I’ll feed a couple of places until that’s gone ( probably until the beginning of spring) I’ll feed away from the pens because they are a mess with pheasant sh*t so I’ll let the weather take care of that until I spray them off later in the year 

for the last day of the season and not having loads left I was really pleased with the way it went ?

• Like 2

Well my grandson did ok with the little 20 bore. He shot 2 mallard and 3 pheasants and i know he hit another 2 pheasants but they kept going. I put that down to range and number sixes. He can use them up on pigeons and i will get the usual fives for him. Total bag was 39 head so he held his own with an unfamiliar gun, he can only get better with it.

• Like 6

It’s getting a bit wild out, now

they were asking me last night in the pub when I was sorting a squizzer day up at the shoot, they were asking about next Saturday, but I really would like a Saturday off from it all, so I might do the one after next 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Seeing as its the end of the pheasant season I went for the last wander in pursuit . Managed to find a few and saw around a dozen squirrels today. Lambs in the fields was a beautiful sight , roll on Spring.

DSC00186.JPG

DSC00185.JPG

With a proper gun, not one of them topsy-turvy barrelled things I hope?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1