Back up at the shoot

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

Have fun.

Joke for you to tell....

My Mrs found out that our dog could hardly hear, so she took it to the veterinarian. The vet found that the problem was hair in the dog's ears. He cleaned both ears, and the dog could then hear fine. The vet then proceeded to tell the Mrs that, if she wanted to keep this from recurring, she should go to the store and get some hair remover and rub it in the dog's ears once a month.
Mrs went to the store and bought some hair remover.
At the register, the pharmacist told her, "If you're going to use this under your arms, don't use deodorant for a few days."
Mrs said, "I'm not using it under my arms."
The pharmacist said, "If you're using it on your legs, don't use body lotion for a couple of days."
Mrs replied, "I'm not using it on my legs either. If you must know, I'm using it on my Schnauzer."
The pharmacist said, "Well, stay off your bicycle for at least a week."

• Haha 3

Well I went out today to try for a snipe as haven't shot 1 this season . I lifted 5 from a rushy field the other night whilst lamping so headed there. Unfortunately there was horses in the field so after detouring round them I started walking the boggy bits , I only lifted 1 and missed it as too busy watching out where the horses were ? I then went to another farm with Bert in search of pheasants. Lifted a couple of mallard off the pond and folded one . Shot a few pheasants then headed into a boggy patch inside a wood and lifted a woodcock sat tight and duly folded it. A nice wander about with Bert and finished with a nice mixed bag.

20220115_141646.jpg

• Like 10

By kind invitation I got to shoot up near Nottingham today .

Vert difficult due to freezing fog all day but 4 guns and only a couple of beaters .

We managed 3x ducks ,2x woodcock and 6 pheasants. 

A grand little day out ,met some nice friendly people. 

Hope you all had a good 1 too.

20220115_175104.jpg

• Like 6

Day number 6 and a bit of a stinker, fog is bad enough for pheasant shooting but freezing fog is a nightmare, we are getting a little low on birds now in many of the drives as the season moves on and some lose cover and others become wet and cold. Up to this point they have shot well over a third of what we put down, another two 25 bird days and they will be on the way to shooting half of what was put down, so they’ve had some good shooting. We made the day up mainly with drives that we thought there may be a few in with the weather we had, first was Gordon’s pen, there was a few came from here but mainly from the top rather than back of the pen as I would expect, not so much over Ben on this one, next off was the ruff patch next to Gordon’s pen that we use to hold the birds early in the season, again we had a few from here with the majority going back towards the pen, so the two back guns got so decent pheasants and a few fast woodcock, back to the shed now for elevenses, the animals made their way through my soup, corn beef and potato pie, a bottle of bramble gin, 2 bottles of Prosecco, half a bottle of port and 2 tray of cakes, next off before lunch was another ruff drive that we don’t normally bother with, we pushed a few pheasants out towards the guns stud in the gutter in front of us, once we reached the guns we waited while they were relined out before we pushed on through towards the farm, Ben got to open his account on this drive taking himself a hen

Lunch

after lunch and with the bag looking a bit light it was time to do something about it so off to the piggeries ( tree side ) so far this season this drive hasn’t disappointed and it didn’t let us down today, once we are 30/40 yards into the drive the birds stop running and start flying, everyone got shooting here and them that were out in the field got some nice high fast birds over them ( the may not of hit them but at least they made some noise ?) after this drive the bag was more than doubled, now off to the other end of the piggeries ( ruff side ) some more added to the bag and a few more missed ( Ben ? ) a walk now to forestry pen again a few came out here, mainly to the left of the pen, to finish the day off we pushed the 2 blocks out behind the forestry building, a few pheasants and half a dozen woodcock came from here, over the day we pushed out about 20 woodcock and not 1 was downed, the final bird of the day was a cracking hen dropped by the youngest gun on the shoot, Jack, nice to finish on a high

the bag for the day was 25 pheasants picked and we think about 6 not picked, so not to bad for this time of year and with the weather we had, the guns worked hard for what they got today, I hope Ben enjoyed himself despite the less than favourable weather, I’m pleased he got to take a few with his 16 bore and thank you for the bottle of fine Welsh whiskey ? ??

7ECA5C1D-131E-44F1-B43C-358634B0FDD1.jpeg

11598D01-05EC-4792-9915-BDAD4626F1DD.jpeg

526D1198-A65F-42CD-8C05-1EDCA0F640D8.jpeg

7B028AC7-729A-469B-B066-44C222B238D6.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
54 minutes ago, Stavross said:

Day number 6 and a bit of a stinker, fog is bad enough for pheasant shooting but freezing fog is a nightmare, we are getting a little low on birds now in many of the drives as the season moves on and some lose cover and others become wet and cold. Up to this point they have shot well over a third of what we put down, another two 25 bird days and they will be on the way to shooting half of what was put down, so they’ve had some good shooting. We made the day up mainly with drives that we thought there may be a few in with the weather we had, first was Gordon’s pen, there was a few came from here but mainly from the top rather than back of the pen as I would expect, not so much over Ben on this one, next off was the ruff patch next to Gordon’s pen that we use to hold the birds early in the season, again we had a few from here with the majority going back towards the pen, so the two back guns got so decent pheasants and a few fast woodcock, back to the shed now for elevenses, the animals made their way through my soup, corn beef and potato pie, a bottle of bramble gin, 2 bottles of Prosecco, half a bottle of port and 2 tray of cakes, next off before lunch was another ruff drive that we don’t normally bother with, we pushed a few pheasants out towards the guns stud in the gutter in front of us, once we reached the guns we waited while they were relined out before we pushed on through towards the farm, Ben got to open his account on this drive taking himself a hen

Lunch

after lunch and with the bag looking a bit light it was time to do something about it so off to the piggeries ( tree side ) so far this season this drive hasn’t disappointed and it didn’t let us down today, once we are 30/40 yards into the drive the birds stop running and start flying, everyone got shooting here and them that were out in the field got some nice high fast birds over them ( the may not of hit them but at least they made some noise ?) after this drive the bag was more than doubled, now off to the other end of the piggeries ( ruff side ) some more added to the bag and a few more missed ( Ben ? ) a walk now to forestry pen again a few came out here, mainly to the left of the pen, to finish the day off we pushed the 2 blocks out behind the forestry building, a few pheasants and half a dozen woodcock came from here, over the day we pushed out about 20 woodcock and not 1 was downed, the final bird of the day was a cracking hen dropped by the youngest gun on the shoot, Jack, nice to finish on a high

the bag for the day was 25 pheasants picked and we think about 6 not picked, so not to bad for this time of year and with the weather we had, the guns worked hard for what they got today, I hope Ben enjoyed himself despite the less than favourable weather, I’m pleased he got to take a few with his 16 bore and thank you for the bottle of fine Welsh whiskey ? ??

7ECA5C1D-131E-44F1-B43C-358634B0FDD1.jpeg

11598D01-05EC-4792-9915-BDAD4626F1DD.jpeg

526D1198-A65F-42CD-8C05-1EDCA0F640D8.jpeg

7B028AC7-729A-469B-B066-44C222B238D6.jpeg

Top write up mate, summed the day up perfectly. This season is going fantastic. You've done some top work and it has not gone unrecognised.

Was great to me up with Ben, what a top lad. Lived up to his whitty banter on here. By they way Ben its a double trigger?

Another brilliant day ☺

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
5 hours ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Well I went out today to try for a snipe as haven't shot 1 this season . I lifted 5 from a rushy field the other night whilst lamping so headed there. Unfortunately there was horses in the field so after detouring round them I started walking the boggy bits , I only lifted 1 and missed it as too busy watching out where the horses were ? I then went to another farm with Bert in search of pheasants. Lifted a couple of mallard off the pond and folded one . Shot a few pheasants then headed into a boggy patch inside a wood and lifted a woodcock sat tight and duly folded it. A nice wander about with Bert and finished with a nice mixed bag.

20220115_141646.jpg

That’s a proper walk out that, great way to spend a day ?we bumped a few deer today, I went out to put a bit of feed out first thing this morning and there was 5 roe around the forestry pen and 2 fallow doe’s over the piggeries, when we pushed the tree side through one of the fallow almost flattened one of the beaters 

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Stavross said:

That’s a proper walk out that, great way to spend a day ?we bumped a few deer today, I went out to put a bit of feed out first thing this morning and there was 5 roe around the forestry pen and 2 fallow doe’s over the piggeries, when we pushed the tree side through one of the fallow almost flattened one of the beaters 

Nice to know , we will get out soon and see if we can get a result ?

Well it's true what they say about up north being grim!! Jeezus wept!! But it's also true about Northern hospitality (not actually sure if that is a saying!) An absolute massive thank you to Mr. Stavross for the invite, the welcome this morning & all the hard work he's put in to show some cracking birds. 

Like he's said the weather was naff, but that didn't dampen the chat & the laughs. Good crowd, good food (im told it tasted good....was told several times actually!) 

My little 16 did its bit, certainly didn't feel undergunned & no real recoil from the 26grams. I dropped couple of good ones & missed some absolute dollys - çest la vie. 

Was brilliant meeting longshanx, had a proper laugh with you mate. Though 6'5" made me feel bit inadequate! Really enjoyed meeting Mosh, another really welcoming funny bloke, shared some sheep stories. 

2 hours ago, Longshanx said:

By they way Ben its a double trigger?

Haha ? yeah note to self!! Bang...click... "bollocks"! 

3 hours ago, Stavross said:

I hope Ben enjoyed himself

A thoroughly enjoyable day, I had a brilliant day. Thanks again mate, and I mean that, you're a mate. Cheers. Enjoy the proper whisky! 

Edited by BenBhoy
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1