BASC news release

BASC Head Office, Marford Mill, Rossett, Wrexham, LL12 0HL
Tel: 01244 573 000 | email

Updated advice on shooting
activities in England

BASC has updated its advice for shooting, work on shoots and pest control in England – but not in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland – following the government's latest changes to the regulations for fighting Covid-19.

This advice has been formed after discussions with the government and has been submitted to Defra for confirmation.

In line with the Prime Minister’s statement, from Wednesday 13 May, deer stalking, pest control, conservation and seasonal work on game shoots are possible so long as they meet the following requirements:

• You may carry out these activities with those from your household group and/or one person who is not from your household group.

• You may travel any distance in England with people from your household group to engage in these activities but the person who is not from your household group may not travel in the same vehicle as you do.

• You must observe the rules on social distancing at all times.

• You must have the permission of the landowner before engaging in any shooting or shooting-related work on their land.

• Any pest control must conform to the law and the general licences.

• Deer management must be conducted according to the law. Roebucks are currently in season and muntjac may be managed at any time of the year.

• Before shooting any quarry species you should consider how the meat will be put into the food chain.

There have been issues with different police forces interpreting the government's rules in different ways. If in any doubt about how your local police will react, you should contact the police before shooting, inform them that you are planning your activities within the current regulations and obtain the reference number for the call. You should also carry your certificate with you in case you are challenged by the police.

© 2020 BASC - British Association for Shooting and Conservation
Registered Office: Marford Mill, Rossett, Wrexham, LL12 0HL
Registered Society No: 28488R

• Like 3

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’ve been a hopeless addict for years . I’ve wasted tens of thousands of cartridges and spent my children’s inheritance, I pushed my wife’s patience to the limit and I never win anything.  

I taken no notice of any of this jibba jabba from day one. Met no one and didn't wave a flag around either. I used common sense and discretion.

Sorry guys but I love clay shooting. I would be really p1ssed off if I was not able to go and smash the little black or orange or white or green, did I say black anyway those discs that turn into dust

Posted Images

In a there very latest email BASC say that there are several forces that wont allow shooting I have emailed them asking for this information. has anyone been not allowed to go shooting (general pest control and inline with the terms of the general licences) and if so which forces have refused this to happen.

I'm out Saturday evening. Im not going to bother my force. I will be travelling 4 miles, on my own and being alone all night before driving straight back home. Going by the gov guidelines (irrespective of shooting) I believe I'll be operating within the law. 

• Like 1

I’m out now, sat on the side of a hill on a sheep farm waiting for fantastic mr fox, drove here on my own and I’m following what Boris said, BASC’s advice is follow what the government said and don’t come crying to us if the law gets stroppy with you, ?BASC 

CD7369F3-C489-4DB5-B12D-4DCB8C28A390.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
2 hours ago, goldfinger said:

In a there very latest email BASC say that there are several forces that wont allow shooting I have emailed them asking for this information. has anyone been not allowed to go shooting (general pest control and inline with the terms of the general licences) and if so which forces have refused this to happen.

Can they actually stop you if you obey the law and social distancing? They could cause you issues if they decided to take action but ulitmately would it stand up? Guess it depends on whether you have the means to challenge them if seized or revoked. It's another illustration though as to why guidelines are useless. Every force simply makes their own rules. I'd like to see cast iron laws on licensing and huge penalties for forces that break them. That way both sides have to respect the law. I'd also like to see on the Licensee side, the jail provisions removed for most offences and replaced with a threat of revocation. After all, most breaches are innocent mistakes and someone doesn't deserve 5 yrs prison for an innocent mistake eg leaving a round fallen from a magazine in a jacket or bag. etc. The biggest threat to any shooter is revocation and a warning system with revocation threat is likely far more effective and proportionate for most instances. Just my 2 cents.

It was on the tv tonight during the covid19 presentation that the police cannot enforce distancing which is not what has been happening and they should be allowed to enforce it in my humble opinion.

I phone the police to advise them I am out vermin shooting and phone again when I get back, no problem at all. I was given this method only a couple of weeks ago and have used it 5 times now, no effort and have logged in several perms on the same night, it is very simple.  I have found so far that the police are very friendly and quite helpful with any queries I may have.

I printed out the BASC email just as a general info point for you guys.  I doubt that I will stay in BASC on my next renewal.

Phil

1 hour ago, philpot said:

I phone the police to advise them I am out vermin shooting and phone again when I get back, no problem at all. I was given this method only a couple of weeks ago and have used it 5 times now, no effort and have logged in several perms on the same night, it is very simple.  I have found so far that the police are very friendly and quite helpful with any queries I may have.

I doubt that I will stay in BASC on my next renewal.

Phil

ok as an idea BUT. one minor problem.  Kent police don't answer the phone.  I tried the other day and after half an hour of going through multiple deviations ......  Mainly either bugger off or go online frequently asked questions...( And this is just to get through to the switchboard). a rather aloof sort of woman told me that they don't give out the firearms dept extension number.  I asked to be put through to them and the line rang until there was a message that the mailbox was full.!!!  Just as it was a couple of years ago.  They just take you money and submerge.  just like basic.  plod is not fit for purpose.

Edited by Meece
  • Like 2

Why though?? I saw load of folk playing tennis at our village club yesterday; had any of them called 101 first beforepicking up their racquet?? Or the ramblers? Or boaters on the trent?? So why do we have to when there far less chance of us seeing anyone at all! 

From Wednesday 13 May people in England are permitted to take part in unlimited exercise, restart open-air sporting activities and meet one person from another household while abiding by social-distancing rules and staying outside.

Simple. 

• Like 3

I've been shooting as I normally do , a simple text msg to the firearms dept, requesting my log number , telling them where I'm going & approx times ! Even during  this coronavirus crap, Northumbria Police have been spot on with me, no problems at all !

You phone 101 and ask for the control room who will take your details and where you are going. It is simple and save any problems that may occur. Once we are all back to the new normal, I won't be doing this but in all honesty, I don't really mind if it helps when some anti reports that there is a bloke with a gun, it saves sending out other police officers when they could be better placed elsewhere.

Not everyone's take on it but it keeps me on the right side and I will continue until I no longer need to do it.

Phil