BASC news release

My Latest response from BASC, I ask them to tell me the forces that were not allowing shooting..

It’s not that police forces won’t allow shooting – it’s that they are issuing their own advice on this which they really ought not to be doing and we are working to resolve this at various levels.

Examples of forces advising against most forms of shooting include Thames Valley Police, Cumbria, Notts and Essex but it’s a rapidly evolving situation – for example North Yorkshire has revised its position from advising against shooting to referring people to BASC advice.

A pdf copy of BASC’s advice on going shooting in England is attached.

The latest DCMS advice on sport and recreation is here:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-guidance-on-phased-return-of-sport-and-recreation/guidance-for-the-public-on-the-phased-return-of-outdoor-sport-and-recreation

You may also be interested in the latest advice to the police (they are not asked to enforce anything in relation to shooting) here:
https://www.college.police.uk/What-we-do/COVID-19/understanding-the-law/Documents/Health-Protection-Regulations-Amendments-England-changes-130520.pdf

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’ve been a hopeless addict for years . I’ve wasted tens of thousands of cartridges and spent my children’s inheritance, I pushed my wife’s patience to the limit and I never win anything.  

I taken no notice of any of this jibba jabba from day one. Met no one and didn't wave a flag around either. I used common sense and discretion.

Sorry guys but I love clay shooting. I would be really p1ssed off if I was not able to go and smash the little black or orange or white or green, did I say black anyway those discs that turn into dust

Posted Images

The point here is that despite some of you going out shooting during the lockdown, we were told to stay at home, do not drive to take excercise, so many of us did. I was advised by my area police that if I were a full time pest / vermin controller going about my everyday work, no problem    BUT   we are not people earning our living by being a pest controller and we shouldn't be driving anywhere other than for essentials, food etc. THAT WAS THE RULE simple.

The fact that you decided to go and drive, shoot etc is your own decision but it is not what we were asked to do and now some of the rules have changed rightly or wrongly, they have changed not that I think it is a wise decision but there it is.

I do think that there are exceptions which have to be taken into account in vermin control with foxes after lambs etc and this is why the whole premise of logging in with the police in order to carry out vermin control is there as well as making them aware that you are not some terrorist.

I have now phoned the police 101 number 7 times and not one of those calls took longer than a few minutes.

It is down to what you think is right for you and go with it. I am not making a stand here for police involvement guys, just saying how easy it is to keep everyone happy after all I have to contact 4 or 5 of my perm farmers / land owners to advise I / we will be out on their land, sometimes a pain but generally it is no bother. Some things in life may change for the worse but if they do and it is the only way to continue then so be it.  The subject of having a license for airguns has been  brought up and what an outrage it would be, well it doesn't bother me one bit as we have to have a licence for our other guns, one more is not a big issue to me. There has been various discussions over sea anglers having to buy a fishing licence which is met with all kinds of abuse BUT I and thousands of others buy freshwater fishing licences so if it comes about that I will have to have a licence to fish in the sea, I will simply go an buy one.

Things / rules change as they have done with shooting over the years over semi auto shotguns and pistols etc, it is just part of our lives so is phoning 101 such an issue, well okay if it is for you and you are not prepared to do it, thats fine but I will continue for the time being or if it does become the law, unlikely as it is, we will all do it.........perhaps. ?

My coffee is getting cold and I am waffling on, it's an age thing you know...........

Phil

Today

National police chief gives clear guidance on shooting under Covid-19 restrictions

Deputy Chief Constable Dave Orford, the national lead on firearms licensing, has provided clarity on shooting in England under the current Covid-19 guidance following concerns raised by BASC, other shooting organisations and police forces.

DCC Orford says he has clarified the position with government and he will give clear instructions to individual constabularies that shooting can take place under the current regulations as long as social distancing guidelines are adhered to.

He said: “When considering outdoor shooting, police should view it in the same way they would for golf and fishing.”

“My guidance to forces is clear; any facilities associated with outdoor sports and physical activities, including shooting ranges, can now reopen, if those responsible for them feel ready to do so and if they can do so safely, and in line with related public health guidance. My advice extends to outdoor pest control and deer management, on the proviso that they are doing so in line with guidance and within the law.

“I’m really grateful to the shooting community for their support and forbearance through these times. I would ask that do their utmost to follow the coronavirus guidelines on activities and the management of locations.”

Dr Conor O’Gorman, head of campaigns and policy at BASC, said: “This advice sets out a clear marker for police forces to follow and it should clarify some of the confusion that has been evident in the last week or so. Shooting is back open for business as long as people follow the sensible social distancing guidelines laid down by government.”

Edited by goldfinger
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

I’m going clay shooting on Sunday . The ground near me is reopening, but is giving you a time slot to start , you miss it ....tough . You go around in pairs or on your own and keep your distance .

CLAYS...CLAYS I would  rather stay in and stick pins in my eyes. ?

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1
2 hours ago, ianm said:

CLAYS...CLAYS I would  rather stay in and stick pins in my eyes. ?

I’ve been a hopeless addict for years . I’ve wasted tens of thousands of cartridges and spent my children’s inheritance, I pushed my wife’s patience to the limit and I never win anything.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

I quite like a go at the clays but I can't get through a whole box in one go.  The barrels get so blooming hot that I can't hold them without getting burnt.!!

So what's basic doing about plod demanding doctors letters that the applicant has to pay for.  This means something like a £30 hike in application fees overnight. All you get is latest news. Which is nothing for your subscription fee.

Sorry guys but I love clay shooting. I would be really p1ssed off if I was not able to go and smash the little black or orange or white or green, did I say black anyway those discs that turn into dust when you do it right.  It has lined my pockets in comps then emptied them again when I have shot like a twat.

LOVE IT

Phil

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
10 hours ago, philpot said:

Sorry guys but I love clay shooting. I would be really p1ssed off if I was not able to go and smash the little black or orange or white or green, did I say black anyway those discs that turn into dust when you do it right.  It has lined my pockets in comps then emptied them again when I have shot like a twat.

LOVE IT

Phil

Which is fair enough, i on the other hand hate to shoot at clays. I find it as boring as golf or horse racing, in fact if the only use i had for a shotgun was shooting clays i wouldn't keep a gun.

Edited by ianm
19 minutes ago, ianm said:

Which is fair enough, i on the other hand hate to shoot at clays. I find it as boring as golf or horse racing, in fact if the only use i had for a shotgun was shooting clays i wouldn't keep a gun.

Yes each to our own Ian, must admit I always thought what a waste of a bloody good cartridge until I had a go and for many years I ran a club and shot in local and national competitions all over the uk but as you say, it is not everyones cup of tea and that I fully understand.  Only wish I could still afford to shoot in competitions but the pension doesn't really allow for that, more is the pity.

Phil

On 22/05/2020 at 07:46, shovel leaner said:

I’m going clay shooting on Sunday . The ground near me is reopening, but is giving you a time slot to start , you miss it ....tough . You go around in pairs or on your own and keep your distance . 

which ground if you do not mind me asking ?