What to get?

I'm thinking of after this lock down, getting a variation for another rifle.  I have got a .22lr and a .223.  It will be mostly used for rabbits and that sort of thing.  I know I already have a .22lr which is fine for rabbits, but I can't put a scope or a mod on it so I mainly use it for free hand target shooting and general plinking.

Not sure if I should go for a .17hmr or .22wmr or something similar.

What do you lot think?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My last hornet. A BSA. 1958.

It is Anschutz man ffs. If you are going to recommend a make to someone at least spell it correctly. Schultz is what you put under a car to stop it rusting, or to hide the fact that it alrea

I’d go 300 Win mag, but we have some bloody big rabbits up here ?

Posted Images

There's a cartridge everyone seems to have forgotten about that you might consider.  It's the 17 mach 2.  I believe it's a .22 LR necked down to .17.    17 grain projectile at about 2100 fps.  I wanted a rifle chambered in it "just to be different".   I had a break-action single shot chambered in it for shooting squirrels and it's been OK in that role.  It has NOT, however had the most stellar accuracy.  It groups about 2MOA at 50 yards.  The gunsmith is telling me he has not achieved the same accuracy possible with the .17 HMR.  When I had the barrel built I wanted to be able to shoot squirrels at 100 yards and that has not panned out but it's OK out to 40. 

17 M2.jpg

On 22/04/2020 at 21:15, walshie said:

Cue Alsone.........

As if by magic......

( A day late, had trouble with the flying carpet at customs due to Corona).

I'm just going to say it depends on what you want it to do. If you need more range, or have big mice, consider the HMR. If it's just the fact you can't fit a scope but the gun otherwise does everything you want of it, buy another .22lr, eg CZ or Anshultz with a mod and some subs. 

Edited by Alsone
  • Haha 3
On 22/04/2020 at 18:46, lllluke1 said:

I'm thinking of after this lock down, getting a variation for another rifle.  I have got a .22lr and a .223.  It will be mostly used for rabbits and that sort of thing.  I know I already have a .22lr which is fine for rabbits, but I can't put a scope or a mod on it so I mainly use it for free hand target shooting and general plinking.

Not sure if I should go for a .17hmr or .22wmr or something similar.

What do you lot think?

If you want it mainly for bunnies, I'd get another 22lr. If you want it for bunnies and foxes I'd go for a WMR for a bit of extra range. My "mid-gun" between my 22lr and my 223 is a 22 hornet. 

8 hours ago, Anarchist Outdoors said:

There's a cartridge everyone seems to have forgotten about that you might consider.  It's the 17 mach 2.  I believe it's a .22 LR necked down to .17.    17 grain projectile at about 2100 fps.  I wanted a rifle chambered in it "just to be different".   I had a break-action single shot chambered in it for shooting squirrels and it's been OK in that role.  It has NOT, however had the most stellar accuracy.  It groups about 2MOA at 50 yards.  The gunsmith is telling me he has not achieved the same accuracy possible with the .17 HMR.  When I had the barrel built I wanted to be able to shoot squirrels at 100 yards and that has not panned out but it's OK out to 40. 

17 M2.jpg

You have very clean hands.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

What I'm thinking is we have a good SW wind here quite alot of the time.  Is the .22wmr less affected by the wind compared to the .17hmr?  Or are they both about the same?  Got to wait for this lockdown to be over, so got plenty of time to think about it.

• Like 1