Well wilf thats  pretty much how i run mine now,has sort of been a ,while only do jobs from recomendation,or locals if i dont like the look of them im out.got one lad with me who dont drink,drugs,gamble,nothing,saves his money.he collects money for me on his way home if enroute.totally trust worthy.

• Like 1

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And theres your problem....if you would help anyone in business then dont expect to be in business for very long. If im letting someone into my life or my business i want to know i can trust them

I know the feeling mate... Very few lads ever work for you that give a f**k about you, they say the right things to your face cause you pay the wages...but 99% will go wherever the money is...or

Maybe I should of worked for you then? ? I’m not disputing any of that mate & I’m not saying any of what’s gone on for the op is acceptable, it’s just the loyalty thing has never been a big thing

4 minutes ago, Qbgrey said:

Well wilf thats  pretty much how i run mine now,has sort of been a ,while only do jobs from recomendation,or locals if i dont like the look of them im out.got one lad with me who dont drink,drugs,gamble,nothing,saves his money.he collects money for me on his way home if enroute.totally trust worthy.

Best way mate, much better for your mental wellbeing ;) 

1 hour ago, gnasher16 said:

Its still the same logic though mate if you dont trust the man below you how can you possibly expect to trust the man below him....unless its a multi national company where people are going to slip through the cracks your average small business works on trust going down not up,it doesnt matter what rung of the ladder you're on you put your legals and project managers in place and they put their workforce in place its human nature for people to pass the buck and its always passed down thats how blame always works......so if im looking to blame somebody i totally trust then its on me.

The thing is I agree with all of what you are saying, there is no argument....but are talking about a very simple thing...no matter who your trusted management are...

Lads will set up on their own off the back of you, in matter what you do... I've always encouraged it as I believe in people progressing in life, and will help... but sometimes for whatever reason, they go about it the wrong way, tap your customer, grab a job etc...  I get trust, loyalty etc...I encourage it both ways, and differing to you believe trust should work going up as well as down, if your staff dont trust in you, or what you say why would you trust them?

But you've been very lucky or your an amazing judge of character if you have never had someone set up off the back of you for there own ends....in other words everyone you have ever employed or conducted business with has only ever worked with your best intentions only.... 

41 minutes ago, sid g said:

i had 2 houses i used to rent out and a painting company sold the lot mate the relief when it had all gone was un real ... it was all doing ok and ready to push on with buying another house to rent out ,once i sold up   i had money in the bank took a 2 year contract on ,on the books for a company worth 82k so money was coming in after the 2 year they offered me another year i gave it bollox retired at 50 slipped into buying and selling antiques and bric a brac did the fairs the flea markets ended up with a unit with a little shop  and loved it did that for 10 year and retired last year i help a mate out now if he`s busy ....not had anyone on my back for money for years no tax man no vat man not cry baby subbies to arse wipe no lads on the books to hold me to ransom i`m glad i got my ass out when i did  

Sounds like you done the hard work on the foundations, and it all came good. Hope one day ill be able to look back and be able to see something similar.

• Like 1
Just now, dogmandont said:

All you lads whinging about having lads work for you do realise that not only did you pay their wages but they made you yours. 

Can only speak for myself and pretty much everyone who has worked for me for any length of time are personal friends who I still talk with regularly... most site lads who started with us are running a gang of their own, and we use regular as sub contractors...because I trust them....

But I'm not blinkered to the behaviour of poor bosses and poor employees.... everyone's got their own struggles no matter where you sit mate....can honestly say I try and show appreciation to people who have or do work for me.... they may say something different...cause I'm.that b*****d who's boss...lol

• Like 1
1 minute ago, W. Katchum said:

I think I’d you are paying a guys wage then it should be dealt with the morning of the day it’s to be paid, lots guys have got banks on there case for direct debits an stuff on paydays an that can be a killer for some lads, boy I work with told us once he had 60 odd quid in charges once Cos his pay wasn’t in on time at his last job, fcuking hell thats robbery, our boss sorts ours the night before an it works for us, I don’t really rely on it that much but not everybody in same boat an if your good enough to make a profit of the guys under you, atleast pay the poor fcukers on time ?

Agreed mate, should be set on a bank run to drop at midnight on the day of pay...most people use an accounts package to run payroll, should all.be set up.on advance.... as you say most people live pay cheque to pay cheque so cant afford to be f****d about...its poor form if you do imo

8 minutes ago, dogmandont said:

All you lads whinging about having lads work for you do realise that not only did you pay their wages but they made you yours. 

Absolutely understand that mate, it’s a mutually beneficial arrangement and when lads recount these experiences they never have the good lads in mind.....I have had plenty of good lads work for me, they are the “go to” phone numbers when you need people.

But there’s a few who don’t understand the symbiotic nature of the agreement......and they are the ones I’m sure most lads have in mind in these type of discussions ?

• Like 1

Some contractors I have subbed work from in the past have been f***ing useless, keep you waiting round for matirals so you not earning.

Then when you hit them with an invoice you get " when I get payed you will be paid"  which in my book is wrong so they deserve to be stocked up 

5 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

Agreed mate, should be set on a bank run to drop at midnight on the day of pay...most people use an accounts package to run payroll, should all.be set up.on advance.... as you say most people live pay cheque to pay cheque so cant afford to be f****d about...its poor form if you do imo

A good moral mind set that is mate, however there is a flip side to that.

I remember writing 50 grands worth of wage cheques the week before Christmas once and me and the Mrs had f**k all left ! .........but I knew full well these lads would not have give you the drippings of their nose if you had been a spot later on.

I fact a couple proved it when a bump in the road came, it’s one way traffic all the time, never kid yourself it isn’t mate.

50 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

The thing is I agree with all of what you are saying, there is no argument....but are talking about a very simple thing...no matter who your trusted management are...

Lads will set up on their own off the back of you, in matter what you do... I've always encouraged it as I believe in people progressing in life, and will help... but sometimes for whatever reason, they go about it the wrong way, tap your customer, grab a job etc...  I get trust, loyalty etc...I encourage it both ways, and differing to you believe trust should work going up as well as down, if your staff dont trust in you, or what you say why would you trust them?

But you've been very lucky or your an amazing judge of character if you have never had someone set up off the back of you for there own ends....in other words everyone you have ever employed or conducted business with has only ever worked with your best intentions only.... 

This is where ive always said people bite off more than they can chew.....im not remotely smart enough,or even have the inclination enough to f**k about vetting and getting to know tradespeople and making sure they are of good character,thats someone elses job....but between me and them are people i trust,people of great value to me......and the reason they are of great value is they also have the same mindset which is simply about taking responsibilty and thats something nobody wants to do when the suns not shining,so what do you do all sit playing the blame game ?......if you have set yourself up around trust and loyalty then a manager shouldnt be blaming bad players.

12 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

This is where ive always said people bite off more than they can chew.....im not remotely smart enough,or even have the inclination enough to f**k about vetting and getting to know tradespeople and making sure they are of good character,thats someone elses job....but between me and them are people i trust,people of great value to me......and the reason they are of great value is they also have the same mindset which is simply about taking responsibilty and thats something nobody wants to do when the suns not shining,so what do you do all sit playing the blame game ?......if you have set yourself up around trust and loyalty then a manager shouldnt be blaming bad players.

Nobody is immune to getting a f***ing though mate, but I understand what you are saying....don’t blame them, blame yourself, totally get that.

However, I personally think it takes some amount of energy to go through life being hard nosed about everything and not everyone is cut out for it.....I know I ain’t, it gets me down. ?

On 08/04/2020 at 21:59, Blackmag said:

A lad I trained up I   payed for his driving lessons admittedly it benefited me  I even bought him a car when he passed and paid his deposit on his house and removal costs I never asked for a penny back has been going round some contracts I have trying to under cut me and got some on board  I know times are hard but I looked after this lad I feel gutted he couldn't talk to me or has done this but lesson learned 

Unfortunately money brings out the worst in people. 

Shit house trick 

5 hours ago, NEWKID said:

Can only speak for myself and pretty much everyone who has worked for me for any length of time are personal friends who I still talk with regularly... most site lads who started with us are running a gang of their own, and we use regular as sub contractors...because I trust them....

But I'm not blinkered to the behaviour of poor bosses and poor employees.... everyone's got their own struggles no matter where you sit mate....can honestly say I try and show appreciation to people who have or do work for me.... they may say something different...cause I'm.that b*****d who's boss...lol

Only met you the once over a couple of days ,and see your posts on here ,and I've no doubt your a decent bloke to work for ,not one to tolerate idiots  ,and no mug!