Lead ban

12 hours ago, terryd said:

The ban will only apply to shotguns.
They need to get exporting this stuff over here.

as for the old guns standard steel and bismouth I guess. Got few years yet so not an immediate worry.

Really, are you actually a shooter or anti who's joined to put your point across? Have you seen the prices?

In the US, 12 gauge no:6 pheasant rounds - $42.95 for 10 rounds and that's at a discount store!

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/brands/h/hevi-shot/

For a 25 round UK equivalent box, ignoring any slight variation as UK / US prices are usually pretty much on par these days, that's £107.38 per 25 round box.

Or £4,295.20 per 1,000.

Are you going to pay nearly £5,000 for a day on the pigeon at your local farm? That would buy you a small 2nd hand car.

For comparison, you can buy 1,000 pigeon cartridges for £250, making Hevi 20 times more expensive.

• Like 1

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I do use flintlocks, they are great. Can't talk about bow hunting, it's illegal. But if it wasn't......

Taliban have signed a peace treaty Gav ,dont think youl need all them now 

According to that video it is a voluntary ban they are looking for. None of the shooting organisations are legislators which is a good thing. I am not going to volunteer, but will continue t

Posted Images

Sorry but this is just a farse, are we going to go back to the days when you could buy heavily subsidised cartridges from varoius game conservency offices and others in order to shoot woodpigeon damaging crops. I fondly remember those days but cannot see it starting again in which case retired ole tarts like me will simply not bother taking the shotgun out on live quarry (possibly clay shooting as well which would seriously p1ss me off) and stick with pellets for my fac air rifle and rimfire until of course some arseoles decide that these need to be changed as well.   

As a side note, last year a guy I know came off the marsh with a couple of ducks only to be stopped by a DEFRA officer who insisted that he must scan the ducks to see what shot was used. Some kind of metal detector I am guessing. He was in the clear.

Phil

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Alsone said:

Really, are you actually a shooter or anti who's joined to put your point across? Have you seen the prices?

In the US, 12 gauge no:6 pheasant rounds - $42.95 for 10 rounds and that's at a discount store!

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/brands/h/hevi-shot/

For a 25 round UK equivalent box, ignoring any slight variation as UK / US prices are usually pretty much on par these days, that's £107.38 per 25 round box.

Or £4,295.20 per 1,000.

Are you going to pay nearly £5,000 for a day on the pigeon at your local farm? That would buy you a small 2nd hand car.

For comparison, you can buy 1,000 pigeon cartridges for £250, making Hevi 20 times more expensive.

https://www.ableammo.com/catalog/hevishot-hevi-metal-waterfowl-shotshells-30006-gauge-1500-fps-hevi-metal-shot-rdbx-p-123971.html

about 24 quid I think but they various ranges of shot 

Never been called an anti before lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

That is cheap. I've seen them around that for Hevi steel. Even at £25 though, that's still around 3 times the price of lead. Apologies for the anti-tag, looking at your post count you've been around a long time, guess we've not really posted together before. Thought you'd just joined. Should have looked for your posts. ?

Edited by Alsone
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, Alsone said:

That is cheap. I've seen them around that for Hevi steel. Even at £25 though, that's still around 3 times the price of lead. Apologies for the anti-tag, looking at your post count you've been around a long time, guess we've not really posted together before. Thought you'd just joined. Should have looked for your posts. ?

Don’t worry about it been called much worse lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
10 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

Yeah then bust a tooth eating my woodie meatloaf so they can shove more mercury in my mouth yeah, spot on!

One kidney and a busted smile. 

You are going to be in pretty bad shape. 

• Sad 1
19 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

Not much worse than now.

You know the saying ' face like a bulldog chewing a wasp'....well my face is like the bulldogs arse!

Could be worse it could be the face of a bulldog chewing a bulldog's arse.

Still might get better when those antique guns of your explode under those steel balls. Why pay BUPA when you can steel shoota? (I ought to write adverts :) )

11 minutes ago, timmytree said:

I've been having a good look at what guns will handle steel.

Basically no more than half choke on any shotgun. Barrels with standard proof marks should only use standard steel loads, NOT high power. High power loads should only be used in barrels that are steel proofed with the extra fleur de lys stamped in. That is where most of the reported damage has happened.  Your muzzleloaders will handle tungsten or bismuth.

The Danish have been using non lead without problems even in Damascus barrels.

The cost of bismuth or tungsten is prohibitive.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, timmytree said:

I've been having a good look at what guns will handle steel.

Basically no more than half choke on any shotgun. Barrels with standard proof marks should only use standard steel loads, NOT high power. High power loads should only be used in barrels that are steel proofed with the extra fleur de lys stamped in. That is where most of the reported damage has happened.  Your muzzleloaders will handle tungsten or bismuth.

The Danish have been using non lead without problems even in Damascus barrels.

Muzzloaders are low velocity. Steel needs velocity. It may be possible however as steel holds tighter patterns to increase powder and lower the load to up velocity. The only thing with that is the extra gas causing what is commonly known as doughnut patterns.