Lead ban

34 minutes ago, philpot said:

Whilst the outcome of this subject is well out of our hands, I have to totally agree with SD regarding the overall damage done by cars to life as a whole and while a plan is in place to go electric, that is such a can of worms, it is laughable.  As far as I am aware, and I readily stand to be corrected BUT is there any eveidence to show that lead from shotguns is doing ANY actual harm at all.  I am not saying for one moment that lead will do anyone any good but lead poisoning form shot...........................well is there.

Phil

Good question, I asked earlier too Phil.

If lead as a metal was so evil we would know of it via all the munition workers around the world, and there is some!

You simply can not confuse lead as an ore and in its metal state with lead compositions. Mixed with other elements to make a substance for specific requirements that also happens to become toxic.

Most of the know elements in their natural state are safe to handle.

Start mixing them or adding molecules and their nature completely changes and there is a toxicity created.

Lead is still used in industry. Glass, alloys etc. It is used in the nuclear industry. Divers use it. It is a vital metal even today. The banning of its use in sporting arms and ammunition is the typical pick on a minority group.

The ammunition makers are not coming out with alternative ammunition because they consider it progress! There are worried about their wages! Their share prices. That's not progress as some foolishly like to believe, it's a we've got you by the bullocks response!

Again, if they can make mercury safe enough to fill teeth I can shoot the metal lead out of a gun!

Bloody idiots.

Edited by Sausagedog
  • Like 1

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I do use flintlocks, they are great. Can't talk about bow hunting, it's illegal. But if it wasn't......

Taliban have signed a peace treaty Gav ,dont think youl need all them now 

According to that video it is a voluntary ban they are looking for. None of the shooting organisations are legislators which is a good thing. I am not going to volunteer, but will continue t

Posted Images

The hidden danger of heavy metals in catalytic converters

January 14, 2016
Zelinsky Institute of Organic Chemistry

Indeed, every modern car equipped with autocatalysts may release toxic heavy metals during engine operation. This fact hasn't been widely discussed and remains underestimated.

The present study was conducted by high school student Gleb Rukhovich under the supervision of Ph.D. student Leonid Romashov in the laboratory of Prof. Valentine Ananikov at Zelinsky Institute, Moscow. They demonstrated that contact with water facilitates simple platinum and palladium salts to aggregate into various clusters—chemical species, which contain more than one metal atom. It is an important observation, since the toxicity of clusters can significantly exceed the toxicity of simple salts. Therefore, the eco-toxicological danger of environmental pollution by heavy metals should become a crucial research subject.

If it's ok for the world to poison the environment from the above method then it's ok for me to shoot lead!

It's all bullocks! One rule for one and another for others.

• Like 1

@Sausagedog this is a GWCT quote.

What about ammunition for: rifle target shooting, including with muzzle loading and historic arms, clay shooting and live quarry rifle shooting (including pest control and large game shooting)?

Viable alternatives are being researched. Where lead ammunition is used in a contained environment, such as a range, or there is an absence of reasonable alternatives, we feel lead should continue to be used.

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, BenBhoy said:

@Sausagedog this is a GWCT quote.

What about ammunition for: rifle target shooting, including with muzzle loading and historic arms, clay shooting and live quarry rifle shooting (including pest control and large game shooting)?

Viable alternatives are being researched. Where lead ammunition is used in a contained environment, such as a range, or there is an absence of reasonable alternatives, we feel lead should continue to be used.

Thanks Ben.

I'll not be waiting on baited breath!

It looks to be about selling shot game, you know, the thousands of birds shot that no one wants, especially them that shot them! 

So while they try to improve their image the wee pot hunter, the sustenance hunter, the vermin hunter, the predator hunter gets roped in to!

I'm going to have to put this down now, it's making me ill. Where's that archery catalogue.....

• Like 1

Right, as a reluctant member of basc, ( membership is part of my subs to a wildfowling club ) i decided to phone them today. I had a lengthy conversation with a chap there during the course of which he said the shooting organisations aren't going to ask fir it to be made law. When i questioned him about the likes of 410s and none toxic ammo, he said they had made enquiries and found no one produced it. I could have told him that and no one ever will because for the 410 to be effective you need full chokes.

I asked if lead ammo would still be available in five years and he said yes it won't be illegal. So the upshot is the big syndicate and commercial shoots may well make it mandatory to use none toxic to improve their image and because they are trying to put the birds into the food chain. But it won't affect the likes of most of us who are only shooting for the pot and have no intentions of putting our shot birds into the commercial food chain.    

• Like 3
44 minutes ago, ianm said:

Right, as a reluctant member of basc, ( membership is part of my subs to a wildfowling club ) i decided to phone them today. I had a lengthy conversation with a chap there during the course of which he said the shooting organisations aren't going to ask fir it to be made law. When i questioned him about the likes of 410s and none toxic ammo, he said they had made enquiries and found no one produced it. I could have told him that and no one ever will because for the 410 to be effective you need full chokes.

I asked if lead ammo would still be available in five years and he said yes it won't be illegal. So the upshot is the big syndicate and commercial shoots may well make it mandatory to use none toxic to improve their image and because they are trying to put the birds into the food chain. But it won't affect the likes of most of us who are only shooting for the pot and have no intentions of putting our shot birds into the commercial food chain.    

Thank you for your effort. Much appreciated ?

Personally I don't see how it could be made law and enforced. They don't have enough police to tackle jehadi, drug dealers and home invasions!

• Like 3

Yus ,Boris,s much vaunted 20,000 new coppers is a fudgearama  according to the police federation ,by the time the new ossifers are trained another 30,000 will have retired through ill health,olld age and time served <20 years service and retire>.So they will be still in arrears and a bit and will struggle to find enough people to open an envelope never mind root through your cartridge bag ,the heart is willing but is there anyone there ?

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, Baldcoot said:

Yus ,Boris,s much vaunted 20,000 new coppers is a fudgearama  according to the police federation ,by the time the new ossifers are trained another 30,000 will have retired through ill health,olld age and time served <20 years service and retire>.So they will be still in arrears and a bit and will struggle to find enough people to open an envelope never mind root through your cartridge bag ,the heart is willing but is there anyone there ?

The whole country is fudged....I use to think it was my eyes but it's not, it's completely fudged!

There is no more live and let live. Hollywood has taught generations that anything is possible when in reality it is not!

Everyone now believes they can have green electric, not when the wind stops you can't! People are told that a company is now carbon neutral. No they ain't it's bullocks. Vegans don't wear leather shoes, they wear plastic, plastic made from oil, oil that is made from animals. 

Eco warriors go to protest marches in vans, cars and buses emitting carbon!

Oh it's fudged alright and any minority group better watch out!

Edited by Sausagedog

Corectamundo ,the nickel cadmium in the SO GREEN electric cars no let me see, Brazil nickel sent on a boat to china putting out 85 cars an hour of fumes for 3 to 4 weeks .The  cadmium mined in Aus and shipped in a big boat to china for processing into batteries which are then shipped to say Toyotas plant to be fitted to hybrid cars  .

And hmg has admitted if this septic isle of ours does go green and all electric theres a small problem we dont make enough elastic trickery to plug in 30 million cars so massive power outages would follow unless we go ahem er woo Nuclear and humans dont do that very well at all do we 

• Haha 1
36 minutes ago, Baldcoot said:

Corectamundo ,the nickel cadmium in the SO GREEN electric cars no let me see, Brazil nickel sent on a boat to china putting out 85 cars an hour of fumes for 3 to 4 weeks .The  cadmium mined in Aus and shipped in a big boat to china for processing into batteries which are then shipped to say Toyotas plant to be fitted to hybrid cars  .

And hmg has admitted if this septic isle of ours does go green and all electric theres a small problem we dont make enough elastic trickery to plug in 30 million cars so massive power outages would follow unless we go ahem er woo Nuclear and humans dont do that very well at all do we 

Yes I also heard about the charging situation for all these cars would create a massive shortage of electric power so a huge increase in power station/wind farm/solar/wave power/ or what the fcuk else they come up with.  Perhaps stopping the closure of Sizewell may be in order as they are only about 5 years into the shut down, have it restarted and up to full strength in another five years which joking apart, could be really needed.

So far I have not been able to establish just how much it costs in electric to fully charge a car,  how long it takes and lastly, who owns the battery because there are some electric vehicles where the owner of the van / car doesn't own the battery and after 12 months, you have to pay a fee annually to use the battery or the battery owner can simply switch them off so you are caught between a rock and a hard place.

My wife and I are relaxing in Anglesey for a couple of days watching the latest storm building up nicely but on route here we popped into a couple of motorway services where I noted there were three charger stations serving five cars which when you think there were about 200 cars in the car park, is not going to go very far in serving the fleet of vehicles parked up. I can just see the length of queing cars waiting to get on a charger.

I will shut up now.........

Phil

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

New batteries needed every 3/4 years and you pay .Prius service exchange 1700 of your quids, the famous Nissan leaf around 3000 of your pounds. Mmmm not so economical to run are they and mr mechanics have to fit them I believe the price "how much,bloody hell" 

• Like 1