SUPER POACHERS ??????

Me and my mate 30 odd years ago went all over the place used butcher delivery bikes dogs in the basket in front with lamp only 10 minutes and we were all over the place plenty rabbits then.was years before they found out who we were got caught going home from the pup with someone sitting in the basket happy days with not a care in the world

• Like 1

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lol. 68 and still above ground mate, still ferreting three days a week if I can this time of year. Fishing in the summer, fungi and foraging in the autumn. Use it or lose it. Cheers Arry

think the art of stealthy poaching went out the window when people started lobbing bull crosses out of subarus and tearing up fields , then plastering catch pics all over facebook , I count myself luc

No mobile phones no hidden cameras no old bill in fekin helicopters us that did a bit from the 70s to the early 90s had easey compaired to now days.lol

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Greyman said:

I was out having a little wander round somewhere I was not meant to be a while back and went a little to close to the perimeter fence of a local chemical giant and must have set off some form of motion detector as I had several pick up trucks racing across the fields in my direction within minutes, but while I was sat in a hedge with the dogs dressed in real tree I had a load of security personal dressed in high viz trying to avoid puddles looking for me, communicating with each other using hand signals, I sat there for 30mins pissing myself laughing before slipping off through the hedge and back out through the hole in the fence I’d come in from, so the advent of technology has made the chasers as useless as the chased in most cases, ? 

I "bumped" into some hunt sabs on permission a few months back whilst lamping...they were a pain in the ass...I gave them a nice yomp around the most hilly part of the perm, before disappearing into some maize with the dogs...fir half an hour I watched them, lights everywhere, walkie talkies.. some bloke and a bird walked right over me, no more than 3ft away....I slipped into a wood above the field and waited for them to f**k off before going to the motor...I was doing nothing wrong but didn't want my car as a target for the pricks...its amazing how little field craft people have, if you've poached most of your life you can normally slip away fairly easily!! Lol

Edited by NEWKID
  • Like 3
29 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

I "bumped" into some hunt sabs on permission a few months back whilst lamping...they were a pain in the ass...I gave them a nice yomp around the most hilly part of the perm, before disappearing into some maize with the dogs...fir half an hour I watched them, lights everywhere, walkie talkies.. some bloke and a bird walked right over me, no more than 3ft away....I slipped into a wood above the field and waited for them to f**k off before going to the motor...I was doing nothing wrong but didn't want my car as a target for the pricks...its amazing how little field craft people have, if you've poached most of your life you can normally slip away fairly easily!! Lol

( It's  amazing how little field craft people have, if you've ( been out on the land,)  a lot of your life,  you can normally slip away fairly easily!! Lol )

Some years ago the dog and I were coming off of the fields back to car after an afternoon decoying.  I was well worn and had made one trip already with kit and was on last trip when this bloke from a house along the track started shouting and waving his arms about.  He was a two bit actor who was an anti and was always shouting about when he was lubricated.  I had no wish to engage with him and kept on track back to my car along a row of big oaks at the edge of the field. He was walking towards me. At a strategic point the dog and I  walked round a tree and he passed on the other. We had just disappeared!  The dog and I got back to the car loaded up and I  looked across  the field to see this twerp standing by the style with his hands on his hips scanning the other field lòking for a ghost.  Another time when I was walking my ground lamping  when  I noticed a torchlight searching the fields for me. most of the time out there I run black so they had no idea where I  was. The person tried to be clever and go black also.  I stood against a hedge and watched a house light a good mile in the distance. Eventually the person crossed the beam so giving their position away. When they got to the pumping station on the river they were torching around the fields. Then they started back along the river bank. Again they went black but broke the light from a couple of sources.  When they had gone away I continued. They would never have found me because I would have just slipped away. The advent of thermal and IR have changed things slightly although not many casually have this and the IR illumination isn't very power full. Technology is good but can be detected if you know how.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, NEWKID said:

The art of stealthy poaching seems all but lost in the age of technology!!

Doing it as a group thing is the downfall for most. I found that out as a young man & it was fcuking embarrassing! Never really had a problem on my own...... I always preferred just looking out for myself instead worrying about other pricks behaviour ?

• Like 3

There is something very magical when you are totally in your element, no were every little gap in the hedge is or tree over a stream and can move around un noticed without the need for a big torch or to keep in touch with others through mobiles and walkie talkies, I could run a bit in my youth but don’t need to now I,m older and wiser ??

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Greyman said:

There is something very magical when you are totally in your element, no were every little gap in the hedge is or tree over a stream and can move around un noticed without the need for a big torch or to keep in touch with others through mobiles and walkie talkies, I could run a bit in my youth but don’t need to now I,m older and wiser ??

That night with the sabs I was on my home ground, I know every bit of that place and there is over 1000 acres there... they were taken on a yomp until I'd had enough fun then I sat and watched them... it's sad that for years weve avoided keepers and farmers and now it.seema the sabs are worse.... 

Another one...

I was out with Geth (white van man) one night, on permission...we'd lampedusa a few fields when we saw vehicle lights steaming around a field we'd just left...even on permission  for some reason the instinct kicks in to sit back and watch..we saw lights being flicked around and it was obvious they were looking for us... they left the field and went up the road to the top.of the farm and away...we kept the lamps off for 10 minutes or so and walked in the dark to another part...carried on...after 30 minutes or so, we're coming to the brow of a hill between 2 small woods silhouetted at the top (about 50 yards away) is a bloke with a gun over his shoulder...I walk straight at him.quietly and when were quite close put the lamp on and say "hey..what are you looking for"

The bloke is a bit startled but says ah it's our lampers, weve been looking for you..

"We,?? I'm thinking who are you with...

I give the farmers name who's permission we're on..and he says come and meet someone .

So we walk behind him to a gator, in the front seat is a weather worn elder woman...

Rough voice asks us what we were lamping... rabbits  we say, for David (farmer).... 

She asks us if weve seen anything else... oh no just rabbits...lol..

Well she says, I know who you are now, can you come and do the ferreting on my land....

Her land was opposite, at that time it was like water ship down, wed been jumping the fence for a couple of years.....luckily she had found us on permission and now I had permission on hers...

She a proper old fashioned farmer, ran lurches, terriers the lot..

I've sat at her table and talked alot over a coffee, shes blunt as they come...I really like her... 

I'm glad we gave ourselves up that night...lol

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Reading these replies it is  obvious there are not many people left who can remember those old Keepers  because if you thought that you could walk around their patch with a Spotlight catching Rabbits they would soon educated , these were tough Men and everything on their side Dogs could be shot for just being on the land , they could dish out as much violence as they  liked and any court in the land would back them up so if you wanted to be the owner of a dead Dog , have a lump on your nut the size of an Egg and spend the next few days while  waiting for your summons by trying to prise a Million Candle power lamp  out yer BUM crack on .

• Like 1
5 hours ago, NEWKID said:

The art of stealthy poaching seems all but lost in the age of technology!!

think the art of stealthy poaching went out the window when people started lobbing bull crosses out of subarus and tearing up fields , then plastering catch pics all over facebook , I count myself lucky to have been taught by someone who was not just a poacher but a country man who respected his quarry and loved the wildlife around him 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, steve66 said:

think the art of stealthy poaching went out the window when people started lobbing bull crosses out of subarus and tearing up fields , then plastering catch pics all over facebook , I count myself lucky to have been taught by someone who was not just a poacher but a country man who respected his quarry and loved the wildlife around him 

Exactly the same as me mate.... my best friend from 6 years old until he passed 5 years ago.... I miss him.like f**k to be honest, fishing, hunting, nesting...it was all an adventure when I was a kid with him...we poached everywhere, I dont think he had any permission..lol

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, micky said:

Reading these replies it is  obvious there are not many people left who can remember those old Keepers  because if you thought that you could walk around their patch with a Spotlight catching Rabbits they would soon educated , these were tough Men and everything on their side Dogs could be shot for just being on the land , they could dish out as much violence as they  liked and any court in the land would back them up so if you wanted to be the owner of a dead Dog , have a lump on your nut the size of an Egg and spend the next few days while  waiting for your summons by trying to prise a Million Candle power lamp  out yer BUM crack on .

I was born 76, first time lamping I was 6...so 82...

Started messing on my own at 12 or 13...never on permission but probably not on keepered land... farmland mainly... so if we're talking 60s and 70s then yeah way before this youngsters time...lol

25 minutes ago, micky said:

I don't think they died out in the sixtys though Wentworth estate near me had one through to the 80s that shot dogs on site and was known for threatning people with guns another keeper from the Selby area known for violence and once setting his attack trained Rottweiler on an old boy poaching was another keeper it was best to avoid both of them now dead.

32 minutes ago, micky said:

You've been reading tales of the old poachers again haven't you Micky, by my calculations you must be at least 143 years old! Next you'll be telling us how the keepers used to set man traps and you could be sent to the colonies for stealing thruppence , etc, etc....

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

all the old boys I used to talk to. (long dead). were horrified at the thought of lamping they used to say you may as well knock on keepers, farmers etc, door and tell them your coming. they were all longnetting men what they called proper poaching. 

• Like 3